1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

high(ish) volume clean combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bscepter, Feb 8, 2006.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

Asking too much, perhaps. But my other guitarist is looking for a 2x12 combo that offers fairly decent headroom, but won't break his back (or his bank).

He's looking at a Tweed Twin (lo-power) clone at the moment, but he already plays a Blues Breaker (which he thinks breaks up too early with his R7 Les Paul), and I was worried the TT might be too similar, nice though it is.

What do you guys think? He'd like to stay near a grand, if possible.

2. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

A Twin really is the way to go. Most people have a hard time getting one to break up, and when they do, the volume is unusably loud (if there is such a thing)!

Other than that, if he's willing to experiment, bass amps have WAY more head room than guitar amps. Maybe he should give some 200+ watt amps a try. I doubt he'd be able to drive one to break up.

But really he should be good with a Twin.

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yep, Twins are sweet. I hear the Dual Professionals are pretty nice as well as the Vibro Kings but make sure you get the right Vibro King. There were 2 different ones made check the reverb tube I think..........one is more sought after than the other.

Good luck.

PS My OD-100 clean sound KILLS so if you can find a combo of one of those.........

Chris

4. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Tell him to look for a Blackface Bassman head and 2x12 cab. We're in the midwest, these are plentiful here, and still relatively cheap.

I know what he means about clean headroom and a Bluesbreaker, I'm using one now with the band, and frankly I didn't notice it was much cleaner than my Vox AC15. Last night for the Beatles tunes I was cranking my treble and the bright channel to try to get more squeeky clean as well as using my Hotcake as a clean boost. The amp sounds great to just rock out on, but its not to great for clean-ish stuff.

5. coxswain

coxswain Guest

I would check oute the Tone King Metior II 40 watt. Very shimmery and glassy clean sound. It has enough head room as well.

6. coxswain

coxswain Guest

Didn't see the price range of about a grand. Better find a used one.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The best loud, clean amp without a doubt is a Gibson GA-30RVS. They turn up on ebay quite often. Those things sound huge. Don't let its 30 watts fool you. It's a loud amp.

8. bscepter

bscepter Member

That's funny -- he's got a GA30RVT, which he's selling because it's too damned heavy! But it sounds great -- I used it while I was waiting for my Hayseed.

On edit: I suggested the BF Bassman idea. I still don't get why these things are so relatively cheap (no 'verb and/or trem, I guess). But he really wants a combo.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

My friend just ordered a high-power Tweed Twin (5F8-A) from Sligo Amplification. They're Weber kits, but this one has a MM OT and choke and Weber AlNiCos. Should be pretty decent for $1,100 shipped.

Thanks for the input.

10. Dann'sTheMan

Dann'sTheMan Member

South East, UK - dissecting yet another Huff solo
    Check out the Mesa F-50 and F-100. The F-100 is a 2x12 and will benefit from increased headroom. The widebody F-50 1x12 sounds very similar to my ears, and is much lighter. Both amps are bone-crunchingly loud. I've witnessed my F-50's clean headroom at an outdoor gig, and cranked, it is a thing of beauty. :cool:

FWIW, I have some clips of my F-50 over in this thread. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

11. Roe

Roe Member

koch moltitone 100 with kt88s. Loud and clean as hell. But it's a bit heavy.

12. sus4

sus4 Member

I'd say for him to try a 12AT7 in the preamp. He probably has 12AX7s in there now. It'll make a BIG difference.

The Tweed Twin is a thing of beauty. I'd ask Jim at Li'l Dawg Amp (www.littledawgamps.com) if he can do one of those. I think he could do it well under a grand.

Daniel

13. DavidE

DavidE Member

Breaking his back might be the key. Twins and similar amps are heavy. I was going to suggest a PV JSX combo as the clean channel really does stay very clean, but I'm guessing it's heavy.

14. Shea

Shea Member

They should be. All other things being equal, more clean headroom requires more iron, and so heavier amps.
    The alternative is to go solid state, or look into using more efficient speakers.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but it seems to me that the difference in volume between a speaker rated at 98 db and one rated at 101 db ought to be the same as the effect of doubling the amp's power.

Back to comparing amps, though, a hi-powered tweed twin clone weighs a bit less than a Twin Reverb and is plenty loud. I made one for myself, and with a quad of 5881s and Weber alnico speakers, it gives up a lot of good, loud clean tone. Mine breaks up a sort of early on the volume dials because I run a 12AX7 in V1, but it gets good and loud before that point, when it's still clean.

Shea

15. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've got a Mullard CV4024 (12AT7), which I can lend him. We'll see how that works.