1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

High Octane Slide

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Guitar Dave T, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

This is a short clip from Revival's show at The Hole in The Wall in Dallas, Texas, last Saturday:

http://www.guitardavetaylor.com/HITW-07-01-06_FeelinAlrightSlideGuitar.mp3

Excerpt taken from our favorite end-of-the-night, pull-out-the-stops, groove-driven, feel-good dance song. This solo is heavily influenced by the Dallas based 70's band, "Fancy Space and The Rockin' Rhythm Daddys, featuring the amazing Bugs Henderson on guitar.

Gear used: Gibson SG 1961 Reissue with WCR Coils pickups, my old Coricidin bottle slide (cir. 1978), Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive -> Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer, 1993 Fender tweed Blues Deluxe with Celestion 12" Vintage 30 speaker, Mogami cables.

Enjoy!

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

What - 23 views and no replies? Ok, I'll restir and set the pot on simmer: What read "high octane" should have read "spirited but rough around the edges". Slid into the wrong notes at times. Crappy recording quality - whaddya do - hang a mic from the ceiling? Uh, yes. Rushed. But I had a blast - it was live and the crowd was crammed into the dance floor and halfway onstage, it was the end of the night and I was keeping faithfull to the old saying, "never let pride or musicianship stand in the way of entertainment". ;-) BTW, I used to play slide, but layed off for almost 30 years. Started back again two years ago, and there are still things I hear but cannot execute the way I once could. Very frustrating, but, OTOH, my skills come honestly - I sucked for years before being any good. Why should slide be any different.

3. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

I listened to this a couple days ago and should of replied........
    very cool dude.....real nice playing on an old nightclub classic.....
    glass (corricidan) always sounds better to me so I really dug your tone....
    sounds like a great crowd and gig!

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thanks, Sub. It was a great crowd. We were concerned about light turnout, it being the holiday weekend. Then as we rolled up to loadin, the sky burst open torrential rain. Not good.

But then everyone showed up anyway and we had a great time. Very spirited, somewhat rough around the edges night, which suited us fine.

5. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Your band sound good. Good tone on the slide. I've been thinking about getting a 61 reissue SG. How do you like it?

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

This is my 2nd '61 reissue (first was a 1987 '62 reissue, same basic guitar). By far, my favorite axe, hands down. Warm, rich, organic woman tone. Flat, fast neck, has the spank and sparkle of a Strat and the growl of a Gibson. Sounds killer with pedals, sounds incredible plugged straight into a slightly overdriven tube amp, this guitar is the ****.

I also love this guitar's ability to really surprise people. I once did a blues pickup gig with Andrea Dawson in Dallas. The drummer was a road warrior from Marsha Ball's band. I arrived early and he was the only other player there. We made our introductions, and I set my old Vibrolux onstage, then pulled the SG out of the case. He took one look at the SG, and with fear in his voice, he asked, "Uh, you know this is a BLUES gig, right?" ;-)