High Order pups, is it January yet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ABKB, Nov 21, 2005.

1. ABKB

ABKB Member

Well I just ordered some High order pickups, and will hopefully have them in January. They will be going into a Epi Dot (I know I know, cheap POS) 335 clone that I have put major upgrades to. Locking tuners, bone nut, and now the pickups. I ordered a AlNiCo 5, 9k-ish in the bridge and AlNiCo 3 8.3 in the neck, with nickel covers and 4 conductor wire for coil splitting. I wanted something fairly bold in the bridge and something that sounded "alive" in the neck and still have a little sweetness too.

I gotta say, Jeff has been a breeze to work with on this and very helpful in getting the exact pickups I wanted. I am looking forward to trying these babies out as the stock pups are just dead sounding. Anybody out there use High Order? Like em, love em, hate em?

2. jcs

jcs Member

i love my highorders, great build quality and tone and i own lots of gibson and duncans ..

i got mine back when jeff was getting started,tube tramp(terry kilgore who played with david lee roth) recommended them to me early on and i have yet to see nothing but praise for highorder pickups...

at his prices(for now, which i dont see how he can make much profit) i think it is worth ordering several while the price is low ;)

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

Not a bad idea JCS. :)

4. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Member

Cheap? maybe. POS, never! Incredible bang for the buck.

I dig my Epi Sheraton (upgrade with TV Jones 'Trons) and Epi Dot Studio (upgraded with SD Phat Cats).

5. ABKB

ABKB Member

My bad, yes you do have a great point donny. They are great bang for the buck guitars, and stock they can get you close to 335 land. For me I have really put a lot into it to get it to where I can really LOVE it. When I first got my Dot, it sounded a bit brittle, so I had the nut changed, then it just would not stay in tune so I had the tuners changed. Now it will hold a tune, but is just missing that "sumthin". this should be the last piece of the puzzle. It is a beautiful guitar (as are the Sheratons) and it's so close I can taste it. Just as you did, needs that extra push to get it to where it needs to go.

6. JLee

JLee Member

Love my High Orders. I have a set in each of my Tokai's, a Love Rock LS200 and a SG. I've had Gibsons, Duncans and Fralins and the High Orders hold their own no problem.

7. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I got some High Order P-90s for an Agile AS820. It took six or eight weeks from the time I ordered them until I got them. Take my word for it, his pickups are more than worth the wait... :dude

8. ABKB

ABKB Member

Thanks mp, THATS what I wanted to hear! :)

9. tommyg

tommyg Member

10. ABKB

ABKB Member

Thanks TommyG, yes I read your review and it was one of the reasons I went with HO pickups, so thanks for your input. The price helps too but I am also amazed at the service I have been getting from Jeff. Really a standup guy and VERY helpful.

11. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

That Agile with the HO P-90s has become my go to guitar, even over my Les Paul Special with Lollar P-90s. It screams, but cleans up real nice when I roll back on the volume. And because the axe is semi-hollow (it's Agile's 335 knockoff) I can get incredible feedback even at moderate volumes. The stock pickups would just squeal, whereas the HOs howl at the moon....

12. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've got a Maximus and an A3 8.5k in one Agile and a set of A2 P90's in another. Amazing pickups! The A2 P90's are my holy grail pickups. I just landed another Agile (2800 CSB) off ebay for a price I couldn't refuse. Got a set of A2 HB's on order for it. 8.5k and 7.8k IIRC. Those should be in around Christmas time.

Jeff is a pleasure to business with. I correspond with him almost daily on another BBS. Superb fellow.

Word to those that ordered. His grandfather recently passed away. I think he attends the funeral this week. Might push orders back a few days.

13. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

So how is that Maximus? I am a huge WCR fan but just curious what you think of that Maximus. Sounds like it straddles the vintage/modern and low/high output fence.

14. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I missed this thread earlier.

The Maximus does, indeed, straddle that fence. Not quite a vintage tone, but not a buzzy, overwound pickup tone either. Fun pickup to play!