1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

High Order recommendations for my Agile AL-3000 Prestige

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Reeek, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'm getting ready to order some high order pickups for my Agile AL-3000 Prestige Goldtop and am asking for opinions and recommendations.

I'm also going to get some for my Carvin CT6M

For Agile I'm thinking: (I want vintage tone)

7.8k AlNiCo 3 neck unpotted

8.5k AlNiCo 3 bridge unpotted

Should I stick with the unpotted or not?

I also want the nickel covered pickups but his website says they are 50mm only. Does that mean how wide they are? That's pretty darned wide. All the other covered pickups I measured including the existing Agile pickups are around 38.10mm x 64.47mm give or take a tad. Basically they measure 1.5 inches by 2.75 inches.

Does anyone know what Jeff's covered pickups measure out to?

If I can't fit his covered pickups, I'll go with ivory since the pickup rings are ivory.

And how about the measurements on his uncovered pickups?

I'm sending him another email but I sent one last week that went unanswered.

Any suggestions for my Carvin CT6M? It's a PRS style double cutwaway, all mahogany, set neck, ebony board.

Thanks again

2. Antero

Antero Member

You going to stick with similar tones for the two, Reeek, or are you going to go for contrast?

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

Not sure Antero. I went ahead and ordered the pair for the Agile first to see what's up with them. I got alnico 3, potted, 7.8 neck and 8.5 bridge, nickel covered.

I'll want pickup specs for the CT6M that suit that type of guitar whatever that is.

4. grinder965

grinder965 Member

Hey Reeek,

Let me know what Jeff says.....interesting I just ordered a set...same specs as you...with nickle covers....unless you say otherwise I think Jeff pots the P/U's. Just assumed the pups and covers are standard size and will fit right into one of my LP's.

Mike

5. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Sounds similar to what I got: 8.3K Bridge/7.8K Neck, both with A2 magnets, both potted. I think you're going to like them - I love mine. I have a Les Paul Classic and I never got along with the stock ceramic pickups in those. These highorder pickups really brought this guitar to life - I can play anything on it now. Early Clapton, Peter Green, Led Zep etc through to Slash stuff.
    I cant really comment on the size because I got them uncovered and they fit into the existing holes without any problems.

6. tommyg

tommyg Member

Hey Reeek...

I have a pair of HighOrder pups in my Heritage 150 Les Paul. Here's the link to the thread...
    http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104921

My pups are unpotted and with the nickel covers. They fit directly in the original pup slots w/no problems. It's as vintage as you can get.

In short...these pups are absolutely phenomenal!

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

I can't wait guys. Thanks!
    He told me that the pickup dimensions are vintage perfect and they will fit any rings. He said he has threee Agiles himself . . . He also said that the 50mm noted on his page is the pole piece spacing between the two outer pole pieces. Probably because Gibson is 49mm according to Jeff. He probably can't legally do 49mm

He was also told he can't do double ivory because he was threatened with legal activity if he did it. He said he can do double ivory UNDER the cover only ;)

I'm stoked and can't wait to hear them . . .

After I get them, I'll decide on the Carvin replacements. I need black uncovered for those so no problem on the fit. Even if I have to do a little Dremel work on the pickup routing. Maybe not though.

8. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I've got Highorders in A-2 7.8k neck, and 8.5k bridge. I absolutely love these pickups. In fact, from now on when I need humbuckers, Jeff is going to be my go to guy. They are they best humbuckers I've bought, and the price is incredible for what you get.

9. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I've got a 7.8 A3 and a 8.3 A2 in my Tokai SG and Tokai LS-200. Love these pickups. Far exceeded my expectations. It's cool that Jeff is now offering covers.

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm strongly considering some of these. How do they compare to say a Duncan JB/'59 combo in a Les Paul? I'm looking at wax potted uncovered:

A5 bridge at 8.6
    A2 neck at 7.3