High output humbucker question

TheGuildedAge

I have a Guild S-100 with a duncan JB in the bridge. I'm getting distortion when clean through my amp. I tried lowering the pickups, but it's till there. My other guitars have lower output pickups and don't do it, so I am assuming it's the jb.

I'm thinking of going to another duncan humbucker with less output to solve the problem.

Any thoughts on a good one. I need something that can do nice cleans, thick leads, and play nice with the Duncan 59 in the neck. I'm thinking Custom 5 or Custom Custom.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
How is your picking technique? The JB is pretty sensitive to attack - it's not my favorite pickup as it tends to drive easily, but it's a great sounding pickup in the right context. Just because a pickup is "high output" doesn't necessarily mean it's all drive and gain.

For instance - I installed a set of OEM DiMarzio P3's and HS3 in a Kramer Striker expecting an overdrive monster as they read @ 17k and have screws on both coils, but I'm really surprised at how clean they sound. (I think they were wound for Parker)

Also - what are your electronics like? Pots, Caps, etc - that plays a big role in the tone chase.

TheGuildedAge

My attack varies when I play. The strumming that gets me crunch with the jb doesn't get as much crunch with my other pickups.

As for pots, I think they are 500K, with whatever caps are stock on a guild, I never checked.

TheGuildedAge

I guess it's as much the tone as anything. I want a cleaner, not harsh sound, something for nice cleans, but smooth, rich overdrive.

diamonddavewv

The JB has the reputation of having a nasty spike in the upper-mids with a 500K pot.

Unless you need a hotter pickup, why not go with the 59 Bridge? If you need a hotter pickup, the Alnico II magnet in the Custom Custom will soften the bass and treble and give more mids than the Alnico V in the Custom 5.

Trending Topics