high output strat PUs?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisjnyc, Nov 25, 2019.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Get a Fender MIM bridge pickup from the last decade. The one with two dual ceramic magnets. Those were designed to go from classic tones (when flush with the pickguard) to hot blues tones (when close to the strings). They have more output than the weaker Alnico 5. People tended to not like them "because I can tell a difference" when set at the same Fender 'spec' height, so don't use the book, use your ears.

A few years back Fender was selling Tele bridge pickups in the 10kohm range with ceramic magnets, put a steel baseplate under that and you'll have a hot bridge pickup. I have one of them in a Tele of mine. Or get any Tele bridge pickup and make sure to add a steel (not other metals) baseplate and that 'doubles' the output by reflecting the magnetic flux lines back at the strings.

Get a Steel baseplate for your current Strat pickup.

Put a series blender option in the guitar. I like to play classic SSS Strats but mod them (it's a wiring only change) with the Armstrong Blender so the second tone pot blends between SSS and HSH. That way if an amp needs a little or a lot of push I can just spin it up to breakup/etc. Hard switching you are stuck at either weak single or fizzy hot humbucker. A pair of generic Strat pickups at 6k when in series give you 12kohms that is in the range of all the hot humbuckers which is 50% more than a PAF.

2. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Do you use a 250K potentiometer with it?

3. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Mojotone Two-face - punchy, thicker than standard pickups

4. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

Joe Bardens. High output but still retains much fo the clear strat character.

5. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Silver Supporting Member

Depends on the natural tone of the guitar. I tune volume pot values with resistors to take that into account, sometimes on a per-pickup basis (I always use a superswitch for a variety of reasons). Anything between 250k and 550k can work depending how bright or dark the instrument is.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

7. Gclef

Gclef Member

Harmonic design vintage plus or s90