High pitch sound coming from amp..ugh!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GregWV, Feb 25, 2012.

1. GregWV

GregWV Member

I've got a new VoxAC15HW1 and when I play certain chords I get a high pitched note that sounds like a spring rattling.

Microphonic tube?

Or, is it just the speaker making the tubes rattle?

2. rgee27

rgee27 Supporting Member

Microphonic tube for sure... tap each tube with a pencil to see which one is making the noise.

3. GregWV

GregWV Member

Tap with pencil While it is on? What will it sound like?

Power tube or pre amp tube?

Could it be rectifier?

Thanks- I have gig in morning.

4. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Well... I can't say for sure what the root cause is for that high pitched note that sounds like a spring rattling. Yeah, might be a microphonic tube...

So... anyway... usually the first step in TS'ing a tube amp is to swap in different "known good" tubes. Lacking a spare tube inventory, I guess the next best thing would be to swap tubes from one location to another. A microphonic tube in V1 might not have the same effect in Vx... x being anything other than 1. ;-)

5. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

yes tap the tubes while it is on and the guitar volume is up. If it rings or makes a noise then it may be microphonic. Tubes are kinda cheap, so go buy a few preamp tubes before your gig (most likely the problem, cross your fingers) and replace the ones you have. If it fixes the problem (which over %50 over the time it will) then you are lucky. If not, you want a tech to look at it if you are inept. That is a nice amp, so putting a little love into it is gonna be worth it. Cheers!