Sold High powered 5E3

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs Emporium Archive' started by cgharrison, Aug 8, 2017.

1. cgharrison

cgharrison Supporting Member

This is a high powered 5E3 I put together. It sounds glorious. Here are the specs:
    • Hand wired on terminal strips using NOS wire, carbon comp and metal film resistors, and Mallory caps.
    • Fender transformers
    • Mojotone wide panel deluxe cabinet, finished in nitro lacquer
    • Celestion Gold 8 ohm speaker
    • Switchcraft, Carling, and CTS hardware
    • TAD 6L6WGC-STR power tubes, NOS preamp tubes (12AX7 and 12AY7)
    I have also included my favorite mods to the circuit:
    • Normal/bright channel mods. The stock bright channel of the 5E3 is all stock, but just wired to the normal input. The bright channel is a reproduction of the normal channel, but with a smaller .022 coupling capacitor (the other channel sports a stock .1 uf cap) to cut down on bass and play well with humbuckers and the like. The magical channel interactivity is still there, and functions the same as a stock 5E3.
    • V2A cathode bypass capacitor lift. The switch next to the speaker jack lifts the cathode bypass cap for V2. This lowers the gain of the amp, and allows for really beautiful, higher-volume tweed cleans by reducing preamp distortion.
    • Solid state rectifier. I love the tone of the 5E3 circuit, and the spongy sag it provides, but feel that this can go too far, especially higher up on the volume knob. This circuit replaces the saggy tube rectifier with solid state diode rectification, which really helps the sound - the soft 5E3 feel is still there, but just not quite so pronounced. Solid state rectification translates to a sound the holds together better under heavy distortion, cuts great through a mix, and has a quicker transient response.
    • Extra filtering. Another contributor to the at-times overly soft feeling of the 5E3 circuit is it's relatively light amount of filtering. I have beefed up the power amp filtering, while leaving the preamp filter caps at their stock values. This means softness where you want it (in the preamp, where the tone happens) and firmness where you don't (the power amp), and also a quieter, less noisy amp overall.
    A quick note: many of the "Proluxe" high powered 5E3 amps use fixed bias, a la the high powered tweed amps of the time. In this amp, I've stuck with cathode bias, just like the original 5E3. I feel that fixed bias robs this circuit too much of what makes it great - compression, sustain, and that singing overdrive. The softness of the cathode bias setup, in tandem with the more stout filtering and solid state rectifier, really make for a magical combination.

That's it. I know this isn't a name brand amp, but I guarantee it's built to last, and sounds every bit on par with some of the finest amps out there. I'm only selling to finance the next build - my price is only what I have invested in the amp, plus a few bucks for shipping. Please contact me with any questions, and thanks for looking.

$600 shipped in the conUS, paypal add 3%

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Todd Lynch likes this.
  2. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

3. Fillmore68

Fillmore68 Supporting Member

If i was not me (i.e, a person with way too many amps) I would buy this thing in a hot second. This guy clearly knows what he is doing. This is the bargain of the month on gearpage.

Todd Lynch likes this.
  4. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

5. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I almost bought this within 20m of it being up- congrats to the buyer!!