High powered Celestion closest to the Greenback RI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by papersoul, Jan 19, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys,

Not trying to start an argument, does a speaker exist that is high powered that is similar to the Celestion greenback RI 25? Not the Heritage. The import Reissue is my favorite. I mix those with Lynchbacks in my 412 and love it!!!!

I want the closest speaker for my 212 cabs so that I could combine with my Lynchbacks.

Closest I can find is the Creamback M speakers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Member

Creamback M.

In other brands look at Scumback M75-65W

pete12string likes this.
  3. JB6464

JB6464 Member

4. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

I think the V-Type sounds more like the Chinese GB, the Creamback more like the Heritage. Neither sounds or feels just like a GB, though.

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

Problem I have with the Creamback M is that it reminds me a lot of the Heritage Greenback and I prefer the Greenback RI.
    I will see as I do more testing with the GB M and report back.

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

You think the ET65 is like a Greenback??? Not me.

candid_x likes this.
  7. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Yes , with a quad of them broken in and loaded in my 4X12 .
    They wasn't exactly a greenback but pretty damn close once they got broken in and played at gig volumes .
    They seem to have that woody midrange tone with a top end that cuts nice in the mix without being harsh , similar to a greenback imho .
    Maybe they don't like greenbacks in a 1X12 or 2X12 cabinet , never tried them in that setup before .
    We both know nothing will sound exactly like a greenback at higher wattage , you just have to get as close as you can .

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

Testing out the M65..tonight.

9. Custom50

Custom50 Member

10. gtone

gtone Member

Creamback M is maybe the closest in the Celestion lineup, but I still think they're a fair bit different sounding than the Greenback RI's IMO. GB RI is fuzzier/woodier due to earlier breakup, maybe has a tad more bottom end to it also, though not sure why that would be (scratches head...).

11. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Private Jack is supposed to be voiced like a greenback. I found it close, but a little more spiky in the upper mids.

12. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Weber Legacy, 65W, 30oz magnet, 75hz cone.

13. papersoul

papersoul Member

I reinstalled the Creamback M with my Lynchback in a Stone Age 212 and man I love it. It is the perfect marriage of modern tightness, punch, thick mids, with creamy and woody midrange. I am loving this blend!!! :aok
    Plenty of low end.....this is guitar remember, not bass. :)

14. gtone

gtone Member

I daresay you're getting that low-end from the design parameters of the cab and/or the Lynchback, as M's alone are pretty darn mid-rangey.

15. papersoul

papersoul Member

Well I don't play bass so I wasn't concerned. However, the Creambacks have tons of low end as they were designed to have more than the Lynchback and the Lynch has more than enough low end.

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

The G12-65M is working out so well. I notice a creaminess I didn't notice with my WGS speaker. These speakers make me want to play lead, where the WGS Retro/ET65 didn't make me feel that way. Real thick and creamy now, yet tight!

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  17. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Thick and creamy would not be what i call closest to a Greenback speaker at a higher wattage .
    A Greenback is woody with that midrange bark and definitely not thick imho .

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

Well, what would you consider thick and creamy for high wattage speakers?

With my Bogner Shiva which is already thick and creamy on the Vintage gain setting.....it is nice and thick and I find leads to be creamy too. :)
    What can I tell ya. :)

19. telewacker

telewacker Member

I too like the RI Greenback. Great speaker. I like the old Pre Rolas usually but in some applications the RI is just right. Dunno of anything high powered that sounds just like one but I do know in an amp I have I didn't like anything but the RI including a Pre Rola M, Warehouse Green Beret, Scumback H75LD, except for a Scumback M75 which is in there now.

20. CRUE

CRUE Member

Based on players I see with that amp (and a great one too!!), I would have to agree.