High quality guitars with skinny nuts?????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The_Bell, Feb 14, 2020.

1. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

Nut jokes aside....

I picked up a 1980s neckthru Fernandes a few months ago and have been digging it. The other day I thought to measure the nut because of how different it feels, and it measures 40mm. Yeah, 40mm. I am guessing that is a Floyd R1? Great guitar, not just the neck but the overall feel and stability is terrific. Guessing a Tokai-built guitar.

In any case, I am wondering what other higher quality guitars (for this discussion excluding Squier Affinity) are out there that are of higher quality that are known for nuts on that end of things? i.e. 40-41mm? I know Norlin era non-LP is a pretty good answer. Anything else?

Old and new models are all fair game!

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Corvid likes this.
  2. trouw2112

trouw2112 Member

Suhr and old ESP use 1 5/8. Musicman maybe?? Never played one, but most seem to think the necks are too narrow.

The_Bell likes this.
  3. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Ibanez Talman 41mm (this a YY10 sig but they all have thin nuts). Look for the Prestige versions. They come in all kinds of pickup configurations.

[​IMG]

Corvid, WeyounTheWise and The_Bell like this.
  4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Ibanez Andy Timmos, 40.5mm at the nut. :)

Corvid and The_Bell like this.
  5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Gonna go measure my nuts.. BRB

6. mrilo

mrilo Member

I'd put Music Man out there, definitely high quality and my stingray rs has a 1-5/8" (41.3 mm) nut. It is narrow by most standards but I find it very comfy.

LPTyler and The_Bell like this.
  7. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

Good call on MM guys (as well as other recommendations). Enjoyed them in store checking out amps, should have had them in my OP.

LPTyler likes this.
  8. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

suhr doesn’t use 1 5/8. The narrower option for suhr is 1.650

The_Bell likes this.
  9. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

I'm not sure of the dimension, but my Hamer Diablo has a skinnier neck, skinnier than my American strat for sure. Great feeling guitar though.

The_Bell likes this.
  10. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

Waiting............. ;)

T Dizz likes this.
  11. cruiserman

cruiserman Member

Music Man, as mentioned above, have a decidedly skinnier-nut that via measurement doesn't seem like much. When you hold it though you can definitely tell.

I would buy the Music Man Cutlass & the Albert Lee except for that damn skinny nut in my opinion! I'm sure there sales would be higher if they went to the typical 1.65" or whatever but obviously they fill a niche.

The_Bell likes this.
  12. Well Done

Well Done Member

Rickenbacker

The_Bell likes this.
  13. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Some of these have 1.75 nuts. It’s not across the board

The_Bell likes this.
  14. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Certain Charvel USA models, like my '95 Model I are more narrow than standard. Not sure of the exact width, but it's noticeable...

[​IMG]

The_Bell likes this.
  15. monty

monty Member

Not sure of the size but EVH Wolfgangs I think have a skinnyish nut. They feel that way to me anyway.

The_Bell likes this.
  16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

.... 9.5 inches!

The_Bell likes this.
  17. WeyounTheWise

WeyounTheWise Member

I think the Wolgang standard nuts are smaller than the MIM Specials. I had both briefly and liked the neck more on the Indonesian Standard, particularly the narrower feeling nut. It could also be that the MIM wolfgang was a floyd, and the Indo Standard was a TOM bridge.

The_Bell likes this.
  18. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I briefly owned a Ronin Mirari that actually measured out at 1 9/16”. The neck overall didn’t work for me overall. I like a wider and thicker neck apparently. 1 11/16 generally feels best to me, though I’ve played a number of 1 3/4” acoustics that felt good as well.

I think any of the higher end electrics like Anderson and Suhr offer 1 11/16 and 1 5/8 widths.

The_Bell likes this.
  19. Corvid

Corvid Member

Current production Yamaha Pacificas have 41 mm nuts. Actually, the oddball MIJ Mike Stern telecaster-style signature model has a 40.5 mm nut, apparently, and a 7.25 inch neck radius, while all the strat-a-like Made in Indonesia models have 41 mm nuts and 13-3/4 inch (350 mm) neck radii.

Don't sleep on the MII models, though - Yamaha owns and runs its own factory there instead of contracting production out to another company, and their quality control is probably the tightest of any major guitar maker, at the very least in the sub-$1,000 market. The 600 series comes with locking tuners, Graphtech nuts, and Seymour Duncan (not Duncan-designed) pickups, standard, and cost around the same or less than Fender's current MIM offerings.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  20. monty

monty Member

Makes sense because my Standard is also a TOM and I have a special also- the Standard is def. smaller.

The_Bell likes this.