High quality modulation pedals with small footprint?

Dave Wakely

Rebuilding the board as a new band takes shape, where I find myself as the only musical space between rhythm section and vocals on a range of jazz and latin material. In rehearsals, I've been using and EHX Key9, trem and an old Boss DC-3, exploring using texture to add some sonic edge as well as to fill out the space. Think Frisell/Bro/Monder more than Radiohead, but don't think Kenny Burrell.

Thinking of running some pedals in the loop of a Toadworks Enveloope, so fx can be added dynamically or fade in on held chords. I want to keep the board manageably small (there'll be a Wampler Ego and a Source Audio EQ on there too), but interested in suggestions for pedals with small footprint, high degree of tweakability (I know what I'm like...) and preferably a rang of sounds (ie pedal that can pull off chorus and rotary or vibe).

I have no need for distortion, ring mod, or experimental mayhem - emphasis on musicality here. I also love delays and reverb, although not sold on shimmer verbs as yet (the octave up always sounds so synthy): about to experiment with a Boss TE-2, and intrigued by vids of the Hungry Robots The Wash, but aware of mixed response to it on here.

Suggestions very welcome!

Squatch57

Pigtronix Quantum, love that faux Dynaflange sound.
I think the Alexander F13 would also be great but I haven't tried one

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
Valeton-Coral-Mod-Modulation-Multi-Effects-Electric-Guitar-Pedal.jpg

Sounds amazing, and it's ~$75!

S. S. Bender

The ZOOM MS-70CDR at $120 MAP has a variety of very good modulation effects fitting your stated desires, plus delays, reverbs, and more, in a compact and affordable form factor. There is major sonic magic to be discovered in deep editing and combining algorithms. I know this because I've done it. It might just be the perfect device for use in the loop of your Toadworks Enveloope.

leadImage_ms-70cdr.png

Last edited:

JereDigi

The ZOOM MS-70CDR at $120 MAP has a variety of very good modulation effects fitting your stated desires, plus delays, reverbs, and more, in a compact and affordable form factor. There is major sonic magic to be discovered in deep editing and combining algorithms. I know this because I've done it. It might just be the perfect device for use in the loop of your Toadworks Enveloope.

leadImage_ms-70cdr.png

++++

You can put it in "scroll" mode which allows you to change your patches with a switch click. The only downside with the "scroll" method is that there is no way to bypass unless you create a "bypass" patch (nice and easy fix) - navigating/editing can be a little weird at first but with enough use time it becomes very easy - I set mine up for auto save so all my tweeks/adjustments can be saved - I wish you could upload patches into software for sharing purposes

Dave Wakely

Chase Bliss are tempting. though they're probably nudging the top end of my wallet :) From googling away, I'm tempted by the Alexander Effects Chesapeake (chorus/vibrato/rotary), and some of the EarthQuaker pedals too (mostly the Avalanche Run and Afterneath), so feedback on how subtle they can be would be useful to know - I'm more likely to add an undercurrent of interesting ambience than a psychedelic wigout. Experience of those? Feedback?

Multicellular

....small footprint, high degree of tweakability (I know what I'm like...) and preferably a rang of sounds (ie pedal that can pull off chorus and rotary or vibe).

I have no need for distortion, ring mod, or experimental mayhem - emphasis on musicality here. I also love delays and reverb, although not sold on shimmer verbs as yet (the octave up always sounds so synthy): about to experiment with a Boss TE-2, and intrigued by vids of the Hungry Robots The Wash, but aware of mixed response to it on here.

I'd look at a Zoom CDR and Keeley SuperMod.

Footprint
The Zoom is basically standard pedal size, maybe a hair taller than average. The Keeley is smaller than I thought. It is double pedal wide, but short. Click on the pedalboard link in my sig if you want to see a shot for scale.

Degree of tweak-ability
Zoom is higher. Each effect on both really have your typical parameters. The Zoom wins for tweakage because you can stack 5 or 6 effects. 5 if you want to be able to bypass with the footswitchas the 'bypass' effect counts as a virtual pedal. The Keeley you can stack two effects only, which, granted, is often plenty.

Range of sounds
Both have chorus, rotary, and vibe. The Zoom has a lot more options for delays and reverbs. The Keeley is mostly modulations.

Control
The thing that kicked the Zoom off my main board (is still on my small board) is the tap tempo and expression control on the Keeley.

Presets or not
I thought the Keeley might be a challenge for me without presets and I was actually able to borrow one before I bought it. But the depth, level, and morph knobs (again rate is controlled via tap/exp) are set such that they are quite consistent across effects. i.e./e.g. except for the delays and reverbs, I can switch effect type and know where depth should be set, morph is very often at noon, OR for a moderate typical level of any of the effects, everything except the effect type at noon is pretty usable.

The drawback on the Zoom is the presets are not 'live' tweakable really. You gotta go into menus. The pro being greater ultimate tweakability. But if you, for example, asked me to call up x type of effect slow or fast, subtle or overwhelming, I could do it in two seconds with the Keeley. Would take 5 to 15 with the Zoom.

Dave Wakely

Multicellular, that's really useful - thank you. I remember watching vids of the Keeley and being impressed. I'll be working out sounds to use per song and pre-setting, so live editability isn't too much of an issue, but... which wins on sound quality?

JS-29

Keeley Supermod Workstation. Tons of great sounds, very small footprint. It is actually smaller than it looks in the pics online. So many options in one pedal.

jordane93

leadImage_ms-70cdr.png
This

Multicellular

Multicellular, that's really useful - thank you. I remember watching vids of the Keeley and being impressed. I'll be working out sounds to use per song and pre-setting, so live editability isn't too much of an issue, but... which wins on sound quality?

The Keeley probably wins, but not by a lot. They are both very good quality. I had long been in a habit of using multifx live and using single fx boxes for recording, but ive used both of these on recordings with no reservations.

Gibs210

Well since you use the SA EQ, then why not any one of the three one series modulators (Gemini chorus, lunar phaser, or mercury flanger), any one of the three, can copy the others, plus three presets, and three more sounds (not necessarily presets, as they will do whatever the 4 physical knobs are set to). The best part is if you have one, you essentially have all three, so you can get chorus phaser, flanger, vibe, and even a pseudo rotary sound using one of the uploaded presets from the neuro app. There a little smaller than a boss pedal, and $150. Tap tempo capable with an external switch if that's your thing.

Edit: forgot to mention you can access some basic tremolo sounds as well, and either combine them with the other modulations, or blend out the modulation for a straight trem.

Last edited:

Dave Wakely

Both the Alexander pedals are on my radar already, but the SA option comes as a welcome curveball. Not quite as flexible as they might be (max 3 presets per pedal, some pedals will only load some available algorithms), but those 3 sounds can presumably be changed over and over, reinstated, etc. Food for thought, chaps, and many thanks for it. Any more suggestions, before the possibilities make my head explode?

4b454e

Silver Supporting Member
Both the Alexander pedals are on my radar already, but the SA option comes as a welcome curveball. Not quite as flexible as they might be (max 3 presets per pedal, some pedals will only load some available algorithms), but those 3 sounds can presumably be changed over and over, reinstated, etc. Food for thought, chaps, and many thanks for it. Any more suggestions, before the possibilities make my head explode?
+1 on the SA mod pedals - you can place/replace the presets as you like, and can also get three more presets by using the secondary preset mode (in that mode, all parameters get recalled exactly as you stored them, as opposed to the standard mode where the knob position is read when the preset is recalled)
Each of their mod pedals can run any of the mod algorithms, they just can't run the Vertigo trem algos (or obviously the distortion or delay algos!)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom