High Quality Tube/Valve Tester

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by SFT, May 7, 2015.

1. SFT

SFT Member

I need a tube tester that is legit, not a cheap questionable quality tester. I know that Hickok and B&K have been recommended in the past, but they're so old there are reportedly reliability issues.
    What is a top quality tube tester for guitar amp tubes (including power tubes, preamp, and rectifier tubes) that is <$800?

I heard the Orange Tube Tester recommended in the past as well, but it's received mixed reviews, and I don't think it will test rectifier tubes.

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I stand to be corrected, but I'm not aware of any other new tube testers besides the Orange. All the other ones are vintage, or used at the very least.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

There's nothing good that fits the price target. Testers that handle ONLY power tubes OR preamp tubes are around $800 each.

The Orange is the best bet at the under $800 price point.

4. SFT

SFT Member

Thanks Mike. Does the Orange test rectifier tubes or just power/preamp tubes?

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Oh yeah, pretty sure it doesn't do rectifiers.

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  7. Patrick620

Patrick620 Member

Guitar amps are not audiophile grade hifi gear. A calibrated Hickok, B&K, Sencore, et al. mutual conductance tester will get the job done just fine. If you are wanting to match power tubes, it is pretty easy to build or buy a plug with a meter on it that fits in between the tube and socket at working voltage in the amp being used. No reason to spend a ton of money to properly test tubes in my opinion. Unless you have have lots of disposable cash I guess. The end result will be the same either way. My B&K 650, Eico 666 and home made bias probe/socket have served me very well over the years

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  8. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Great info!

9. 71strat

71strat Member