• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

High quality version of Live Without A Net for those of you inclined

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Two things.

1. Phenomenal video. Band is on fire, looks and sounds fantastic.
2. My first VH cd (despite being much older and should have been earlier) was 5150. Album holds a special place in my heart. But why in (insert deity name here) name did they have to play Sammy Hagar songs? UGH. I saw them once. And they played a BUNCH of Hagar crap while ignoring pretty much everything pre-5150 other than the absolute-absolute early hits. I don't want to hear "Eagles Fly" :barf:barf:barf:tapedshut:FMFFS; play some G#dd@mn VanHalen songs

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
had a copy of this on VHS back in the 80s, and watched this thing about a million times.
i bought it on DVD in the early 00s....hard to believe it's 34 years old!

This would be a great candidate for a Blu-Ray treatment.

Upgrade the audio to DTS & throw in the songs from the concert that weren't included on the original DVD (Dreams, Good Enough, Addicted To Love, Summertime Blues & Wild Thing)
Yes I was thinking this yesterday. I hope they do that and I would love if they did an audio version too. Maybe an expanded version of 5150 or something.

Two things.

1. Phenomenal video. Band is on fire, looks and sounds fantastic.
2. My first VH cd (despite being much older and should have been earlier) was 5150. Album holds a special place in my heart. But why in (insert deity name here) name did they have to play Sammy Hagar songs? UGH. I saw them once. And they played a BUNCH of Hagar crap while ignoring pretty much everything pre-5150 other than the absolute-absolute early hits. I don't want to hear "Eagles Fly" :barf:barf:barf:tapedshut:FMFFS; play some G#dd@mn VanHalen songs
Totally agree. Why the heck wouldn't they do Mean Street, Unchained, Women In Love, Little Guitars, And The Cradle Will Rock, Romeo Delight and so many darn more killer tunes. I saw them in 2004 and had to hear Eagles Fly. That was a bathroom break moment.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Totally agree. Why the heck wouldn't they do Mean Street, Unchained, Women In Love, Little Guitars, And The Cradle Will Rock, Romeo Delight and so many darn more killer tunes. I saw them in 2004 and had to hear Eagles Fly. That was a bathroom break moment.
"There's only one way to rock!"
Yes. It's called sticking to playing Van Halen songs instead of Bad Motor Scooter and I Can't Drive 55 :FM

Great performances all around. Great arena rock tone from Ed's rig. I think Sammy was really confused during this period as to what look he was after. Looks like a cross between MC Hammer, a french poodle, Bowie, and Dexy's Midnight Runners in the Come on Eileen video.
Couldn't have described his look any better! :spit

I forget that "Live Without A Net" actually is my favorite EVH tone.

The live concert video they released in the 90s "Right Here, Right Now" just didn't have the magic LWAN has in my opinion.
I've said this before, but I could tell the bloom was coming off the rose for Edward and Sammy during the Right Here Right Now period. Which is a shame. You could tell they absolutely loved being in a band together on Live Without A Net.

Rob G

So where is the definitive DLR video?
I have a couple of bootlegs from DLR's solo tours with Steve Vai and they are awesome! The quality is terrible but the energy and performance are great and Dave actually sang all the words!

I wish they'd release a decent quality DVD of that time.

And obviously a high quality VH show release with Roth would be nice.

I was actually AT that show. Don't remember too much about it, but I was there.
I saw them in 1986 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco and I was sober since I was only 16 years old. But the 2 things I remember the most about that night were that it was loud as hell and I got sick to my stomach because of all the...ahem...smoke in the air.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Great performances all around. Great arena rock tone from Ed's rig. I think Sammy was really confused during this period as to what look he was after. Looks like a cross between MC Hammer, a french poodle, Bowie, and Dexy's Midnight Runners in the Come on Eileen video.
He mentions in his book that when Eddie approached him about joining VanHalen he had just finished his latest solo tour and cut all his hair off. Al said he looked like a mushroom.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
Not that complicated, actually. People forget that Van Halen didn't audition Sammy for the band....they needed him and Ed had to convince him to join the band. Hagar going to VH was more important to Ed, Al and Mike than to Sammy. Hagar was just coming into his own as a solo artist, and he didn't want to play in a "cover band" and play a bunch of songs he hadn't been involved in. So, the band worked in a couple Hagar tunes and Sammy agreed to do a couple old VH tunes with most of the set the current album. It's called compromise....

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
There was a 'Live without a Net' MTV special about the band with much of the same video but with a lot of different narration and clips that was really cool. I have it on VHS but never transferred it to digital. I wonder if anyone ever transferred it to digital? I forget the original MTV title though, anyone know? (I don't have a VCR to replay my tape) :cry:

Trending Topics