High slingin guitarists!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarguru666, Feb 20, 2012.

1. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Yep, I sling my Jackson RR5 up high and I don't care if it looks dorky:p If I have it lower I can't pull off the more technically challenging sweep/tapped licks, and I'm blind so I don't care who can see me :D If it allows me to play more proficiently then I'm all for it. Who else wear's their guitar Tom Morello/Petrucci style?

2. slap dat

slap dat Member

Mine keeps creeping higher as I grow older and more experienced.

3. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

I don't have an excuse since I'm 18 haha

4. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Wear it where it's most comfortable; where it'll be easiest to play. I'm not normally one to be harsh, and I'm all about having a style and persona. But having it hanging a certain way to look like a certain player or type of player, when it impedes your playing, is truly beyond stupid.

5. Honk

Honk Member

I'm a high slinger. :)

A couple of times I've had DiMarzio shorten straps for me as they wouldn't go high enough. Hopefully this secures my credentials.

Guitar posture is something I'm interested in. I can never figure out how some players can do what they do with the guitar slung low or angled oddly. When I copy it my tendons just stop well short of the range I need, and I have to do unnatural looking things with my wrist. I'm not talking about detuned axes banging off your shins, either.

I'm short at 5'6", so maybe that means shorter arms too, compared to the norm. Paul Gilbert makes about every postural mistake possible, but manages everything effortlessly because he has so much spare hand and arm. :D

6. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

As an older guy, neither my pants or my guitars are down around my ankles!
    But seriously, what works for me is keeping the guitar in the same position as when I am seated. So when I am standing, the bottom is a little above waist high.
    It's worked for me for 45 years. Guess I'm too old to change....

7. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

That's exactly how I play mine, makes the transition from sitting to standing much easier and a lot more comfortable to play.

8. dazco

dazco Member

Somehow there are people who can play insane stuff slung low like paul gilbert. Personally i wear it as high as i can w/o feeling uncomfortable, which equates to somewhere in the middle. I'd prefer higher up for playability, but then i also feel really uncomfortable and always end up dropping it back down a bit. I have no issues with looking cool or not. At my age i ain't gonna look cool no matter how low i go. :D

9. b2sc

b2sc Member

You sure it's not yer belly pushing it up and out?? :rotflmao

I'm a low git slinger and proud of it.

10. slap dat

slap dat Member

Could be. Older, more experienced and "well rounded".

11. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

I've tried having it low but it just feels plain wrong to me, like to be close to my instrument :)

12. Wake911

Wake911 Member

I was always a fairly low slung player....then i started doing technical training and following the Rock Discipline technique driven playing, and it creeped up quite a bit higher.....and now i'm tired of that sound in my solos, and tired of holding my arms up high, which does make stuff easier to play, but not comfortable on my arms, and it's dropping back down again....i have found i think a comfortable place finally.

Being 6'6" makes most straps to short for me to even get the guitar to a comfortable spot, let alone a low slung position. Once i get my LP, i have a feeling it will drop even further down though....since i've always dug the look of a low slung les paul.

13. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

"... Once i get my LP, i have a feeling it will drop even further down though....since i've always dug the look of a low slung les paul."

After all, it is all about how we look. Right?:bonk

14. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

I also have an epiphone Les Paul Custom and it's the same height as my Jackson. Had it for years but can't let it go, it's almost perfect :)

15. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

My arms seem to be too short to wear it low.

Once someone about my same size put on my guitar and complained about how short the strap was adjusted. I asked him, "Are you going to play it or pose with it?" Actually, there are some great players that wear their guitars low (including the guy in my anecdote) but it doesn't work for me.

16. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

i wear a strap on the guit when playing seated...however it is most comfy to play seated, when I stand up the strap places the guitar in the same position. Functionality over looking cool for me.

17. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Glad to see there are some nipple riders out there :)

18. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I remember seeing this PBS show a lot where Jerry of the Pacemakers was playing "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" and his guitar was right up there under his tie knot. But better up there than slinging it low -- at least as far as safe technique. We don't want to wear out our hands and joints prematurely.
    Slinging low is tough on the wrist of the fretting hand.

19. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

So I've been told. When I tried playing it low it was my wrist that was finding it difficult to alternate pick/string skip. Would rather look a bit dorky than have a knackered wrist in a few years.

20. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I play pretty high (slightly above the waist) but a lot of people I know play like that (who aren't over the age of 30) so it's not too strange.