high spec'd mac book pro for music editing

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Stonebandit, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Any Major for or against?
    I'm probably going to pick one up tomorrow for High End Engineering.

Is it going to be any good on the music recording/maniplation side of things.
    Of course i'm getting maxed out Ram,may have to purchase interface between audio signal and Mac Book Pro.

Should i go with this ( it is a bit on the exe side of things) Or

get a Macbook pro that will do my high end engineering and purchase a seperate machine Mac or PC based to to my music editing/recording?

My preference is if I can get one Laptop with enough clout that would be perfect, Mac Based,, however if there are people who use a similar system daily, what would your recommendations be?

huge thank to anyone who could help.
    I am looking at high spec machines, not entry level

I do understand that a desktop model would be more ideal in nature, however I'm hoping that the MBP may work out.

thanks

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. Seektone

Seektone Member

I am a recording novice, but I have a two year old top-of-the-line Macbook pro, and I just picked up a Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2, which comes with Studio One software. It's an instant studio! Really incredibly easy to use and sounds GREAT.

Logic may take more memory, but I would think with a new MacBook Pro and an interface, it should be able to handle just about anything.

3. MSS

MSS Member

I have a late model MBP (i7 quad-core) and have tried various software packages, all running without a hic-cup. Believe it or not, have had much success with the simple Garageband and Apogee ONE interface. Easy to use and you spend time recording not fiddling around with settings. Logic works well as to be expected. I have the standard memory (4 GB). With the thunderbolt connector, a may get a newer monitor (turn it into a desk-top) and when the HDD come out, that will be a complete system for me. Out-performs my PC-based set-up which I rarely boot-up anymore.

4. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Thanks looks to be an interesting in-store day.

Be great if they had what I want in stock.

15inches for travel unless any of you suggest that 17 is worth the extra working space vs the extra external size.

MacBookPro here we come. Looking pretty excited. So 15 or 17?

5. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

6. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Thanks fella's. I'll report back what I find in several hours.

But keep the suggestions rolling in. The way the I.T industry moves, it could all change in a beat.

off to the apple store plus associated music stores as well re their recording setups.

This should be a sweet arvo.

7. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

The only thing i would recommend on top of a MBP is a second monitor you can set up when you're at home and possibly an external hard drive to store the stuff on. As far as power, a new MBP will be more powerful than most desktops that are a couple of years old anyway, you'll easily be able to do whatever editing/mixing you want with it.

+1 on the 15"

8. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

I wouldnt upgrade the ram at the apple store. It's too expensive, I'd buy it third party and install it yourself (it isn't that hard). I'd also get a decent external drive to run project off of.

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

MBP + maxed out RAM is great for Pro Tools work and/or home setup. Get a great external drive, and an external monitor if you can so you can run mix and edit screens.

HOWEVER. if you end up mixing large sessions with all the hi-end plugins you will max out your laptop's abilities...then it's time to think desktop. My MBP is fairly recent and I have the buffer size all the way up, everything maxed out/consolidated and still it's not enough. You'll need to bounce stems.

You said engineering though, so if you're tracking you'll be good to go.

10. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

What do we do re Solid State Drive wise?
    Go with a SSD of 512 GB at $700Aus.

Do you let the Apple Store to the upgrade Drive
    Or a DIY type job to save the bucks.

Set everything system wise and programs on the SSD, then run a second second drive for data storage? What's the thoughts ?

System will be a 2.4 quad core i7 core, then we will do the DIY RAM upGrade to 16Gb using the 15 inch Mac Book Pro as our base?

Thinking about the hi res anti glare screen as well. Plus I like the idea of getting a Display for home with keyboard and sound monitors to make things easier.

Starting to creep up close to 4 grand thou........

11. Echo

Echo Member

I'm running a 2 year old 13" MBP, and I don't have any trouble recording without hiccup. (especially since 2 tracks at a time is all my interface allows) I'd highly recommend it. Though I would also really agree with the suggestions of a second monitor. Will make what you are doing WAY easier.

12. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

SSD is defiantly great as a boot/program drive, wouldn't record to one though. Dont need a large drive if you go SSD for boot, mine is only 120GB, but I ditched my optical drive and installed a second drive.

Get an external with at least a firewire connection, not USB. USB will work for a few tracks but they don't fare to well with medium to large sessions (or recording for that matter).

I would do any upgrades (RAM, SSD) yourself as you can save a decent amount of money. They've made it much easier to swap out components in the laptops. The bottom comes off after you take out the 8 screws, and everything is right there.

13. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Australia...to be honest if i were you, take a look in a couple of JB HiFi stores before giving your money direct to Apple...they can't give you a big discount off the normal price, but in my experience they DO sell mac's a little cheaper, they're just not contractually allowed to advertise them at a lower price, so you gotta ask in store.

14. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Well honesty is what is all about here thanks for the heads up.
    I didn't know about the advertising price 'clause'.

I check it out in the morning.

Right now, I'm stuck half way up a mountain trying to get home with trees and power lines down everywhere.

We 've got SES crews out police out arborists and sparky's out in the pouring rain, disabling transformers.

This is pretty full on just outside of Hobart.

Hopefully see you in the morning.

I really do hope I can post with you lot again.lol

This is the real deal. I want to get home to wife and child.

And my dogs and guitars....

Electricity, Strong winds, heavy rain.

This is not a fun evening.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. cob666

cob666 Member

Couple of tips:

Order machine with minimum RAM installed and buy max RAM online from reputable site like crucial.com, this alone will save you enough money to buy any software you might want (or pretty close anyway).

Next, SSDs have a MUCH better read than write speed so you probably don't want to be recording to one, I think they make sense for the OS partition. You either want to get a fast internal drive (you can get one configured with a 7200 rpm drive) or use an external FireWire drive (the current line of MacBooks still have a FireWire port). USB throughput is pretty close to FireWire so you might want to try an external USB (or thunderbolt?) drive before investing in an external FireWire drive.

Good luck

16. Seektone

Seektone Member

Wow - hope you made it home safe!

17. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Thats Australia for you...i just came back from a Tour with a mates band upto Tamworth and Armidale in NSW and we had to cancel a few dates because the mid north coast was flooding. So much for Summer...

18. levous

levous Member

I'm curious as to why anyone would say you shouldn't record to SSD?

Definitely get an SSD for your boot drive. It it were me, I'd get the i7 with everything else standard. Order the biggest SSD you can afford from OWC and get the optical bay 2nd drive conversion kit with the external DVD drive enclosure.

Then get the biggest, fastest 2nd drive you can afford. Right now, I'd stick with a mechanical drive because the price is still prohibitive on large SSD drives.

Finally, order as much ram as your Mbp can support from samsung, crucial, or mushkin.

When you are finished, you'll have to strap yourself down to boot the thing up. It'll be top of the line for years to come.

You definitely want a huge external drive to move sessions to and you want to backup your boot drive using time machine. You should also backup any files that exist in only one location unless losing them would be ok.

I'd stick with 15" format. When your producer skills go viral and you're flying all over, you want to be able to work at 10000 ft

19. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Everyones saying don't record to SSD because although the read speed is super fast, the write speed isn't really that great, not to mention the fact that you don't really want to be recording to the same drive your programs are actually on, because you'll just slow it down. So the idea is to run your programs off it and write to an external 7200rpm drive.

20. levous

levous Member

The speed of writes to ssd stomp FireWire and crush USB so I'll have to stick with price/capacity. As the cost comes down, it'll be a no brainier. The speeds off the bus are far faster so I still recommend the 2nd drive conversion over external. Besides, you prolly want to keep your FireWire open for the audio interface.

Thunderbolt, however, changes everything. Not much available yet, unfortunately

This is all blue sky, perfect world stuff. If you go with external drives, you'll still be a happy camper