higher end overdrive questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by marvelboy_04, Dec 20, 2009.

1. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

ok, so im looking at a few different higher end overdrives, hopefully something like a dual one or something with a boost so im thinking

fulltone fulldrive 2
    tim
    klon centaur
    analogman king of tone

what are some others like these and what exactly are the tonal differences between these?

and how do i get on the waiting lists?
    also if i get on the waiting list, do i pay now, or when i get to the top of the list?

2. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

3. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Tim. Order now by calling Paul Cochrane, then wait a few months and pay when it's ready.

I also have a FD2 Mosfet, which I think is is a great pedal, but the Tim slays it for openness. I have not tried the Centaur or KoT, but I imagine they would be hard-pressed to give a more amp-like, open sound than the Tim. (I had a Jester for many months, and I think I am happier with the Tim; the Jester is an amazing pedal, but it is more of an amp than a pedal.)

4. GibsonSVG19

GibsonSVG19 Member

Rockbox Boiling Point, Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive, Rockett Afterburner, and there are alot more clones of Klons and such, its better than spending $800 on one and then waiting for it.

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Klon is $350 direct from the builder and a 12 week wait ride.

6. sanhozay

You listed some great pedals. What guitar & amp are you using. What effects have and are you currently using?

7. GibsonSVG19

GibsonSVG19 Member

Then where the hell did I hear that it was $750-$800 I guess this was a long time ago or something

8. sanhozay

It never was that from the builder, perhaps ebay sellers juked their Centaur graphic ones but the direct price from Bill has always been fairly priced and with reasonable build turnaround. It's not inexpensive but the average boutique drive pedal hovers about $200 or more. I'm really not one to advocate a pedal that would set anybody back more than $200. Thre's too many great pedals to own under that mark, especially for the patient waiters.

9. GibsonSVG19

GibsonSVG19 Member

Yea it's $329 from the builder, but people sold them for $800 on Ebay. But still check on a klon

10. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

The Tim is $169 shipped. If you don't need the boost function, its little brother, the Timmy, is only $129 shipped. Both are pretty amazing. But go ahead: spend more money if you wish.

11. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

Well... away from the cost side and waitlists (which i agree with BTW, pay less and get it from the builder, thats the way to go) and back to some other things on the original post:

the Klon is going to give you magic in your signal. simply put. you will never want to turn it off (if you set grit light) because it just makes things sound better. i'm a firm believer this is in large part due to the buffer as well as the ingenious circuit that deserves the high price tag (if your tone is important and pedalboard space isn't).

The fulldrive is about as standard of a boutique drive as you'll get, being the most popular of hte past decade, but it is losing popularity because (IMO) people don't tend to use it in the other modes. Honestly with the FM/VIntage/COMp cut 2 stomps/gain options and now the mosfet option, these pedals can cover A LOT of ground. i just picked up my original orange one back b/c it does a lot of things really well. if you are looking for that classic colored overdrive type sound than the FD2 rocks. did i mention flexibility? oh yeah, and it sounds REALLY good with other pedals ;)

The TIM is now taking over the FD's popularity with a tighter overdrive and a more open top end (not as compressed) with the option of putting it into compressed mode for a more FD2 feel. The loop is there, though not too many people tend to use it, it is still a cool feature. Also the boost has independent tone control, which is sweet if you are using the standard drive for a rhythm and want to cut really nice on the leads, you can boost the volume and get a little slice (or thickness) based on the tone knob. It is known for its 'transparency', meaning you'll get what you got but more. So if you have a squire and a peavey and want to be Gilmour this isn't gonna cut it, but if you want your bassman to get more marshall-y or simply a touch of hair through a Z, this pedal ROCKs. Stacks amazing with other pedals (my current big board drive section contains a FD2, a Cliffhanger and the TIM) and can nail good tone at bedroom levels. Plus paul is just a good guy.

KOT is a cross between the TIM and the FD2, with 2 completely independent pedals in one. If you only can have one drive on your board this one would be my vote. the sides are 'identical', but they are slightly differently voiced, and each can be 'clean boost' 'light drive' 'driven' or (recently added) 'high gain' leaving a TON of options, though not as easily accessible (DIP switches inside as compared to toggles on the outside). designed as it is, every setting sounds really good, with any guitar, through almost any amp. I had a hard time getting a 'bad' sound out of the KOT.... the only reason its not still here is because the resale/trade value is that much higher, and it didn't seam to do the 'stack' thing as well as the others. I'm more of a stacking guy, where the TIM and FD2 shine here, the KOT can get those same sounds, but is harder to 'color' with other drives.

a lot of it depends on what kind of player you are, preference in sound (boosting a clean amp, getting drive at low volumes) and variety that you're looking for. the KLON is amazing, but its not gonna give you a lot of variety, just take what you have and make it what you want. The FD2 by itself is flex, but needs a little something to make the standard drive modes 'stick out' (whether that be another drive like the TIM or a cooking amp) the comp cut SLAYS most boost pedals. The TIM is an incredibly versatile tool to shape your tone, and the KOT is a great drive and foundation for building your sound from. i've gigged with all of them, and they all are great drives. i say get on the lists, and as your name comes up cough up the cash and than just get rid of the pedals that you don't like/use. if you sell them for the price you paid (w/shipping) you will sell each in a few minutes, so its a worthy investment.

12. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

see if you can get ahold of a menatone fish factory - discontinued model so quite rare and expensive - contains 2 separate overdrive pedals - so not just a drive pedal with a tacked on boost effect
    - red snapper is one of the best lighter overdrives you'll hear - blue collar is a supercharged ts pedal - fat and bluesy. Handwired point to point pedal - i traded my kot for the ff and was happy with the trade.....

13. Radspin

Radspin Member

I swear by the Jetter GS3. It might not be as well-known or popular as some other pedals, but it sounds superb.

14. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

If you are wanting a high gain TS, then the Cusack is an amazing choice. It's only a single pedal, but does a lot. Actually Parkerbro has a V2 for $120 in the emporium... which is CHEAP! No affiliation of course, just trying to help a brother out!

15. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

well, right now im playing
    gibson les paul standard
    american strat (just got it)
    ampeg reverberocket (just got it too!)
    and as far as effects, this is the beginning of a complete overhaul
    my current board is
    vox v848 wah
    bbe freq boost treble booster
    ehx big muff pi
    mxr classic distortion (pretty much a mxr distortion III)
    mxr distortion +
    fulltone mini dejavibe

but eventually itll be
    rmc wheels of fire wah
    overdrive
    mjm dallas boost (or maybe ill keep my bbe or get a colour boost)
    blackout twosome fuzz
    fulltone mini dejavibe
    ehx deluxe memory boy

and then maybe a mjm london fuzz and maybe a multi modulation effect like a choralflange or holy stain etc.

so for price, the fulldrive 2 and tim are about the same?

and the king of tone is 250ish and klon 350ish?

im thinking about just buying a fulldrive now and getting on the waiting list for a tim and then when i have both i can decide which ill keep (probably both lol)

what is paul cochranes email and phone number cause i cant seem to find a website?

16. bantoto

bantoto Member

His number is 615-896-8555

17. just ken

just ken Member

Hard to go wrong with the Fulldrive. I've had one for the last 10 years or so and I still come back to it (powder blue, pull comp cut, modified with the mids/flat mids switch). I'm also currently totally knocked out by the Zendrive I got direct from the maker.

But I plugged in my FD2 the other day after giving it a break and was surprised at how close I could get the FD2 to sound like the Zen--I had just never happened on to that setting before with the FD2, there's a lot there and its easy to get stuck with just a couple of sounds on the FD2. Love the Zen too, awesome pedal.

Haven't tried the other pedals you listed. I heard Kevin Eubanks at the Baked Potato a while back and he played through a boogie subway blues and a Klon, sounded awesome.

The Barber stuff is nice too.

18. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

I really don´t mean to confuse but to help out, as I´ve been around this OD-block a couple of times too..

I´ve found that the Eternity is the best TS-variant so far. The FullDrive is ok too, but it just colours the tone in an unpleasing, too thickening way IMHO, it works well with a REALLY bright strat though.

The TIM really didn´t cut it with my rig, I liked the RC booster for more clean-ish sounds and the BB for more dirt.

The KOT is impossible to get over here, so no comment on that one, but my main dirt right now is the BB and the E. They stack well and can be dialed to sound quite different making the combination quite versatile.

19. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

well, i just ordered a used fulltoen fulldrive 2 today used off the guitar center website (great way to get stuff) for 125 bucks, and i also ordered a tim, which should be here by march. im guessing ill compare both and if they stack well, i may just keep both. i am contemplating getting on the waiting list for a king of tone also, but how do i do that?

20. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Member

:agree

Especially with blackface Fenders and a Tele or a Strat. For the price, it's a steal.

One inevitably finds it's way back on my board after a while.