Higher Gain OD Pedals With Dedicated Mids Control?

ColorBlindJames

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up a Suhr Bella about a month ago and I really like it, but after trying a bunch of different overdrive pedals, I have discovered that I need one that has a dedicated mids control in order to get the tones that I am looking for.

I find the amp to be a bit bright for my tastes, which works really well for clean stuff, but can make some OD pedals sound somewhat harsh. I'm currently using a Wampler Catapulp with the mid control dimed and it sounds really good - I know several of the other Wampler pedals have the same EQ controls, but I'm wondering if there are some other higher gain OD pedals out there that also have dedicated mid controls that I should check it?

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I think the latest iteration of the JHS angry Charlie has a mid control. The bigger bogner pedals too. Also check out the bearfoot model Hs... it doesn't have a dedicated mid knob but it's real thick in the mids and the three eq knobs do a lot. That's what I ended up with for my Bella and it's a monster

Husky

I picked up a Suhr Bella about a month ago and I really like it, but after trying a bunch of different overdrive pedals, I have discovered that I need one that has a dedicated mids control in order to get the tones that I am looking for.

I find the amp to be a bit bright for my tastes, which works really well for clean stuff, but can make some OD pedals sound somewhat harsh. I'm currently using a Wampler Catapulp with the mid control dimed and it sounds really good - I know several of the other Wampler pedals have the same EQ controls, but I'm wondering if there are some other higher gain OD pedals out there that also have dedicated mid controls that I should check it?
Have you tried turning off the bright switch and using the presence for brilliance?
Have you tried a different speaker or cab? I don't know if you have a combo or head. A 4x12 with G12Ms is awesome with a Bella.
As far as a killer drive pedal to go with the Bella that fits your needs keep your eyes on us at NAMM ;-)

Last edited:

rschultz13

Supporting Member
Wampler Clarksdale... is awesome. Basically a suped up tube screamer, and the mid control rocks.

dpgreek

depends on your rig, wallet and end use (what kind of amp)... some I tried:

Crazy Tube circuits Black Magic MK II (great pedal)
Montreaux Knebworth II (Marshall magic)
Amptweaker Big Rock Pro (kind of large but worth every penny)

ColorBlindJames

Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried turning off the bright switch and using the presence for brilliance?
Have you tried a different speaker or cab? I don't know if you have a combo or head
As far as a killer drive pedal to go with the Bella that fits your needs keep your eyes on us at NAMM ;-)

The Bella sounds great (I have the non-reverb combo,) but it took a bit of tweaking and a lot of trial and error for me to finally find some OD pedals that gave me the sound I was looking for, mostly because the Bella is voiced differently than most of the amps I have used before. I have the bright switch turned off and I have the presence control also turned all the way down and I set the treble at about two and I still think it is too bright with certain pedals ... but that is not the fault of the amp but simply due to my own preferences.

Now that I have it set how I want and found some pedals with versatile and powerful mids control, I think everything sounds great (except for an annoying rattle I have encountered in recent weeks but I've been communicating with Don at your company and he thinks it is the JJ power tubes, so he's shipping me out a set of Sovtek replacement tubes which will hopefully address the issue.)

jaime136

The Empress Heavy has 2 select-able channels. Each has it's own dedicated mid knob and three-way switch for selecting the frequency emphasis of the mid-range. They share the high and low controls. The EQ section is very powerful.

Both channels have a built in noise gate, too (can be turned off if you don't want it).

Oh yeah, it has as much gain as any sane person would need!

mrpinter

Platinum Supporting Member
EQD Talons; Subdecay Super Nova Drive both are higher gain ODs (Subdecay is now listing the Super Nova Drive as a distortion but I think of it as a high gain OD) with dedicated mid controls in three band EQs.

Husky

The Bella sounds great (I have the non-reverb combo,) but it took a bit of tweaking and a lot of trial and error for me to finally find some OD pedals that gave me the sound I was looking for, mostly because the Bella is voiced differently than most of the amps I have used before. I have the bright switch turned off and I have the presence control also turned all the way down and I set the treble at about two and I still think it is too bright with certain pedals ... but that is not the fault of the amp but simply due to my own preferences.

Now that I have it set how I want and found some pedals with versatile and powerful mids control, I think everything sounds great (except for an annoying rattle I have encountered in recent weeks but I've been communicating with Don at your company and he thinks it is the JJ power tubes, so he's shipping me out a set of Sovtek replacement tubes which will hopefully address the issue.)
Yes we found the JJ can have a rattle and the Sovtek fixes that immediately.
Any other rattle we also can nail. So keep in touch without Don. Also an extension cab really opens up the tone and adds depth. I use two mini stacks myself

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
A bit unorthodox, and no mid control. But with my Bella I've yet to find an OD pedal I prefer over the Wampler Dual Fusion. With the option to stack the two sides in either order, you do kind of have a couple of voices to get the midrange you're looking for.

Pazz

The Wampler SLOstortion has a very useful Mids control. It has a huge influence over how the pedal sounds and feels.

Overall the SLOstortion gives you two modes and a built on clean boost (post-drive) that is independent. It is a great sounding pedal, even though it's never been a TGP darling.

Lamby

The Empress Heavy has 2 select-able channels. Each has it's own dedicated mid knob and three-way switch for selecting the frequency emphasis of the mid-range. They share the high and low controls. The EQ section is very powerful.

Both channels have a built in noise gate, too (can be turned off if you don't want it).

Oh yeah, it has as much gain as any sane person would need!

Listen to this man.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom