1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Higher Gain "Partner" for Fulldrive II

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Funky Chicken, May 16, 2011.

1. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Happy with the FD II for lower gain stuff-need something else for lead tone. Guitar is a Suhr Telecaster, amps are supplied backline (building a simple "fly-in" board). Open to suggestions...

2. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Two thoughts:

1. Skreddy LM - Si fuzz that can be really smooth and melodic, and can get plenty growl as well, all with adjusting the volume control on your guitar. My deluxe model is in my mailbox as we speak, can't WAIT to get home! :love: :drool

2. Timmy - I don't really need to explain myself here. Super-versatile, super tone-shaping OD, hand-built by Paul (GREAT guy) :aok, and keeps its resale value.

3. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Well, there are two very obvious answers here.

Timmy

GT-500

4. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Another great match: the Fulltone OCD. Try running the FD2 into the OCD.

5. LuckyBlackCat

LuckyBlackCat Member

Yes, I'd say the OCD. In addition to gread lead gain tones you would get a bunch of other, lower gain flavors also.

6. wragen22

wragen22 Member

Currently I have my OCD running into m FDII down into my amp. Why the other way around?

7. 2061X

2061X Member

I feed my Fulldrive II into a Fulltone Distortion Pro (DP-1); they stack really well. I also use the DP-1 by itself and I think it is a very underrated pedal. The way I've set it up, it has a rich, creamy tone that cuts really well in a band. The louder you play it, the better it gets. I do admit it can be difficult to dial in, since it's so versatile and some of the knobs are highly interactive. They are no longer in production, but you should be able to pick up a used one for a decent price.
    Another option for me is the Diamond Fireburst. I use this for a very thick, fuzzy lead tone. This also stacks very well with the FD2 and gives an over-the-top screaming fuzzy lead tone.

8. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

To boost the OCD for leads. It's like using a Tube Screamer to boost a Rat. The mid-hump from the FD2 in Vintage mode into the OCD gives the OCD a good push for thicker sounding leads. Then turn off the FD2 and use just the OCD for the rhythm parts. Just one way of doing it.

9. wragen22

wragen22 Member

Ok, confused here. Guitar -> FDII -> OCD -> others -> amp ? Do I have that correct?

10. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

I've recently had great success with the Tiki Drive and Shiba Drive pedals after the FDII. Tiki for more of a Marshall vibe and Shiba for a smoother flavor. These are obvious applications for either of those by themselves, but for leads with the FDII in front of them, either pairing accentuates the inherent qualities of each pedal while carrying notes without any wierd artifacts or fighting.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  11. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Yes, guitar -> FD2 -> OCD -> amp.

12. u2streets

u2streets Member

+1 on this

13. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Why not try boosting the FD II with a:

Keeley Fuzz Head,
    Orange Squeezer Comp,
    Barber Tone Press,
    Lovepedal CoT 50,
    Fulldrive FatBoost,
    BYOC TriBoost?

14. stevel

stevel Member

So is the FD2 simply set for boost, or are you adding gain as well?

Steve

15. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

When I use the FD2 into an OCD, I do not use the boost function on the FD2, I only use the overdrive function, with the switch set to "Vintage," gain at about 9:00, and volume and tone to taste.

I suppose it does add a bit of gain this way, but it really thickens up the OCD for leads.

16. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I don't have my FDII anymore, but I used to run a Barber Small Fry in front of it. It was an amazing combination. I only sold the FDII because it was big and I didn't really use the boost side.