Higher output pickup or boost pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BetterMeThanYou, May 8, 2015.

1. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

How do you decide whether or not to install a higher output pickup or a boost pedal? Is the effect about the same either way?

2. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

The answer is ... that depends.

For more aggressive styles of music, higher output pickups make sense but they will drive your amp to distortion quicker - you'll need to decide if that's a problem. Plenty of metal guys (Mark Morton of Lamb of God, to name just one) use vintage-style humbuckers through a high gain amp and get heavy sounds.

I prefer to drop my guitar volume when I'm playing rhythm and then goose it for solos, but I also keep a boost on my board if I don't have time to reach for the volume control.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Depends on where you place the boost pedal. Right after your pu is much like going to hotter pu. But a lot also color your tone slightly but so do different brands of pu.

If you want slam input of your amp harder a boost pushing it's input harder will work wonderfully, even if it's after other dirt pedals.

4. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

To me, a hotter pickup is just contributing to the base gain level. Boosting that with a boost pedal for solos is where I am going...

5. stevel

stevel Member

Well, the decision here, all other things being equal, is that a boost pedal will allow you to turn the boost on and off with your foot. You would also be able to adjust how much boost you get.

With hotter pickups, the amount of boost you get will depend on hoe much hotter those pups are. And once you put them in, they're always hotter - no way to "un-boost" them, other than the volume knob (which at best takes a hand away from playing, and at worst is needed for other things you do).

Boost pedals are generally designed to bump up your signal to a much greater degree. They're probably a factor of 10 or 20 to 1 depending on what pickups you already have.

But this is a really weird question you're asking.

What is it, exactly, you're trying to accomplish?

6. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

Crushing my foes with an onslaught of fuzz distortion and mayhem!

7. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

I feel like you get more clarity when using higher out put humbuckers and not so much when you are just boosting.

Its the clarity and separation that a lot of those metal and high gain freaks are after.