Higher wattage Greenback-type speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Occam, May 26, 2005.

1. Occam

Occam Member

All of my heads are at least 100 watts and I play pretty loud but I'd like to load one of my empty cabs with some greenbacks....does anybody make a greenback clone at 35-50 watt range? I don't want to go too high with the wattage because a big part of the sound comes from pushing them but I'd also like to avoid a full-stack for this project. I use a full-stack for my main project but it's not needed here. Someone suggessted the Eminence Private Jack...would that work out pretty well?

2. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Dave at Avatar still has the Eminence Legend GB12s but only in 16 ohm.

3. Occam

Occam Member

How are those Legend's?

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I have V12's, GB12's, PJ's, and one Tonker. I don't hear anything that I'd consider "greenback" tone in those. That doesn't mean they aren't fine speakers, but the tone I dislike seems to work for a lot of other guys. Check out the clips on the Eminence website, I think Jeff Martin's. That is exactly what you get.

5. Occam

Occam Member

All of the clips I found on the eminence site were either clean or only slightly dirty and it didn't bring much character out of the speakers.

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Exactly! You nailed it. Pushing a fairly dirty signal is a different matter all together, and not the Emi's strong suit, at least not the few I have. Hard to make a general statement about anything without starting a war of words. But the clips I've heard do a pretty good job of reflecting the midrange offered, and that is something no break in will cure. I should confess that I didn't hear anything remotely greenback in the Weber 1265 either, and I guess that is supposed to be a higher watt greenback. Maybe I'm too picky? :(

7. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i'm seriously considering some of these scumback greenback speakers for my 2x12 w/ 100w head.
    they are both 50w greenback clones.

8. Occam

Occam Member

Yeah I've seen those...a bit pricey when looking to fill a 4x12, what are they $160 each or something?

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Find some old Celestion G12-65s - they were fitted as stock in early Marshall JCM800 cabs, shouldn't be too hard to get. They're not identical to G12M-25s, but they are in the same ballpark and have the same sort of complex jangle and 'fur'. They're a bit tighter-sounding at low volume but warm up when they're pushed a bit harder.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Werd.

I just played my 73 100W Super Lead through a cab with these and it sounded great.

11. gizmo

gizmo Guest

+2 I have a an early JCM 800 1x12 combo with a G12-65. I tried a V30, a Weber Blue (both ceramic and alnico) and then the g12-65. The 65 had the goods. No mushy, farting, woofiness like the others. At first I thought it was a little bright but after lowering my pickups a tad and adjusting the tne controls at the amp, I've got it dialed in nicely.

I know V 30s get a bad rap but that actually sounded better to my ears than the Webers, FWIW.

12. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

A lot of guys dig V30's, I never have. I hear they sound good when pushed hard, and I can see it woking well with a warm amp like a route 66, I was never able to bond with my V30, just sounds sterile to me, and that harsh mid-top end killed me.

Weber's, I am one of the few that had big problems with 2 of his speakers, again tons of guys love them, mine were flat out horrid.