Highest end PAFs - Throbaks, Tims, Holmes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by doc, Feb 19, 2009.

1. doc

doc Member

I have a set of Timbuckers in my main LP, which I love. I obviously know what those sound like. I live about a half-hour from Joelton, where Tom Holmes lives, but have never had the opportunity to try one of his pickups. Of the other makers, Throbaks seem to have the most hype currently. Anybody out there able to compare and contrast the Tims to the other two for me?

2. doc

doc Member

This is the kind of question I miss the LPF for. I probably wouldn't have needed to ask this if I was still over there, because I could have just searched and found some opinions. Oh well, just one bump for grins, then I'll leave you alone. I guess I need to try getting back on the LPF with another email and name just to use the search function and not post any.

3. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Member

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Just curious, why can't you use the Les Paul Forum?

5. doc

doc Member

First a disclaimer - I think the LPF has some fine folks and is THE place to go for Les Paul info. Also, if any of the following is felt to be inflammatory in any way please let me know or delete this.
    I was a member there after lurking for about six months and learning a lot. I posted 4 threads. One thread I started was in the form of a question as to how close to a Historic LP feel and sound I could get starting with an Aria Pro 2 LP copy (which was my only LP at the time) with various mods - new pickups and electronics, etc. Apparently that was percieved as "anti-Gibson" by some. The form of the post was in no way inflammatory or meant to devalue Gibson. Then some other guy got on the thread and it spiraled out of control with him mouthing off to the mod. Everyone on the thread apparently got banned, including me, although all of my posts were low key and polite. I tried for about a year to email Lily to try to get reinstated, but no one would ever return my emails. I finally just gave up on it. If anybody here is a big wheel at LPF and wants to "sponsor me" back in I'd appreciate being able to use the Search function there again. I don't know if I'd want to post anything though.
    The happy ending is that the loss of the LPF as a place to hang out lead me here. Thanks for being such a great forum!
    Thanks for the link, Tone Seeker.

6. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Very fair and non-inflammatory explanation. Now lets keep the other forum out of this thread and find you some pickups! :dude

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

hey Doc...welcome...I can't post at the LPF and nobody returns my emails either...

since TS linked you to my othe post you can see that I have been on a somewhat similar journey...so far the Holmes are the finest hums I have tried...the Throbaks are very very good clean and based on clips I've heard and that trial I decided to order the limited plus (al5) set...I have a guitar that could use the extra brightness of an al5 pickup...

I have also heard the Timbuckers awhile back in my buds R7 and from what I remember they would be most similar to the Throbaks...very clean and articulate and not as big sounding as the Holmes...the Holmes are in a completely different league afaic but also need to be in the right guitar as in my buds R7 the Holmes were a bit too fat on the neck pup...

Chow,
    Seegs

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  8. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I`ve never heard the Timbuckers, but some other great PAF`s I`ve had and currently use are: Sheptone PAF`s, Lindy Fralin PAF`s,Wolfetone PAF`s, Vintage Vibe PAF`s. All great and different from each other .

9. MaxBoogie

MaxBoogie Member

Same here as well.... Took me a year and a half just to finally get an account, then it was never "approved" or whatever it takes to actually be able to post there... :tapedshut

But to answer the original question... My buddy just installed a set of Holmes pups in his ES-333 and his comments are that they are "magical". He replaced Gibson 57 Classics, and Seth Lovers, and said there was no comparison whatsoever. He's a real stickler for tone, having been in the music business since the early 60's, so high praise from him means quite a lot. I haven't heard them myself, but will quite soon! ;)

10. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Member

I have a couple of humbucking guitars that I wonder about using the Holmes in. I just picked up Collings 290 routed for humbuckers. It is a LP Special style instrument with a slab mahogany body, mahogany neck with indian rosewood board. Very resonant, loud acoustically, warm and very nicely balanced. It almost sounds like an acoustic guitar unplugged.

The other guitar is a PRS SC245. This is a Les Paul Standard style instrument. Mahogany with maple cap and mahogany / rosewood neck. It is brighter than the 290 and not as loud acoustically, as you would expect. It's lively and considering the maple cap, quite resonant. It's also chambered.

From what you've said, the standard Holmes set might be a nice fit for my SC245. A set of Holmes for the 290 might need to be underwound. That could be a really interesting combination, as I suspect it would allow the wood to really shine through.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Terry.

11. Adam Zaiger

Adam Zaiger Gold Supporting Member

What about WCR? I have a pair of Darkbursts and really like them.

12. never-enough

never-enough Member

have you looked into lollar imperials?
    i just put a set into my 1969 goldtop and they sound fantastic.

13. andergtr

andergtr Member

FWIW, i put some antiquitys in my '57 goldtop historic, and i love them. i haven't done the A/B comparison, and honestly don't care to. all i know is that i really dig the sound of the antiquitys.

john ou

14. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I have Imperials in my Heritage H535 and I'm gonna put in my newly arrived Throbak SLE101 Limited plus pickups in the next week or so. I'll at least give a tone report, but maybe I'll make some clips too!

15. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

I don't know if this fits your idea of "high-end" but Antiquities are definitely worth a look. Handmade from a someone you know that knows pickups.

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

Yeah Terry I think thats a good call...Chrissy was here today and we had a 335 a Murphy R7 and my R8...we had a set of Throbak limited al2s...and two sets of Holmes...my underwound H450 set (both pups are H450s) and Chrissy's H450/H455 set...mine measure in the low 7Ks and Chrissys neck is 7.6K and the bridge somewhat hotter...

the Throbaks sound stellar in Chrissys R7 which is very dark and needs the articulation...my low power H450 Holmes sound great in my 335 and my LP....the higher power H450/H455 set didn't work in the darker guitar or the 335 but sounded great in my LP and turned it into a beast...

the real benefit from my lower wind H450 set is that the middle position really comes alive...it's a much nicer tone than with the mixed set...

I think this (2 underwound H450s) might be a good way to go in the darker guitar but the Throbaks would also warrant consideration...

tfunser I am anxiously awaiting your findings...mine havn't made it here yet...

Chow,
    Seegs

17. larc

larc Member

Hey Seegs,

The Holmes sets that you're using...are they potted or unpotted?

18. doc

doc Member

As far as the pickups under discussion go, I've been exposed to Tims, WCR Fillmores, Burstbuckers (I think, haven't pulled 'em to check, but thats what they're supposed to be), and a number of other more "generic" pickups. I love the Tims, but suspect based on clips the Holmes have a bit more "bloom" and thickness, which I covet. The Fillmores are really good too, but I like the Tims a little better. Don't really care for the Burstbuckers - they are kind of shrill. The Tims replaced '57 Classics, which were balanced but sterile to my ear. I have a WCR Crossroads which I plan to use soon to replace a Burstbucker. Not really flush with extra cash to place an order for a Holmes set yet, but I know its my destiny. What I should do is sell all the stuff I don't use and convert them into a Holmes set.

19. doc

doc Member

Two more quick comments - the Duncan Custom Custom can get some really good sounds cheap, but I can't get anything useful for me out of a JB and don't understand why they're popular.

Also, those on the Les Paul Forum - what's the pickup "flavor of the month" over there?

20. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

Throbak