1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Highest prices on Ebay

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nmiller, Jul 26, 2008.

1. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone know the record selling price for a guitar on Ebay? I ask because I see [​IMG]auctions like this and think, "What are these people smoking?"

2. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

i saw that too and thought the exact same thing. i think in some cases, like this one, its a combination of zero knowledge of market value, and pure greed.
    the other funny thing about the astronomical guitar listings is when the seller will use a handful of crappy photos and little to no useful information. if Im buying an object that costs many thousands, I want high quality images to determine the investment first, and I want a phone number or physical address where it can be viewed and/or picked up.
    but then again, Im not a thurston howell the third, cruising ebay for farmhouse attic guitars.

3. mrbungel

mrbungel Member

I do believe that guy is just joking. I've seen a few auctions similar to that one, on most, you could tell they were not serious. A couple years ago, a guy was asking $200K for a Squier Strat made in China or Korea, obviously a joke. It's just some guys kidding around, poking fun at some of the overpriced guitars.

4. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

In February of 2006 a pre-war Martin D-45 sold for $255,000.00.

5. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure that some of them are joking. I also realize that vintage prices are going up. But I've also seen people ask $2500 for Harmony Stratotones...

6. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

On a similar thread a few months ago, a fellow TGPer posted that he had once (for the fun of it) put up on ebay an end-of-life (not working anymore) battery. He said that he clearly stated that at the auction!

The battery went out for a few bucks:jo

Go figure...

7. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

I don't think he's joking.

I offered him $87,256, and it was declined!:)

I guess I'll never get a W. Starrett guitar at a decent price:jo

8. mrbungel

mrbungel Member

Are YOU joking, Junior???? LOL!!!!!!!!!
    I have a WAAAAY cleaner W. Starrett that you can have for $50,000.

Pony up :jo

The funniest thing that I EVER saw on ebay...... a guy was selling Elvis' booger. The seller wrote a great description, even had a picture!!!! His dad was in the Army with Elvis. They were in the mess hall, the seller's dad saw Elvis blow his nose on a napkin. Elvis walked away, and dad took the napkin. Years later, dad passed it on to his son (the seller). It actually got 2 or 3 bids, went for about 2 dollars!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  9. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Top 5 that I have seen on Ebay:
    (1) 1958/9 Korina Explorer $550,000
    (2) 1959 Sunburst Les Paul Std $387,500
    (3) 1959 Sunburst Les Paul Std $225,000
    (4) 1957 Les Paul Goldtop $110,000
    (5) 1957 Les Paul Custom (3 p/u)$80,100

But I don't keep track of everything - only things that are interesting to me.

10. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

mrbungel - Thanks for the offer, but I just picked-up a mint 1967 Harmony Stella that seems to be just as good - or better - than the W. Starrett. I don't know about you, but I think there is too much hype surrounding the W. Starrets - especially since they all weigh between 9 and 11 pounds:rotflmao

11. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

that made my day ...
    I d have a large grin all day long thinking about it :D

12. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

there was another guy selling a japanese electric guitar found on iowa jima in 1946 for 1000.00... the picture was a husk of a conrad/decca/global/kingston type thing from the late 60's. not EVEN a teisco. I emailed him and told him that it most definitely is not a guitar made prior to 1946... his reply was "oh sorry, i meant to say 1966". didnt change the ad though.
    ebay:NUTS

13. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

the lunatic relisted at ten THOUSAND dollars HIGHER.

14. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

More power to him. He has a worldwide audience of idiots at his disposal, and sooner or later, there's a chance he'll hook one of them. P.T. Barnum nailed it a century ago, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Don't shoot the seller, just laugh at the bidder(s).

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

A '41 Martin D-145 went for about $265,000 on ebay a couple of years ago. I actually was able to check the guitar out before it sold... in the condition it was in, it was definitely not worth that price.

16. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Currently re-listed for 108K!