• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Highest watt tube amp

AcornHouse

What was(is?) the tube amp with highest watts? I've seen some up to 150w, but I got to wondering how high has it been pushed from purely tube power. NO solid state or hybrids allowed, please.

Pics or tube layouts if you can.

stratamania

Here is a couple of 200 watt amps off the top of my head.

Marshall Major 200 watts
Blackstar series one 200, 200 watts

Both use KT88 power stages.

DRS

Reeves also makes a 400w amp. They are designed as bass amps but work as guitar amps, too.

Devin

Low Voltage
^^^ I think that would be it.... surprised the chair can hold it.

Maybe some bass amp that is louder but i doubt it.

bb5000

Marshall VBA400 , 400W
Ampeg SVT, 300W
TraceElliot V8, 400W
Verellen Meat Smoke, 400W
Weber AB200, 300W
Peavey Classic 400, 400W
Sunn 300T, 300W

HawkeyeKane

Guitar or bass amp?

I think the most powerful guitar amp that Fender ever made was the Super Twin and Super Twin Reverb at 180W with 6 X 6L6 special designs.

Traynor has the YBA-300 at 300W with twelve, count em, TWELVE 6L6's for 300W.

alexandergj

see www.chambonino.com 1000 watts ! Mr Chambers is not afraid of high voltages.

Quite a coincidence Mr Trout! You're in Illinois, I'm just a few miles up the road from John in Yorkshire.

Last edited:

Will-

Quite a coincidence Mr Trout! You're in Illinois, I'm just a few miles up the road from John in Yorkshire.

John used to repair all of my amps as I'm just round the corner from him, sadly he no longer does repairs, what John doesn't know about valve amps isn't worth knowing

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
It'll be interesting to see if anyone takes advantage of the KT150 to build a 600w (4 tubes) amp. In the meantime, a battleship main PA amplifier sold on Ebay a decade ago. It was the size of a small refrigerator (power amp only) and put out 20,000 watts. With a little tube preamp you could have a killer rig to power your stadium gigs!

Promit

Yeah, 1000W is pretty big. I thought I could maybe find bigger though. I found the hi-fi VTL Wotan MB-1250: http://www.stereophile.com/content/vtl-mb-1250-wotan-monoblock-amplifier Which uses 24x 6550s. They're meant to be run in stereo for a total of 2500w.
There's also Ko'lok: http://sound.westhost.com/specs.htm Which is specced for 3kW, but it's not clear whether it was actually properly built and demonstrated. Apparently AM radio transmitters are essentially audio amplifiers and have reached as high as 50 kW in civilian radio use and 1 MW in military use. I guess that doesn't really count for this discussion though.

Still, if you really want to know about utterly gigantic amplifiers, it seems like the WLW transmitter probably takes the cake for civilian applications: http://www.ominous-valve.com/wlw.html at 500kW. The power was derived from twelve RCA 867 tubes, each of which stood five feet tall.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom