Highly figured Alder body = better tone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Apr 4, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Anyone feels that this is true and has there been any case where a non-figured plain Alder body sounds better than its more expensive highly figured counterpart?

Is figured Alder body also more unstable (more prone to warping, expansion and shrinking etc.)?

2. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Any experience in this matter?

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Anything I've ever read indicates figuring has nothing to do with tone.

4. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

If it makes you feel good you'll play better and sound better?

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Highly figured Alder??? I've always thought of Alder as having plane jain grain. I've never seen anything I would consider highly figured alder, nor had I heard of it until this post.

Most people if they are being honest will tell you the figuring has no bearing whatsoever on tone. In fact, mr PRS talks about playing Dicky Betts Les Paul and noting how absolutely fantastic it sounded, yet it had plain jain grain. That became the inspiration for the original McCarty modle which did not have figured woods. People want the figured wood to sound better becuase so many people find it visually attractive, yet the may or may not sound better.

6. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Figured alder? Thats news to me. I think you are pretty good to go with any piece of alder as long as it's lightweight, or reasonably close.