Highly “tweakable” Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KyJeff, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. KyJeff

KyJeff Member

Hi Everyone. Been playing for a long time. Have never bothered with pedals. I’m getting more interested in them. Is there a general consensus on multiple pedals on a board that have a lot of controls such as the clean boost tc electronic spark. I have a feeling I’ll end up with a decent amount of pedals. I get it’s all subjective, over all Is better off going with pedals that are simpler if you are running multiple pedals? thanks for your input.

2. Gclef

Gclef Member

I went from a tube screamer and a rat thru the front end of whatever amp I had at the time to both of those thru a set of bogner pedals into a small clean amp.
    I love all the switches on the bogners! I can find something that works well with all my guitars. Good or bad, it takes a while to really get the most out of a switch/option heavy pedal.
    I like to be able to shape my base sound, so more switches here.

I prefer my boosts to be simple.

JmpOne and KyJeff like this.
  3. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

If it has more than three knobs I'm not interested. The main concern is to be able to recreate my settings in a live situation as fast as possible.

Big in Japan, Jack DeVille and KyJeff like this.
  4. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Member

Depends how you think about your pedals really ....

Some people like 3 knobs max and some like to have a pedal with menus and presets so they can call up presets live. Personally I reckon on many pedals doing less things gives a better sound than fewer complex pedals covering all the options, although that applies more to compressors and drives rather than modulations, delays and reverbs.

Get yourself a board and power supply for about 10 pedals, any more than that is too heavy to lift. I have a T-rex tonetrunk 56 arriving today as I already have one of their power supplies and brackets that only seems to fit to a T-rex board. If you don't want to splash out on a board this big at least get a decent small power supply like a t-rex junior or something to start off with.

Then go for pedals to build a basic tone, one or two drive pedals and a compressor if you need one, a pedal tuner is usually a good idea as is an EQ pedal.

After that, think about modulations, delays and reverb. Choose ones you like the sound of. I like chorus, but that is not everyone's cup of tea. I have one pedal that does only slapback but your needs may differ. This is where the complex/simple choice comes into play - you could get a Small Clone chorus if you really like that specific sound or you could have a Strymon or Boss 500 if you want something with presets and tricks. If you are not sure then get a small multi effect to find out what you do like.

Get the pedals gradually, some of them have a learning curve. Eventually, you might find a chain of more than five pedals results in a tone suck so you could then need a Boss LS-2 or something to shorten the chain.

Best of luck with your search, it is great having a set of extra sounds at your feet.

KyJeff and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  5. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

I think the TC electronic Spark booster is a very nice pedal to start with. I like that kind of lay out (4 knobs, 1 switch), very flexible but no option paralysis. It goes from really clean boost to color boost, to dirty boost up to OD. Love that pedal! And about the highly tweakable I might add I like highly tweakable but not to tweak a lot to find a good sound. I like pedals that are highly tweakable but are hard to dial a bad sound in with. That combination does it for me.

Enjoy the pedal-adventure!

KyJeff likes this.
  6. Pazz

Pazz Member

Well obviously the Amptweaker line would be of interest to you. They sound great, have a lot of ways to “tweak” the sound and, with all the loop options, they are a great base to built a pedal board on.

Also, the current run of Barber pedals have three knobs and two toggle switches and use them to get a wide range of tones.

Good luck. Welcome to the obsession.

KyJeff likes this.
  7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Totally depends on the pedal and what I want to use it for.

With OD, I way prefer simple. Had a Dumble style pedal with all kinds of settings (matching the many on Dumble amps) and it was way too much for me. Because many (actually, almost all) interact with each other. Add gain and the EQ changes, change the EQ and gain changes, etc.
    basically what captaincoconut said.

On other pedals, still prefer minimal, or such s the El Capistan, where I set the secondary features and pretty much leave it at that and only really change the mix, delay time, and type on the fly.

But I do get a kick out of more tweakable pedals at home sometimes. It’s fun to play around with and if I get a killer sound at some point, take a photo of the settings and maybe would use at a gig.
    It’s not a hard and fast rule, I like both but for different applications. And I break my “rules” when it is worth it.

KyJeff likes this.
  8. Naigewron

Naigewron Member

I usually don't like pedals with too much control (single tone pot suits me fine), but I really do love my Rockaway Archer

[​IMG]

9. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

It really depends on the situation and your amp. Overall, I prefer to have options especially if you’re trying to get a good sound in a crowded mix.

For instance, I really like the Wampler Tweed ‘57 to add midrange and overdrive while shaving some bass from my Fender Princeton. The 3-band EQ is great in that scenario.

That said, it’s possible that you get thrown by too many controls. I once had a gig with a 6-piece blues band where the bassist was struggling with the parametric EQ on his amp. At one point, he called on the transgendered sound engineer for help. She marched onstage, flatlined his EQ and said, “Now you sound good.”

KyJeff likes this.
  10. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I think with most pedals, you find a setting & stick to it. I'm assuming this.
    A simple/complex pedal will just affect how much you can tweak. But eventually you find something & stick to it for some time.
    So, the only time simple/complex pedals is a question is when you want to dial it in on the spot & very quickly. But even for that once you understand how the controls work, even a complicated one may be easy enough to work with.

I was reading on the Fromel Shape EQ vs Empress EQ. Fromel is preferred for the simplicity & Empress for the tweaking power. Once you spend time with the pedal, I don't think it matters so much.

guff, KyJeff and thefruitfarmer like this.
  11. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

My Walrus Slo has so many things that are adjustable I often forget all the possibilities it has until I bring it to my parents house on the occasional weekend and dive into it and find some cool new settings.

KyJeff and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  12. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I love tweakable, but I much prefer it to be knobs and switches and not having to access sub functions. Not sure why I’m like that.

13. McGTR

McGTR Member

To me that parameter doesnt matter, its not rocket science either way. What matters is if the pedal is useful in concrete scenarios and if it sounds great. Good usually doesnt cut it, the pedal needs to have something special going for it.

KyJeff and thefruitfarmer like this.
  14. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

If you depend on pedals for your core tone and the backlines can vary, you might want some extra flexibility. Otherwise, simpler is usually better IMO.
    I have several drive pedals that are fairly complex, but I got them for tone, not versatility.

I feel the same way about guitar wiring - used to think more options were better, then realized nearly all my playing was done using just a scant handful.

KyJeff likes this.
  15. KyJeff

KyJeff Member

Great input. Thank you!

thefruitfarmer likes this.
  16. KyJeff

KyJeff Member

Got one on the way!

Jaguar likes this.
  17. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

To each his/her own. I used to think that I wanted a 3-band EQ on every drive pedal. Then I got turned onto Lovepedal. 4, 3, 2, 1 knob: it doesn't matter. I can't get bad sounds out of them. A well, voiced pedal doesn't need a lot of knobs.

But again, to each his/her own. Have fun on the journey.

18. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I like to tweak when I first get a pedal. I want to be able to see/discover what the pedal can do in different scenarios such as rhythm and lead playing and stacking pedals as well as thru different amps. That said, I don’t switch out pedals on my board much once I’ve found a pedal(s) that I like. If they can cover a lot of ground, that’s a big plus especially when doing studio work.

One of my favorite drive pedals that have been on my board since it’s release is the Ethos TWE-1. It can do so much totally and stacks very well with other drive pedals.

KyJeff likes this.
  19. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

find some old fart with an over flowing pedal collection, bring some beers and let them start bragging...
    a few beers in and you should get some hands on :anon

KyJeff likes this.
  20. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

For me
    - If it's not on the surface, it's not adjustable in the live setting, by mere mortals.
    - Menus are for setting up, not for accessibility.
    - same goes with banks, afaic.

That said, I am absolutely in favor of knobs and switches.

KyJeff likes this.