HighOrder Pickups: My Search is OVER!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tommyg, Oct 3, 2005.

1. tommyg

tommyg Member

I just played my Heritage H-150 "Les Paul" with my newly installed HighOrder pickups. (a 7.7 in the neck and an 8.6 in the bridge, both with AlNiCo2 magnets, unpotted, with nickel covers).

These pickups - for lack of a better word - are incredible! They have such a satisfying smoothness and airyness to them. Chords have such an even chime displaying incredible note definition and evenness. Single note runs, bends, etc. evidence a sweet personality and individuality that just did not exist in the previous pickups (Gibson '57 Classic in the bridge and an unknown "Gibson USA" PAF in the neck). These pickups really do bring out the tonal qualities of the guitar and are so well balanced between the bridge and neck that I don't have to worry about one overpowering the other. When I play both pups together it's such a sweet blend; the tone is perfect for slide!

In general, these pickups provide exactly what I wanted; the character of the guitar. Who could ask for more?

Also noteworthy are Jeff's (Mr. HighOrder himself) personalization of the pickups to me; "Tom - Keep playing the blues! Jeff" adds a great final touch! The product itself (visually) evidences impecable craftsmanship.

Jeff has been a pure pleasure to work with (both email and over the phone) during my selection process. He was patient and answered all of my questions and offered suggestions.

When it's time to replace the current pickups in my Heritage 535 I know just where to come to; HighOrder Pickups! :)

2. jcs

jcs Member

i havent tried any of jeffs covered non potted pickups yet,sounds like i need to..

actually i am going to do a custom fit humbucker for an sg special neck p90 slot next...

i have 3 highorders 2 are 8.5k and one 9.7k...

i told jeff i was going to swap around mags and he was understanding and cool about it...

needless to say i am very happy with all of my highorder pickups so far, and i must own 25 duncan-dimarzio-gibson humbuckers..

the quality is there:cool: ;)

3. Brick

Brick Member

Glad to hear the positive reviews.

My HO pickups should arrive any day now. I ordered 8.7 A2 for the bridge and a 8.0 A3 for the neck, uncovered double whites.

+1 on Jeff's customer service. Very responsive, patient and helpful.

I can't wait. :dude

4. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I haven't heard a negative review on Highorders yet...and justifiably so.

I love my 7.8k/8.5k A-2 set. I'm looking for an excuse to buy another humbucker guitar just so I can get another set of highorders from Jeff! :D

5. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Very cool TommyG! Nice review. Glad to hear you found what works for you.

I have a nice set of handwounds from another winder that sound very simialr to your tonal descriptions. Mine are A3's, unpotted, unbalanced coils...etc. Amazing clairty and articulation. I too like how the wonderful, inherent acoustic properties of the guitar shine through.

I do belive Jeff will get the call for my next pickup fix.

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'm planning to slap a pair of HO alnico2 unpotted covered p/u's in my Agile 3000 then if I like them, I may force some uncovered HO'sinto my CT6M. Thanks for the review!

7. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

I've also got to say Jeff's service was exceptional. He answered all my questions, even told me how to swap the magnet out of my Dimarzio VPAF. He even tossed in an A5 to swap out the A2 in the Maximus I bought from him, in case I didn't like it. Great guy and a product with an unbeatable price. Can't comment on the tone though - no time to put it in! It looks lovely though!

8. fig

fig Member

I agree with Tom. I too ordered a set of High Order pickups around the time Tom did. But I have a 7.8k in the neck and an 8.3k in the bridge - and they're potted. I told Jeff I wanted Seth Lovers, only a little hotter in the bridge.

I LOVE these pickups a lot more than the WCR Darkbursts I had in my LP - and more than the Seth Lovers in my other guitar.

I just ordered another set from Jeff. :D

9. Stranglehold

Stranglehold Member

Does high order have a website? I couldn't find one. How do you get in touch with the guy? Thanks!

10. Brick

Brick Member

http://www.highorderpickups.com/

Jeff is a great guy. My new pickups are going in over the weekend.

11. Stranglehold

Stranglehold Member

Oh, I had tried high order with a space & that didn't work. Thanks! I ordered two sets: a 8.5 a2, 7.8 a2 set & a 10 a5 maximus, 8.3 a2 set. Two sets for less money than some others cost for one set. Cool, hope I like them.:dude

12. papersoul

papersoul Member

Is there a huge difference with his potted vs unpotted pickups? I want to order some for my LP but I know many guys talk about unpotted or partial potting. Even WCR uses a special technique to allow the pickups to behave like unpotted pickups. Do the potted High Orders lose anything?

13. Reeek

Reeek Member

Here is Jeff's reply to my question about his potting versus non-potted:

"With regard to potting, it reduces the tendency for microphonic feedback (squealing) which can be an issue as you increase the gain. I should be able to wind you something that won't be excessively microphonic. An unpotted pickup will take off earlier though, so you might have to be a little more conscious of where you are relative to your amp and how much gain and boost you use, etc. You can get into good feedback earlier and possibly more places along the neck. Potting brings things under control more or less, but I don't pot under vacuum so there's not a tremendous amount of difference in the tone. Finally, unpotted will have a slightly more open/airy tone. Again, one could argue whether or not it's a noticeable difference. I have pretty sensitive ears in between the tinnitus, and I can hear a slight difference. Ultimately, if you go unpotted and the pickups seem unmanageable, I'll pot them for you at no charge."

I originally was going to go with unpotted but I changed on the fly after reading this.

Here is what I went with in the end:

7.8k AlNiCo 3 neck POTTED – Nickel Covered – 2 wire
    8.5k AlNiCo 3 bridge POTTED – Nickel covered – 2 wire

They are probably close to being finished. Maybe within 1-3 weeks. Going into my Agile AL-3000 Prestige Goldtop

14. tommyg

tommyg Member

I have noticed a little more "sensitivity" - not necessarily "microphonics". I can hear the aireness that Jeff mentions.

I ordered the unpotted because that was Seth Lover's original PAF design. I wanted something "as close as possible" to a good ol' PAF and to my ears there's nothing better. :D