HighOrder pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ES330, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

Anyone using them ??

Wondering which magnets you liked.

2. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

Never heard of them! Do you have a link to their website? Thanks!

3. jcs

jcs Member

alnico 2 and 3,until you get into the hot winds like 10k and above..

10k and above alnico 5 and even ceramic can be really punchy- with an attitude..

overall i like the 9.7k alnico 5 but alnico 2 and 3 in 9.0k and under pickups...

smooth kick ass pickups with great workmanship,killer price too:dude

4. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I'm on the list for a pair of Jeff's humbuckers (Highorder). 7.8k neck and a 8.5k bridge, both Alnico 2 magnets. I haven't heard a bad review yet on these pickups...quite the opposite in fact. Everyone who owns them seems really pleased with the construction and performance.

I'm still about 5 weeks away from getting mine, so I won't be able to evaluate them for a while.

5. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Handmade pups...at those prices?!? I had to do a double...triple-take. Wow...how cool is that.
    Greg

6. gnugear

gnugear Member

I just installed a Alnico 3 8.3k bridge pickup and it sounds really nice. More open, detailed and clearer than the Duncan '59 that was in there before ... and I still like the '59!

7. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I was just out in your neck of the woods two weeks ago gnugear.

Beautiful country...and almost no rain the whole time I was there!

8. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

At the price he is selling these for I am going to give them a try. If they are half as good as advertised it would be worth it at this price point!

9. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Hey Bloozcat-
    Speaking of...I lived in your neck of the woods for a couple years way back (79-81)...went to FIT when they had a campus in Jensen Beach, enjoyed my time there. I'm sure it's grown a lot since then.
    Greg

10. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

No kidding Greg? I had a lot of friends at FIT. I've lived in the area since 1972.

Did you ever have an instructor there named Dr. Susan Braunstein? She's a good friend of ours.

Let's see...I think Ernie Cantelmo became an instructor there as well after graduating from that campus.

Denny Egan was the photography instructor and one Hell of a keyboard player...complete with a Hammond B-3.

Yeah, the growth in the area has exploded since you were here. You'd still be able to find your way around JB without any problem...it hasn't changed as much as the rest of the area. The FIT campus has been bought by Martin County and has been turned into Riverside Park. The chapel building is still there though. The old dorms were torn down and an upscale assisted living facility built there in it's place. Definitely looks different now.

11. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

ended up ordering a 8.5K A2 and 9.0K A5

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Small world, eh? I only clearly remember one woman instructor that taught EMT, but that name sounds vaguely familiar. I though that something happened to that campus...enjoyed a couple great years there. Didn't stay with commercial diving all that long afterward, but worth while experience. Thanks for the update! (sorry to the rest...back to pickup chat!)

13. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Jeff says that the 8.5k A2 is his personal favorite. I hope it becomes mine as well!

14. tommyg

tommyg Member

I ordered mine earlier this week. I also ordered the 7.8 (n) and 8.5 (b); non-potted with nickel covers - both with AlNiCo 2's. These will be going into a Heritage 150 (Les Paul).

It took me forever to choose the DC ohms! The Seth Lovers I have in my Heritage 535 are 7.2 (n) and 8.1(b) and are non-potted. I originally felt like going with 7.5 (n) and 8.3 (b) to keep it somewhat similar to the SL's but Jeff told me his recommended 7.8 (n) and 8.5 (b) will be nice and smooth with a tad more bass. Also - I noticed SD Antiquities are 7.8 (n) and 8.52 (b) (both are non-potted as well). Since I read a lot of good things here on the Antiquties I felt the extra "juice" would be a good thing; I figured I can always adjust the height or roll back the volume knobs to make any tonal adjustments.

I may still give Jeff a ring to roll back the ohms (maybe to 7.5 (n) and 8.3(b)). But I still have about 4 weeks to make a decision! :D

15. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Yeah, it took me a while to decide too. I kept vasilating between the A2's and the A3's, but finally in the end I chose the A2's. What I really wanted was a nice, smooth, classic tone like an old set of 57's and with great note definition, harmonics, and clarity as well.

16. jcs

jcs Member

i too like the 8.5k in alnico 2 and 3,just enough mids and a fatter smooth top than most of the duncans i have used which include;

59s
    alnico pro 2
    pearly gates

you can always change the mag,just make sure you follow the right procedure like at projectguitar.com

i am going to order an 8.0 to 8.1k with possibly un-balanced coils

then i will probably do a 9.0k with possibly un-balanced coils as well..

overall i find the alnico 2 a bit warmer-softer and a bit more mids compared to the alnico 3 which is a bit less compressed sounding and a tad more top end..

they all are great and you better get em before jeff decides to raise the prices a bit,i hear he is at a 6 week wait at this point...

17. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

jcs,

outside of coil splitting, what does un-balanced coils gain you or lose you ??

18. gnugear

gnugear Member

I thought all his pickups were unbalanced?

19. jcs

jcs Member

gnugear, where did you hear jeffs pickups are all unbalanced?

maybe they are a very tiny bit unbalanced where one coil has a very slight more resistance than the other..

what i am speaking of is a big 'unbalance' like 1 coil with 5k and the other with say 3.2k,which would be 8.2k total...