HighOrder pups, Im happy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ABKB, Mar 19, 2006.

1. ABKB

ABKB Member

:AOK
    So I have this Epi Dot that has been lying around for a couple years now. The reason it has rarely been out of the case is, I have had to pour money into and STILL not been happy. I have had fretowrk done on it, changed the nut, tuners, guts, everything, but the thing still sounded like poo. Since I got my LP, not much of a reason to really use it. So I went and got some HO pups for it. Ordered in December, got them 3 weeks ago, but took my luthier a few weeks of fighting with it to get em in. Plus I had him put push-pull coil taps in there and I guess that was a pain too.

Anyway, these pups are AlNiCo 5, 9k-ish in the bridge and AlNiCo 3 8.3 in the neck, with nickel covers, 4 conductor wire for tapping. I like my pups to have some heat, but for a semi-hollow I didnt want to be fighting feedback all the time. Finally got to play em last night. SWEET! :D That pos Epi FINALLY has some personality. The bridge is nice and strong, with a bit of sweetness. Lightly compressed, (which I like in a bridge pup) without losing flavor. And backing off on the volume a bit loses the compression without going flat. LOVE IT. But that neck pup, oh man. Dark but not muddy, strong, but not distorted or compressed. The PERFECT balance for me in the neck. The nice thing too about the pickups is, I have never been a big fan of the middle position on humbucking guitars. Always sounded grainy to me. But these thing sound nice there. No grain in sight, just a nice even sound, but one that still has a bit of punch and sweetness. The added bonus of all this, the coil taps. As you all know, tapping a bucker will not give you a strat sound, and I wasnt expecting that. What these things give is a nice funky sound, with some thickness thrown in. And not much noise at all tapped, even when playing with dirt. So far my favorite position is tapping the neck and leaving the bridge as a bucker. That way I can go from funky spank to lead by going from the middle or neck pup to the bridge. I LOVE these pickups. Wont have a gig for a couple weeks but I look forward to trying these things out live. It is an Epi, so I dont think this will replace my LP anytime soon, but I would have no problems at all using this guitar as a backup now and will be using it on tunes that dont call for a lot of heat, but still need a humbucker. Guys, I cant rave enough about the neck pup, so authoritative, but not overbearing. I can see me using the neck a LOT (both in tapped and untapped mode) and switching to the bridge for stinging leads. Will try and post some pics later today.

Thanks Jeff, you make some great pups, highly reccomended!

:dude

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Glad you are digging them. I have 2 sets due anytime. I ordered Jan 5,(I think) and Jeff said about 2 more weeks. I can't wait. I ordered a set of alnico2's w/4 conductor and nickel covers, and a set with 1 alinco5 bridge and 1 alnico3 neck w/4 conductor and nickel covers. Both will be his asymetric wind. I told Jeff to pick the power of the winds.

I've tried quite a few pickups lately, and nothing had really rocked my world. I also have quite a collection of spare pups building at my house.

Again, glad to hear you like them, and I will be sure to post my thoughts when I get mine. They sure are priced right!:AOK

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

I think you will like these paintguy. I have tried a few different flavors, and for some reason, these things just seem to "breath" more than some of the others I have tried (Duncan, Dimarzio) while still retaining thier authority. Sweet seems to be the best word I can describe these things as.

4. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've got a set of A2 HB's in an LP-o-copy an a set of A2 P90's in another. Astounding pickups!

5. Srini

Srini Guest

Glad to hear that...I'm waiting for my A2 assymetric bridge HD with a gold cover and 4-conductor for my swamp ash strat. I told Jeff I wanted to warm it up a bit. While I was telling a buddy of mine all about it, he decided to get a pair for his Ibanez 335 copy....

Can't wait!

Srini

6. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I sometimes shop for guitars just to put his pickups in.

I know, that's sick...

7. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I'm glad to see this thread! I ordered my High Orders on December 29th, so I should be seeing mine soon as well. I've got 2 Al3 hummers coming, both 2 conductor, nickel covered, with slight asymetric winds for clarity & "sonic bloom" as per Jeff's recommendation. Neck at 7.8k, bridge at 8.5k. These are for an 1pc mahogany strat with a Scott Lentz "S" neck. I told Jeff I was looking for clarity, note definition, string to string separation, overall balance in all frequencies, & "sonic bloom". I'm really looking forward to trying them out, & it shouldn't be long now.

8. Leftee

Leftee Guest

When I first ordered pickups off of him, the wait was 2 weeks. :D

9. ABKB

ABKB Member

Lol, yes it is, but hey, I think we all on this board suffer from it to a degree. BTW, I saw the pic of your Epi on another thread, except for mine being right handed and I removed the pickguard, we have the exact same guitar.

I played mine again tonight, wow, what a treat those new pups are. Very smooth in the neck, lots of growl in the bridge.

10. grinder965

grinder965 Member

Jeff is winding some of the best pickups money can buy. Just recieved and installed my second set and they are good as the first set so that was no fluke. In fact, I prefer them to all of todays pickups made by Gibson and a little bit more than Lollar's Imperials and Florence's Voodoo's and those are both some nice pups.

11. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Eventually I'll get around to ordering a set for it. The stock pickups with the A2 mags sound pretty good. I can live with those quite happily.

BTW - the pickups in mine were marked "57 classic" or something like that on the bottom.

12. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

I have a set in my Tokai NES-120, and I'm pretty floored. I have Rolphs 59 Pretenders in my 58 Historic, and while they are great pickups and deserve the kudos they get...these High Order Pickups are flat amazing.

I have the new wind that Jeff has been playing with, PAF clones: Nickel covers, AlNIco II magnets, 7.5k neck, and 8.3k bridge (if I recall); and after only having them in my guitar for roughly a week or two, I'm still finding amazing tones- both clean and dirty. I will be ordering another set for my 58 RI shortly. Just fantastic stuff.

TWO THUMBS UP. WAY UP!!!!

13. ABKB

ABKB Member

Interesting, I havent looked at my old ones yet, but I will take a peek tonight. Wonder if they are the Gibby 57's or a Epi clone of the 57's?

14. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

cool!!!!! i have some highorders on order, ordered them about a month ago for my epi dot. glad to hear they're working out good for you. my epi has been hanging in the case for far too long, can't wait to play it regularly (it was my first "real" guitar) also upgrading the tuners all electronics and posibly the nut and tailpiece.

the old pickups in my dot are stamped epiphone on the baseplate, which is not connected to the pickup and only glued to the cover, i was going to try to remove the covers to see if it would eliminate the squeal i encounter at high volumes, but nothing could be done, anyways i have some decent photos of the epi pickups at home, maybe i'll post them tonight, btw they were potted.

as for my highorders i went with a even wind alnico 2 for the bridge asymmetric alnico V for the neck. The resistance will be in the 8.3k to 8.7k range for the bridge and 7.5k to 8k or so for the neck. Can't Wait.

Thanks for the review!

15. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

+1 on the High Order love!! I put a set of A2's (7.8 neck 8.5 bridge) in my PRS Singlecut. That guitar was pretty good to begin with, but the tone was a little too compressed and lacked complexity....that is, until the HO's went in. Now, I can't put the damn thing down.....absolutely AWESOME!!! Just ordered another set for my Peavey Wolfgang.....wonder how they will do in a Floyd equiped guitar.....we'll see!!

16. Leftee

Leftee Guest

That's the same A2 winds (asymetric) I have in my LP-o-copy. Astounding pickups.

17. ABKB

ABKB Member

Could somebody tell me the difference between the asymetric winds and regular winds?

18. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

19. Srini

Srini Guest

Just got a note from Jeff....my asymmetrical A2 with gold cover shipped this morning...:)

Srini

20. Rich M

Rich M Member

+1 for Jeff's pickups. It hasn't been said yet, he's also a really great guy. Full of GOOD advice on pickups, but happy to do whatever. I've got his pickups in my '73 LP custom and Agile 2800. They still make me smile when no one's looking :AOK.