HIGHORDER PUPS in LP Standard.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gapple88, Mar 23, 2006.

1. gapple88

gapple88 Member

Going to order Highorder pups for my 2005 Gibson LP Standard. (came with burstbucker).

ANyone got experience with this? Seems really good value for money. I am looking for the classic sound. Maybe bluesy or 70s-80s rock. Whaddya think?

2. jcs

jcs Member

i have had several highorders for years now,excellent pickups..

i suggest the 8.5k bridge asymetric bridge and 7.8k asymetric neck in alnico 3...

if you want cleaner-brighter tones go 8.2 bridge-7.5 neck....

i use jeffs pickups in several guitars including my 65 sg.....

3. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

Terry Kilgore gave one to me, and it's fantastic. Highly recommended!

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Talk or email Jeff. He will guide you.

Wish my 2 sets would show up! Haven't tried them yet, but am anxiously waiting.:)

5. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

I have been really interested in his pickups too.

I have called him up and he seems to be a really nice guy.

I guess I will have to pull the trigger on a set of these pickups too!:angel

6. gapple88

gapple88 Member

Thanks Guys.

Just ordered a zebra colored set, Great service and comms by Jeff.

Now the long wait begins...:RoCkIn

7. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

The wait is well worth it. My Asym. A II's (8.3k and 7.5 k) are just stunning, wonderful pickups.

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

A question to all you folks familiar with Jeff's product...

I'd like to try a set of his PU's, I'd definately think I'd prefer an A2 magnet in the bridge, but maybe an A8. What I'm looking for is a bridge tone that is PAF, but with a fat rounded top end, yet still maintaining string definition and sparkle. Not too much high mids...

I thought a Fillmore would be the ticket for that, but I found it was a bit exaggerated tonally...

I'm sure Jeff would steer me as well, but wondered what y'all think... At the moment it's for a guitar that has a set of Crossroads in it - I think they are phenomenal PU's, the neck is perfect. The bridge is really quite good too, but the tone of the wood in this guitar might require something a touch fatter...

Whaddya think?

9. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

ricky- don't sell the A2 short in the bridge position for what ya want. Not until you hear what Jeff does with them.

I think Jeff may want to steer you towards A3 in the bridge as he did with me; but in the clips I heard of the A3 was sorta cool at first, but after a few minutes I found the top end a bit 'grating' to my ears.

I'm glad I stuck with A2 in both spots- I'm getting what you are looking for according to your post.

The Asym wind is part of the reason for the sound.

10. jcs

jcs Member

i dont find jeffs a3 mag "more grating" on top than his a2 mag (in the same pickup) thru my 50s-60s fender amps and 71 marshall 50,at least once you have the pickup adjusted in the sweet spot that is...

true, jeffs a2 winds are very warm and smooth in the traditional paf resistance range(8.0k to 9.0k)...

there is no way one pickup can perfectly fit every guitar and amp,that is why i was so drawn to jeffs pickups in the first place,jeff will do any wind you want rather than offer a standard lineup such as most winders offer...

jeff has a true one man custom shop where one person (jeff) controls the whole wind-assembly and the quality-attention to detail is evident in the final product! great workmanship...

11. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

jcs- I'm not slamming Jeff's A3 pickups at all- I just didn't like the A3 clips I heard...which, as I had discussed with Jeff a few months ago, may very well be a product of the particular recording and amp/eq-ing used at the time.

I trust Jeff's suggestions; but I also know what I want to hear, and for ME, the A2's were spot-on. I'm not so sure the A III's would have been my bag. But many players really like them.

Jeff spent much time picking my brain about what direction I wanted to go, then made some suggestions; I responded to them, then we narrowed it down to just a few choices.

I am still in the early stages of really getting comfy and familiar with these pickups as I have not been gigging these last few weeks (and still haven't dialed-in the polepieces all the way) but for what I'm hearing at the present- he nailed everything I was wanting to hear (and omitting what I DIDN'T want to hear). BIGTIME.

12. fast ricky love

Thanks Crunchy... I just sent Jeff an inquiry... :)

13. Reeek

Reeek Member

These are what I have, in nickel covered. In my Agile LP copy. Highly recommended!

14. paintguy

I just put a "Maximus" wind alnico 5 bridge and a alnico 4 neck in my custom guitar. They aren't doing it for me. Not bad, just not what I was hoping for.

I also bought a pair of alnico 2 assymetric winds that I'm going to put in instead. I hope I'm as happy as everyone else that has bought them.

I'll let you know after the switch.

15. bradpeterson

bradpeterson Member

Has anyone compared Highorders to Seymour Duncan Antiquity's?

Reviews?

16. fast ricky love

My High Orders should be here in a few weeks. Since I've ordered these, I've gotten a set of Tom Holmes (AWESOME), Antiquity's (Nice but wish they had a bit more balls), SD Slash Pro II's (Trying this weekend) and quite a few Shaws (LOVE).

It's been a great A2 showdown!

17. jcs

jcs Member

paintguy, i am curious, what is it the maximus isnt delivering tonally if you can describe it?

imo,it is impossible to make one pickup deliver the best tone for all guitars, i own a lot of guitars and have spent years swapping pickups..

matter of fact, i have installed the same duncan 59 bridge-gibson t-top and dimarzio paf ive owned for the past 25 years in maybe 40 guitars over the years and though these pickups display their "signature voice" the guitar is still the deciding factor..

i think the maximus is very warm and smooth on top but not bright enough for some rigs for example,but man can they warm up a bright thin guitar without getting muddy or too bassy...

probably highorders 8.2 to 8.5k bridge alnico 3 is a fav of mine overall for a wide range of guitars and tones, i tend to have more problems with the neck pickup being too bassy and muddy,hence highorder 7.3 to 7.8k alnico 2 or 3 but a few players are using highorders in the 6.5k range for neck positions for very clean and defined chording (jazz-funk-country)...

18. paintguy

jcs,

Actually the Maximus is pretty nice. The neck is too dark for my particular guitar. I also felt the bridge didn't clean up as well as some pups. I do like the Maximus though. I did put in my second set, alnico 2's with a assymetric wind. I'm much happier with this set. Somehow the neck pup is a little dark again, but I'm still tweaking.(could me my guitar)

Also, I agree about the pups needing to match the guitar. I just put a set of Gibson 57' classics I had lying around in my 75' SG. I did have the 57' classics in a Les Paul and felt they were way too brittle and bright. In the SG, they sound fat and warm. I would never have thought that. My tech suggested the change, and I am very happy.

Also, I like you have been changing pups way too much. It's getting a little stupid.

So, anyone interested, look for a set of Highorder pups for sale real soon.

19. Plexihacker

Plexihacker Member

Paintguy,

Please let me know if you're going to sell the HO pickups. I have a couple of guitars that I'd like to experiment with while trying some of Jeff's pickups.

You can e-mail me at:

tmyer5 (at) charter (dot) net

Thanks! :AOK
    Gary

20. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I have a set of Jeff's pickups in an Agile 2800 DLX (LP copy). The set I ordered were the 7.8k A-2 neck and the 8.5k A-2 bridge. After playing the guitar for several months and adjusting the pickup heights, I found the A-2 neck pickup to be too "boomy" in my guitar. I contacted Jeff about the problem and we agreed that in this particular guitar another magnet would probably be in order. I asked Jeff for an A-3 magnet, and as only Jeff would do, he said he'd send one out - no charge. Well, when I opened the package, I found not just the A-3 magnet that I asked for, but an A-4, and an A-5 as well. That's the kind of service that has made Jeff's customers the loyal lot they are...that and the superb tone of his pickups.

I don't care what the current wait time is for a set of Highorder pickups. I wouldn't order humbuckers from anyone else.