highorder pups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blues, Oct 2, 2005.

1. blues

blues Supporting Member

I just send out a money order for a set of highorder pups.Im after that stormy monday tone on the allmans at fillmore.:D I may put them in my r7,but im think maybe my sq,im fixing up its a 69 and I sold the pups a year or so ago.Does anyone know what a late 60s set of t-tops are going for?.How does any high order users out there like them? Dave

2. jcs

jcs Member

i have highorder 8.5k and t tops and pat no. along with duncans...

also play a 65 sg special(route for humbucker bridge)..

i think the t tops are too bright and thin for sgs in general(particulary the bridge),but there are exceptions..

i've owned 6 sgs over the years and i prefer highorder 8.5 to 9.0k alnico 2 or 5 for the bridge in an sg...

t tops may work well in the neck of your sg though and they are going up in price though there are a ton of them around..

i would consider a highorder 9.0k alnico 2 or 5 bridge and an 8.0k alnico 2 or 3 neck for what you describe...

i say this because the later sgs have the bigger route(less wood) and have that certain mid range honk and top end that set them apart from other guitars....

of course much depends on your whole rig and electronics in your sg

3. JLee

JLee Member

I have 2 sets of High Orders in my Tokai SG and Love Rock. A 7.8 Alnico III in the neck positions and a 8.3 Alnico II in the bridges. Awesome sounding pickups, incredible value. I think they hold their own against all of the Gibson, Fralin, Duncan and Tokai PAF style pu's I've had in the past. I actually prefer them to all but the Fralin, which to me is a standoff.

4. blues

blues Supporting Member

thanks I just plug straight into my 1974x

5. blues

blues Supporting Member

Just got the new my highorder pups are on the way:D

6. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

Have you received the pups yet? If so, what do you think?

Let us know.

Thanks,

7. blues

blues Supporting Member

Yes ive got the pups,I have not had a chance to put them in,when I do I will post something,they are going in my R7

8. ABKB

ABKB Member

Waiting for mine. Two weeks left of waiting!

9. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Supporting Member

I've got an 8.7k Alinico III and 7.8 Alnico II in the neck of my Agile 2800 LP clone. I would think the AII's would sound awesome in an SG.

10. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

Thanks - Anxious to hear how you like them.

I ordered a set last week from Jeff and plan on putting them in my 2003 R9 LP Historic Authentic. I am not completely enamored with the Burstbuckers and am looking to get more of a robust PAF tone.

Jeff and I had quite a bit of communication and I settled on the following:
    Bridge pickup - AlNiCo 2 in the 8.5k to 8.7k range
    Neck Pickup - AlNiCo 4 in the 8.1k to 8.3k range

Jeff was very helpful and his responses were thoughtful and quite detailed. If the way he deals with customers is any indication of the quality of his pickups, I am sure to be extremely happy.

Regards,