Highway 1 Strat pickups ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Big Al Z, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

A buddy of mine has a Highway One Strat and just can't get a good sound out of it. I think it may be the pickups. Lots of treble - very harsh sound.

Does anyone know what kind of pickups are in these? Any opinions/experience? Is it worth putting a new set in?

He's mainly the singer in the band playing backup so I don't know how much money he'll want to sink into it.

Thanks - Al Z.

2. suttree

suttree Member

the newer hwy1's have better pickups, but yah, the earlier (than last year) ones had really bad pickups. check here and ebay, you should be able to get a great set for less than $150

3. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

The original ones had pickups left over from the just discontinued American Standard Series, but I don't know what they went to after those were gone. I don't think they anticipated the popularity of them.
    I hope this helps a little.
    Tony

4. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

The original one has/had (according fender):

3 Vintage Style Single-Coil Strat Pickups with Staggered Pole Pieces, Alnico Magnets

They are noisy, weak and the middle pickup is not wound reverse, thus no reverse polarity. But I found in position 2/4 a really nice quack

One of the best thing of this model is the neck profile. I am gasing for one

5. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I just got my new one yesterday.....It's a leftover HSS from last year...$399.00 fron zzsounds. So far so good..... as far as build and fit and finish and staying in tune. It's light..... and sounds good acoustically. I haven't plugged it into my rig, but will tonight. I'm hoping it will NOT need pick-ups...as I only play as Strat for about 8-10 songs.....The rest of the time SINGLECUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :JAMWhat's this Greasebucket circuit???????????

6. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

The older ones had the same pickups as the Classic 70s Strat: decent AlNiCo Vs. Some speculation is that the same pickups with different covers were used in the Classic 50s/60s, as well. I'm not sure on that, and I don't know where some people come up with this other info but you can find all the parts lists and numbers on Fender's site.

7. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

It states w/the Greasebucket circuit "rolls off highs without adding bass or muffling the tone".

8. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Well....I just took mine in and had it set-up.....changed the bullets to SIT's 10's...... changed the white pickguard to a tortoise one. Boy for 490.00 bucks including set up and pickguard..... I'm amazed!!! The neck and middle PU's are great.....the bridge HB'r is a tad muddy.....I think a PAF or a 59 would be better IMHO......but I'm gonna gig it live to see if I can stand it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :JAM OH YA....and IT's AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Big Al Z

Big Al Z Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses. I've played it a couple of times now - with new strings - and I gotta admit that it's a good guitar for the money. I got a set of Rio Grandes in my Strat that I'm not too crazy about so I might throw them in the Highway 1 to see the difference.