Highway 1 Tele, with Kinmans, through a Music Man

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderfan, Jan 7, 2008.

1. fenderfan

fenderfan Member

Here's some fun gear sampling - in this video of my band, I'm using a Highway 1 Tele, with Kinman pickups, through a Music Man 1x12 amp with a Weber California speaker. The occasional crunch is provided by an old original Real Tube overdrive pedal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xEhZNB8Xbo

2. hot_rats

hot_rats Member

Anyway, what do you think about kinman pickups? some of them sound potentially great according to the samples on their website.

3. fenderfan

fenderfan Member

They completely solved my pickup search for years. Also, they really saved me in many gig situations where there was bad wiring that would have caused huge hum without the Kinmans...

4. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I'll have to wait until I get home to be able to view your clip, but I'm intrigued by your setup.

In the meantime, have you tried any other noiseless pups? How do you feel they compare to the Kinmans?

5. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Great tone. Are those the "Broadcaster" or "60's Tele" pups?

6. Tadams

Tadams Silver Supporting Member

Great tone. I may have to get out my old Music Man RD-50

7. fenderfan

fenderfan Member

Redd - yes, I have tried many, including Bardens, and the Kinmans were the ultimate for me in terms of killing all hum while maintaining a strong, throaty Tele tone in actual gig situations.
    Paul and T - thanks for the positive comments. Those Kinmans are the Custom 60s.
    It's funny about that Music Man amp - I have owned just about every model of Fender amp, and loved most of them, but was willing to let them move along in various gear transactions...but I won't ever let go of that Music Man.

8. Disco Scottie

Disco Scottie Member

Cool tones! And hey, let your pinky bend a string every so often... he's probably lonely and jealous.:D

9. fenderfan

fenderfan Member

Ha! He is lonely and jealous...and too weak!

10. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I checked it out last night....cool stuff!

11. Stubee

Stubee Member

Sounds real good. I've been playing my AV'62RI some thru my RD50, I like it but it's a very "chimey" amp vs. my Pro Jr so gotta set tone controls way down with a Tele with those pups. Other guitars not an issue & it's a great amp, I've had it forever & got it way back when nobody wanted 'em. Used to gig with it quite a bit.

12. fenderfan

fenderfan Member

Stubee - I also find that my Music Man sounds better with some tone adjustments like that. I need to run the bass control higher than I normally would on other amps, and that gives a great, full tone that really punches. In that video clip, I had my bass control on 8, with treble at about 3 or 4...