Highway Patrol: Junior Brown???

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bluesbreaker59, Oct 20, 2008.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Ok, so does anyone know the little low twangy licks he uses as a intro, in between the verses and to kick off the solo??? I've been banging my head on this one for a while, its a bit frustrating.

OR

If you know any Gene Moles licks from the original version or any of the other Red Simpson tunes.

Thanks in advance.

2. ksuaggie

ksuaggie Member

I saw Junior play this at Copper Mountain last summer. I think he de-tunes to get those low notes. Mostly I stood there with my mouth hanging open...

3. Niblos

Niblos Member

Junior is a musician's musician! Nothing can match seeing him in person. Recordings do not do him justice. Catch him while you still can. He is a legend around these parts.

4. Pickaxe

Pickaxe Member

Junior's work with his tuning pegs is just as seamless and spot-on as his switches from guitar to steel and back again as he changes verses.

and he plays LOUD.

5. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

No kidding. When My Brother and I saw Him 2 years ago We had front row seats but got up and moved back after 2 or 3 songs. He will cause dropping of the jaw!:eek:

6. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

Those twangy licks on Highway Patrol are just all in standard tuning played on the E, A and D strings. This kind of thing

D---------------------~2-~2-0----------
    A---------0-0---0-3-0----------3-0---0-----
    E--0-3-0------3---------------------3------

7. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

thank you very much, after working on it last night quite a bit, I had a variation on this worked out, just take a few listens

The Gene Moles stuff is still difficult for me, with all that string skipping going on, and really twangin it up.