Hillsong United Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Aj_rocker, May 20, 2006.

1. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

hey

i remember a picture of the pedalboard of the lead guitarist of hillsong united. does anyone still have the pic and mind posting it here for me and us lot?

if you can thats great

thanks

Aj

2. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

3. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

4. jops

jops Member

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but...

Could someone please tell me what the pedal with the dice control knob is?

5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Boss box. The knobs (except for the dice) are from the bd-2 or tr-2. But I would bd-2 since he uses a dunlop tremolo. Just a guess.

6. jops

jops Member

Thanks Musicbox, though the answer was a little less exciting than I hoped. I was just watching the United We Stand DVD and it showed shots of him playing the pedals instead of the guitar.

Interesting, his Loooper says Nick Nitro but I don't see one on there.

Cheers anyway...

7. mild

mild Member

Its pretty elementary, but if anyone was wondering what sort of delay settings he is using for the Intro/Time Has Come etc, then here they are... (I made notes whilst working backstage)

Effect level - between 12 and 2 Oclock
    Feedback - Ditto. (Lots of repeats!)
    Delay Time - BYPASSED
    Mode - Triplet (number 10) - just tap away!

We play that one all the time, its a great song...

8. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I thought that pedalboard looked familiar, I had to go through my inbox to be sure. He e-mailed me a picture of it last week, to see if I could add something to it.

9. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Jono, I play that song regularly in church too, though i am using a Boss DD20 set to dotted eighths. it's an awesome song. :dude

what guitar/OD do you use for it?

10. gil

gil Member

I'm pretty positive that it's a Boss DM-2 analogue delay. I think he, Michael Guy, even confirmed it when I spoke w/ him after a show in Austin last year. Dice knob on rate control for easier access to the Radiohead sounds.

11. gil

gil Member

You guys have any luck doing the intro riff to "Take It All"? I don't know if it's a combo of the two delays, or what, but I can't quite nail how lush it is on the record (I'm also using a DD20). I hope to ask him after the Aug 3 show here in San Antonio. BTW, I use a treble booster followed by a TS-type pedal (sometimes an actual TS-9) into my BadCat Cub II.

12. mild

mild Member

Hey dude! I play a Thinline Tele which I've decked out with Texas Specials - it runs super hot, sounds amazing through my Matchless DC30! I still have my 80's AC30, which I was using a Cusack Screamer with to good effect, but for some reason the Matchless just doesn't want to play nice with Screamer pedals... My Hotcake is my best pedal for it right now, and I've got a number of pedals on the way - including an EGDM!

I'm not sure if that is a DM-2 or not (the colour doesn't look right??) - however I can definitely confirm he was using one when he was here. :)

Which leads right onto...

Yeah, plenty of luck! Myself, and the other guitarists at my church, usually just set the repeats reaaally thick if we are using one delay, or do a Quarter/Triplet with a second pedal on Dotted 8ths if we do the 2 delay setup.

I'm currently using twin linked DD5's in a Parrelel config - as in, the tap is Y split to both inputs, and the dry signal goes to both. Usually I set one on Quarters and one on Eigths... But to be honest I know the sounds less by Quarter/Eigth/Triplet description, and more by sound and feel?

Do either of you know if its possible to get .8ths on a DD5? Or two DD5's? Better than that... can anyone take a stab at describing .8ths, and how they should sound compared to the beat?

Haha... I suppose we shouldn't mention Nigel Hendroffs new riff for Take it All on the new Hillsong album, eh...? (Here's a hint: Its AWESOME!!)

13. mild

mild Member

Jon... I know this is probably bad taste... but could you post the picture up? I'd love to see a slightly more friendly pic of this board than that one posted. Its mugly!!

Ooooh... was he going for a Tap-O-Whirl? Or something custom... so intriging!!

14. Mojo Tele

Mojo Tele Member

Jono,
    Hey fellow kiwi, which church are you playing at over there? I am at a hills off shoot in southern Sydney.

Last time I saw Nige he was playing a Gretsch Rock Jet thru a nice DC30, but as with all his gear it is subject to change.:rotflmao

We share the same luthier, Charles Cillia.

15. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

nigel is the lead guitar for hillsong not hillsond united. Nigel is a beast of a player, and im trying to get a pic of his pedal board. Hes moved to gretsch, but still uses his lp, and prs (i think is it a prs). pedals and amp wise thats what im trying to work out!

thanks

Aj

16. mild

mild Member

Hey Mojo! Good to see we are of the same ilk... Tele's for life!!

I'm playing at CLCA - Christian Life Centre Auckland. Mostly in the Friday Youth Services, and sometimes Sundays as well. :) I was sure old nige' was using a Duo Jet, through a DC30/AC30 stereo setup at Hills conference...? At least, that's what I was told...

Charles Cillia? Never heard of him... whats he done for ya? Whatcha playing? And if I'm a fellow Kiwi... where did we lose ya? :D

Um... read closer bro. We know who he is, this isn't a Chizzer vs. Hendroff thread. Both of them are incredible, in their own different ways.

Nigel has been on Gretsch for a fair while now - since the God He Reigns record. As far as his pedalboard is concerned, I have the list from the God He Reigns concert, but you should know... its no board - its a rack. He also has a pedalboard which he takes for touring/smaller gigs.

His setup changes dramatically everytime I see him, but amp wise, he has used AC30's, a Mesa Nomad 55, and a Matchless DC30. The first time I saw him he knocked me flat - playing for Brooke Frasers band, he turned Brookes pop-produced tunes into these amazing rock peices - threw me sideways, he was incredible! Every time he plugged that Les Paul into the twin AC30 rig he was running that show, I was just floored. Less so by the PRS... not such a fan...

Let me know if any of you want me to post that list, it is an interesting read.

On a related note... if you get the God He Reigns DVD, there is a fantastic workshop on it in the extras with Nige' taking you through the lead work for some of the songs, and better yet, doing a Gear walkthrough of all that he used on the album. ;) Check it out, it helped me out plenty.

17. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Great info here brothers.. keep it coming!!!

The Planet Shakers are coming for an outreach concert at my church next month, i'll likely be showing them around town and bringing them gear shopping. can't wait! :D

18. gil

gil Member

Yeah, even though Chizzy's Boss pedal is all painted-up, you can still see the original DM's color around the knobs. Here's a good example from eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-DM-2-Analog-Delay-Effect-Pedal-Made-in-Japan_W0QQitemZ260010528750QQihZ016QQcategoryZ41415QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regarding the "Take It All" riff, maybe I'm playing it wrong. It sounds like it has more notes than I'm playing, but the delays make it hard to tell. I can pull it off at my church, but, to me, it doesn't sound as HUGE. Tried the double delay setup just now, and I'm still not getting it. Also, his delays are in-series in the pic. Oh, well, I hope to ask him on Aug 3.

Regarding dotted eighths on the DD-5, I would assume that it does them, cause that's what Chizzy is using, and he gets that U2 sound that Hillsong does so well. BTW, here's how I think of a dotted eighth. "Dotted" adds half of the note's value, right? So, a dotted eighth is 1.5 times an eighth, or 3/16ths. Now, play muted 16ths on your axe (one-eeh-and-uh-two-eeh-and-uh-three, etc...). A dotted eighth is ONE-eeh-and-UH, where ONE is the initial note and UH is the delay. I always think of the U2 song "Bad" from "The Unforgettable Fire." GREAT tune!

19. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

The picture posted is actually a better picture than the one I have. It's too dark, and the LED's are too bright, so it washed out alot of detail...

20. jops

jops Member

We're rehearsing the Inside Out song from Hillsong United at the moment. I was watching the DVD and he plays with the dice knob pedal a bit. It makes sense that it's a delay, you can hear it warbling away in the background. I was wanting to create a similar sound to go between songs...