hilton/ goodrich volume pedal users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by msp, Jan 16, 2006.

1. msp

msp Member

i am purchasing a new volume pedal this week

I am so sick of my ernie ball, its been on the board for years and years but i am convinced that it is the culprit for a weee tiny bit of break up on my high end in extreme situations (and i'm ready for a buffered volume pedal to go in its place)

so my choices are the hilton or the goodrich ldr 2

i was woundering if anyone had any opinion on either of these two pedals:

-are their noticable differences in either one (they look the same)
    -what is the difference in the two different inputs on the goodrich

any input, ideas or suggestions are welcomed

2. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

I've never used the Hilton... but I've got an ldr2

The two outputs do exactly what goodrich describes.. one is normal the other brightens your sound a bit.

If you've never experienced a high quality potless volume pedal.. then you're in for a treat... the goodrich is absolutely beautiful sounding.

My only complaint is that the input and outputs are on the same side of the pedal.. It never fit right on my pedalboard.

3. msp

msp Member

that and a wall wart are distracting

actually the goodrich site is down and there is verry little available info or pics

i have been able to find at least a little more on the hiltons

regarding the goodrich: whats with the trimpots? do the trimpots only control the normal input or both? can the goodrich actually boost your signal as well?

4. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

hrmm... I don't know... I never messed with them

Actually, I'm becoming such a damn purist that I can't stand any pedals in my signal chain anymore..was thinking of putting my ldr2 and passive goodrich on ebay tomorrow

5. msp

msp Member

how old is your ldr2 i would consider saving you the trouble on one of those

6. msp

msp Member

just ordered the goodrich ldr2

can't wait

7. move

move Member

my only complaint about the ldr is that after years of eb usage, i'm used to most of the swell being in the last half of the pedal travel.

i'm about to order a hilton because you can adjust were the swell is with an internal trim pot.

8. msp

msp Member

hmmmmmmm

that would be agood feature .............

but actually i didn't like that quality about the ernie ball (seemed like a waist to me..... 80% of the sweep controled 15% of the actual volume

i never saw that feature on the hilton page......but the goodrich ldr2 has 3 trimers for adjusting the interaction with the pedal

one for tone on the normal input jack

the other two were for the output jack......minimal volume when the pedal is heel down (goes all the way to completely cut off) and maximum volume when the pedal is toe down (it has up to a 15db clean boost)

i don't think the hilton offers any boost, both, of course buffer your signal

any way i would love to hear your opinion of the hilton after you recieve it

9. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Email sent to move re Hilton :angel

10. move

move Member

thelionsden----i haven't recieved your email. try me at pianotech333@earthlink.net.

msp wrote: "but actually i didn't like that quality about the ernie ball (seemed like a waist to me..... 80% of the sweep controled 15% of the actual volume"

i didn't like it either i'm just so used to it now it would be a pain to un-trane myself.

i was not aware the ldr has internal pots. i'll have to check that out on a freinds' before i order a hilton.

11. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Ok, I tried it...

Dennis

12. James Knox

James Knox Member

Where can I get info on these? I want to replace my EB. Visual Sound is reissuing their Volume pedal at the NAMM show.

13. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey,
    Get a hold of GAT. He is looking for an LDR 2

These are great pedals!!

M.E.

14. msp

msp Member

actually they are not internal trims, they are available underneath the pedal so you don't have to take it apart (probably similar to the hilton)

i usually call to talk to the builder befor purchasing something "expensive"

mr. hilton would not reply to my e-mails or phone calls (he may be busy or is having an a crisis or maybe he doesn't really give a ****....i don't know but i thought i would be fair)

goodrich on the otherhand took my call (aswell as sent me an email with specs, because they are in the process of upgrading their website) ollie goodrich spoke with me for a half hour and wasn't saticfied untill all of my questions were answered. (actually it was ollie who told me that the reason why the shell of the pedals look the same between the hilton and the goodrich was that goodrich started making pedals 40 years ago...they decided on a certain form and that form became verry popular w/ pedal steel players, due to the angle and height.....keith hilton was a huge pedal steel guitar player and when he dicided to start making pedals -20 years later-the goodrich demensions where what he was acustomed to......so he found out who was their manufacturer and and called them up to order a few for himself)

i appreciated that ollie took the time for me, he seemed to genuinly love the product and wanted to tell me about it............but that didn't completely sell me on a goodrich pedal over the hilton...it was the features

15. msp

msp Member

the cheapest i could find new was this guy:

songwriter.com

its a guy named tom bradshaw who used to be the publisher for steel guitar magazine back in the 70's and 80's

his price includes shipping (it maynot be displayed online so i'll let you know he sold to me for 255.00)

i think that this is the minimum that goodrich will let dealers sell their pedals for...i have not been able to find anything cheaper (atleast not without shipping) and people don't sell them used often (the goodrich or the hiltons actually)

16. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

Info for you potential LDR2 buyers. This pedal runs on 18volts. I power mine from a Power Pedal 2 supply and a double 18 volt cable with the polarity reversed. The polarity is not the same as all "Boss type" pedals, it's reversed. This is easy enough to verify with a volt meter before you plug it in. I have not touched a pot on mine, I just use the full frequency in put which is the most transparent as I don't want to change the tone character of my guitar. The smoothness of this pedal is going to take some getting used to as I'm used to an Ernie Ball. I also talked to Mr. Goodrich twice when I called the company.

17. msp

msp Member

what are the miliamp requirements? maybe i could still use my origonal pedal power...

18. msp

msp Member

19. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I don't know what the current draw is but it can't be very much as this is a volume pedal not a processor. I'm sure Mr. Goodrich can answer that question. The important thing to remember is the polarity is reversed from Boss pedals which are the standard cables that come with power supplies. To confirm proper polarity between the wall wart that comes with the LDR2 and your power source from Power Pedal, check (with a digital voltmeter) center conductor compared to outside conductor of both (unplugged from LDR2) and make sure the polarity (+or-) is the same. If one reading has a - in front of the voltage, the other one should also. The wall wart is putting out around 25 volts (even though it is marked as an 18 volt DC supply) but Mr. Goodrich said 18 volts is perfect. If your not sure how to do this, I wouldn't try it as a mistake could fry the pedal.

20. msp

msp Member

appreciate the info but i can build my own power cables (and i'm fully aware that the pedal requires a reverse polarity dc input) it does require 18v and has an active boost/buffer....so the miliamp requirements are a mystery to me (though your assumption may verry well stand true)

i have allready spoken with olie goodrich over the phone be he really didn't know off the top of his head

does anyone know? just look at the miliamp output on the ldr2 power adaptor.... or check the back of the manual