Himmelstrutz Gramps+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by seth3, Feb 19, 2015.

1. seth3

seth3 Member

Tell me about it.

Especially when used with a HBOD, if you can.

Right now, my only fuzz pedal is a Fuzz Factory and while it's unlikely that I'll sell it, I think that a more OD/Fuzz-ish pedal might be a better fit for me.

2. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

had one - meh - found it a little bland - a little like the BJF Pink Purple Fuzz too

I really preferred the PTD minibone/bone machine for OD/Fuzz and my AM Sunface NKT275 for classic fuzz

I'd think minibone would cut thru the HBOD nicer.

3. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I don't know if it's rig-dependent or what, but mine is my favorite fuzzer, hands down. To my ears, it doesn't sound like just a fuzz, but rather like a fuzz in front of a cranked Plexi, or something thereabouts- it's fuzzy if you want, but there's a familiar kerrang! sound underneath it, and the fuzzy nature can be added to taste. It also has tons of shades of both the distortion and fuzz sounds by adjusting the gtr volume. It can be very OD-like if that's what you want, and then you can bring in the fuzz with just gtr volume, without an obnoxious jump in volume. I've never played another pedal like it. String separation/note clarity is second to none, as with all the Fettos. It loves being pushed by a boost in front, so stacking with a HBOD would likely work very well, but the way I use it, I would set the HBOD sort of clean so that it's more adding saturation than stacking two types of distortion. I haven't found a demo that I really think imparts the sound of playing in the room with the pedal/amp.

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I aquired one in a trade. Worst trade ive ever done. Overpriced big time. Like Kenoflife said, get a PTD minibone. You'll thank us later!

5. seth3

seth3 Member

Interesting that it divides so much. The PTD does sound good, for sure. I just listened to the PTD/Honey Bee video on You Tube and thought it sounded really nice.

Really, I'm downsizing, so I'm trying to get od and fuzz in the same place. And, honestly, the HBOD comes close with the Nature all the way back and the drive all the way up...

6. kenoflife

The PTD would be a great tonal opposite to the HBOD - esp w/ a treble boost built into a small box Bone Machine you'd be pretty set in all directions... the Bee likes to be spanked a bit - and the fuzz and the low gain OD n the PTD is NOTHING close to the HBOD whatsoever

might take a year to order tho!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Supporting Member

If you're going to buy a Gramps+, just make sure you get it really cheap or are willing to take a loss on it. I've never had more difficulty selling a pedal...

That said, it was just not good in my opinion so I would opt for anything else.

8. kenoflife

yep - lost quite a bit of $ on that one - and I got it used.,.

9. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Had one for a hot minute as well. Didn't like it one bit. The Fetto pedals are great and I really loved the standard Fetto I had. However, the Gramps + was one of the worst pedals I've ever traded for. Ended up taking a loss as well on another trade for it.

I would definitely not recommend it. Not sure why it's so underwhelming, but it was bright, harsh and didn't produce any of the familiar fuzz face style tones I was looking for. It reminded me of more of a bright/thin distortion.

Mini Bone is a great recommendation or if you want vintage style FF, grab a Berkos Third Stone.

10. soli528

I mainly play a P90 korina Hamer into a Fargen amp (Blackbird type channel) and I would characterize the natural clean sound to be sort of dark compared to your typical Deluxe Reverb sound. Maybe dark is the wrong term, but certainly FAT and mids-rich. I don't know how this compares to evryone else commenting in this thread that thought it sounded thin or harsh or plain. It just couldn't be further from my experience.
    I used to have a mini-bone- nice pedal, but it's not what I would recommend for dirt that could play the roles of OD and "fuzz-tortion". Gated, splatty, octave-y sure, but that's sounds like a different animal. :dunno

11. seth3

seth3 Member

Everything is so relative to taste/playing style/abilities...

The PTD video that I watched made me think "this is what a HBOD would sound like if it's a fuzz" but kenoflife thinks it sounds very different—in a good way.

I'll have to think about it—I have a Himmelstrutz Gekko delay whose boost, I'm finding, is perfectly voiced for my rig. It's bright and defined, which makes it a good counterbalance to an otherwise dark rig (HBOD and Basic Audio Throbby into a Fender Pro Junior). So, bright could be good, in appropriate doses. On the other hand, I prefer warmer/darker sounding stuff overall...

Who knows. Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I think I'll probably just stick to trying the HBOD cranked into the mostly-cranked boost on the Gekko for a while. It does sound pretty awesome (maybe this means I need a Fitzo, soli528?)

12. soli528

I remember our exchange on the other thread re: the Fitzo- I have not used one, but from the description of it from other users, maybe? sure? :D
    Don't know, but it sounds like we're coming from similar preferences re: base tone being on the darker side of things.

13. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

The gramps is one of my favorite pedals. It's very versatile. I like it better than the Fetto. I guess maybe if you're a real fuzz guy you might not like it. It isn't a real fuzz. It's a fratzy overdrive. Lots of tonal choices, great mid-range character. Cut through a mix better than a real fuzz.

14. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Mapleneck is spot-on. It's not a true FUZZ, it's a fuzz-tortion. In many ways I think it's actually a lot more useful than a straight fuzz. It is like a fuzz into an already dirty amp.

I think those who don't like it were either expecting a regular fuzz or didn't try all of the options with it. Like most Himmelstrutz pedals a little experimentation pays off big time.

For example I find that if you set gain down low so it's basically clean it makes one of the best boosters i have ever heard. It beefs up Strats in the best way - better than a TS. And by itself, with a load of reverb and/or delay I get some beautiful Gilmour tones. It's so expressive, really touch sensitive.

Don't think of it like a normal fuzz, because it isn't. What it does really well though is get those fuzz tones you hear on record - not the splatty ones, but those where they tone has been produced with outboard gear to smooth it out a bit, and become more vocal.

A little perseverance will work wonders with any Himmelstrutz pedal. They are worth it big time.

15. sstweed

Another advantage of the gramps is that it gets better with volume. The power it has in a mix is great. Through my rig it cuts through better than any Klone. Doesn't sound like a fuzz though. No Hendrix, no srv.

16. kenoflife

I played with both Klon and Gramps on the same board all that summer. So uninspiring - much better pushing my very on-its-own-lost-in-the-mix Sunface NKT thru a clean boost (Klon) or mild OD (Jester - or even the Fetto Custom at the time) - then could really get shades, color, and volume on my guitar to mix it all in. ! I think thats the ticket - fuzz thru a little OD. And the PTD is a real fuzz - esp w/ Si/Ge option - btw I play behind a fairly mellow folky rock group - the PTD doesn't have to be set sputtering or whatever.
    Kept trying w/ the cute little gamps+ - and then kept trying to sell the thing!

I'd say no relationship to my silver Klon whatsoever!
    Wouldn't say a Klon has a 'cut' but it makes things sit in the mix in a wide way w/ its particular mid voice,
    So the gramps isn't a fuzz nor OD -like the BJF PPF its kind of attempting to capture a recorded sound of a fuzz - so maybe better in a hi-fi kind of setup than with a tube amp set close to breaking up.

- - fwiw - from that summer - some kind of combination of Fettos, Klon, and wah going down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8x30Ik61W8)

17. sstweed

We're probably not after the same sound or something, although I have owned and loved most of the other pedals you've mentioned (except the minibone - never owned that one). I've had lots of fuzzes through the years. I actually never felt I got all that lost in the mix with fuzzfaces. Maybe I was too loud?? :)

I'm not crazy yet about the Marshall DSL40 I've been using lately, but the Gramps sounds really good through it. And the marshall is more than a little dirty. I'm not a clean amp - pedals for dirt kind of guy. The pedals nudge the amp up just one extra notch.

18. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

It's super weird to read some of these descriptions. It's almost like we've got different pedals or something.

Mine has PLENTY of bass and mids on tap...infact often too much, which I have to dial out.

It doesn't really get your iconic really splatty fuzz tone, but IMO there's plenty of hendrix and SRV to be found with some tweaking and the right setup.

For reference, I usually play through it with a strat that has WCR SR pickups and through a AC-15 or Twin Reverb.

I haven't really found a setting that I like with humbuckers as much as I do single coils.

19. sstweed

It's always the case here that it seems no two people hear things the same way. It's still fun to talk about gear though, even though in the end it accomplishes pretty much nothing.

20. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

My issue wasn't that I didn't give it enough time or that I didn't spend time with the settings... It was that no matter what I did, it was a pedal that sounded harsh and thin. Couldn't dial out the thin.