Himmelstrutz...what happened?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mach1, Apr 3, 2016.

1. mach1

mach1 Member

A few years back, you could close your eyes, point at a thread on here and nine times outta ten you'd hit one talking about Fettos, Nords, etc. What happened?

2. seth3

seth3 Member

Dunno, but I still love the Gekko delay!

3. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

competition and flavor-of-the-day

Don't follow their work much, but have they come out with a new pedal recently? Seems most pedals on their website are still talking about finishes from 2012 that would vary "depending on season and reason."

4. teleclem

teleclem Member

I still use my Nord a lot. Nothing has kicked it off the board yet.

5. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Over priced, not sold by Prymaxe, PGS and those types, where you can get the price reasonable enough to try one and the color white is boring.

Cruciform, dpgreek and Jet Age Eric like this.
  6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

$$$, marginal demos, limited availability, used prices just as $$$ as new prices, murky description and revisions

they are excellent sounding pedals built extremely well but see above ^^^

Cruciform likes this.
  7. seth3

seth3 Member

Keep in mind, too, that they come from Sweden, which is just more expensive than the USA, where a lot of the popular gear stores (PGS, etc.) are based. So, Himmelstrutz is fighting against the currency tide.

Plus, with TGP's fickle nature, much of the talk is centered on workingman gear (Boss and DOD) right now.

Joakim is a very nice guy, and they're good pedals. And, really, they're not more expensive than a couple of mass produced od's that will probably get flipped/sold down the road.

sketches and Steven like this.
  8. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

I had one. It sounded good and was built well, but I had pedals that cost a third as much that matched it in quality so I moved it on. Also, if you notice those old threads, there was one particular member on here that popped up in a good chunk of the threads promoting the brand. Wonder if that poster is still as fervid a supporter nowadays, or if they have moved on...

frisco likes this.
  9. highgeer

highgeer Silver Supporting Member

I was late to the party, but the Maximus is the best OD/Distortion pedal I have ever used. I have tried to replace it but cannot. I also have a whitfill DUI on my board. Both are incredible

Mike

10. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

The maximus looks amazing.

11. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Good pedals with awful resale value.

woland likes this.
  12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Joakim is a very talented agent of the distortion arts - and his pedals are some of the best high gainers I have ever had the pleasure of playing thru!

he gets the "brown sound" perhaps better than anyone else I have heard!

TimeSnow and bonehead1972 like this.
  13. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

No idea on the OP's question, but I got a "Fetto clone" (written in sharpie inside the enclosure, could be any circuit in there for all I know) in trade for a pretty terrible pedal (marshall guv'nor v2) and I loved it from the first open chord through a deluxe reverb. I don't think I'd ever pay the kind of money the real thing sells for, but the idea that there just might, maybe, be something to $200+ boutique dirtboxes did briefly cross my otherwise skeptical mind.

Fetto or not, whatever is in the box I'm playing is a pretty darn excellent overdrive pedal - about as dynamic as my honey bee with more edge and ker-rrang. They stack wonderfully, complementary dirt character and midrange profiles. Those two and a Timmy on the end is my dirt section. Would love to have someone who knows have a look or compare it to a real himmelstrutz fetto....

14. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I’ve got a Fetto “plus” or something like that. I’m not a “rock” guy, but I think the pedal sounds great, and the single-sized format with an added clean boost and soft click switches are added bonuses. It also has mini, three-position toggles for mid and presence. It was much lower in gain that I was expecting, which I like.

15. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I've been through about every flavor of the month wave that has hit TGP, including Himmelstrutz. I had a couple Nords, a Fetto Custom, a Fitzo, and a Gramps+. All really really good pedals. The idea of having a pronounced low end and a measured high-end with a relatively flat (to slightly dipped) mid profile made it a fairly unusual and at times controversial pedal around here. Many called it "hi-fi". Not me. The sound blended well with my amps and speakers. Even if it took a little coaxing to cut through the mix without the mids. They did stack great, were as I recall pretty quiet, and fairly flexible designs. In a perfect world (read unlimited budget) I would have kept mine. They were one of those pedals that you didn't want to sell, so you would just shelve them for a while when something new came along. Then when you dusted them off and put them back on your board you could go "wow!" all over again. But the grim reaper of the budget comes to call periodically, and it finally caught up with my Himmels. I had at most three at a time, and even that was $600+ used.

The vast majority of the complaints on TGP were price related. Blasted exchange rates. Joakim really should have done what BJFe did with Bearfoot and gotten into the American market at a reasonable price. They would have made a HUGE dent in the market at $200 or less.

16. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I played a few and they were good. But, not "better" than pedals I could get for less than half the cost. And quite frankly, a single-channel overdrive shouldn't cost that much new; it's one thing when hype drives secondary up, but that's silly for a primary price. Not sustainable.

la noise likes this.
  17. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Pedalshark.com sells them. Brian Spencer is a TGP member.

18. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Pedalshark never has sales or % off(probably has plenty in stock that aren't going anywhere fast and might deal now), hence the major prices for these. If there were five or six boutique pedal makers that would be one thing but there are 200 or more with more inline pricing for what you get.......that's what happened.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  19. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I believe I have every Himmelstrutz pedal model ever made. I love them. Coincidentally, I was running different boost (had a bunch of stuff I was given to try) in front of my Solano gear today, and tried to replace the U/O, but still liked it best. The voicing works great with the Solano voice in my opinion. The only 2 pedals I'm using right now are the Paco buffer and the U/O. They are pricey, but when an original tube screamer is $800+, the $350 for a pedal that works flawlessly with my rig becomes a nonissue.

20. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Don't assume anything if you don't know. The prices are set for a reason. The Himmelstrutz pedals are made up of high quality components of which Joakim will not compromise on as the builder, nothing wrong with that. Pedalshark is a small boutique shop unlike the likes of Prymaxe and others who could afford to sell pedals at a discount. Pedalshark has never had issues with customer service to likes of some pedals hops to the likes of Prymaxe or Rogue.

edgie likes this.