Hipshot 7 string tremolo

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OhioEric, Aug 16, 2006.

1. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

Has anyone tried the Hipshot trem for 7 string guitars? I know a lot of people on here love the 6 string version but I'm planning on building a 7 string and would like some opinions. The only other real option I've found is a Floyd and those are a hassle to change strings and fairly ugly.

Thanks

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

We've used it. It works just fine. We combine it with locking tuners and a low friction nut.

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

i want a hipshot so freaking bad, i want to get it fit on my prs or something, or just get a custom strat!

4. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

It is a great thing indeed. They take a while to make them though...
    Still waiting on one right now!

5. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

Thanks for the replies. Just so you know I'm planning a Warmoth baritone 7 string with the 28 5/8" scale. I'm thinking ash body with pau ferro fret board and 2 humbuckers wired to a VVT with a 3-way switch and push pull pots on the volumes for coil tapping, the Hipshot bridge with Sperzels and stainless steel frets.

6. drezdin

drezdin Member

+1
    I was going to send you an email for an update, but I guess that answers my question.

Eric, I'm getting the same pickup/ wiring setup on my guitar with the same tuners, bridge and frets. Cool!
    Will warmoth do the routing for the bridge for you?

7. Saul Koll

Saul Koll Member

Last I heard, they were in plating. I can't wait to get that thing strung up!

Cheers,

Saul

8. Jim Soloway

We've stopped using pau ferro for our 7-strings. I love the sound and feel of PF, but I don't think it's stiff enough for a the added tension of a 7. For the last few years, all of our 7-strings (including the 2 that I play now) have had cocobolo boards and they seem much more stable to me.

9. drezdin

drezdin Member

Kool,
    thanks for the update!

10. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

Nope, Warmoth won't do custom bridge routing. So I'm going to have leave it unrouted for a bridge and find somebody local that can do it. They'll do a Floyd, but I don't want the hassle. Plus every guitar with a Floyd I get my hands on all I do is divebomb. That and a good two point trem, low friction nut and locking tuners really stay in tune well and are very easy to change strings. That and I have heard nothing bad about Hipshot tremolos so that made my decision easy.

11. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

If I may ask, what sort of trouble are you running into with pau ferro boards on 7 strings? I like the look and the tone but if its going to be a nuisance I want to avoid it.

12. Jim Soloway

It's not something that is really obvious, but we've built 11 7-string's and the stiffer the neck the better they play. The pau ferros take longer to settle in. They don't seem to stay in tune quite as well (always a bit of an issue with a 7-string anyway). The low end from the 7-string also seems to benefit from the brighter attack of a harder fingerboard.

13. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

I knew I was going to need a rigid neck. If Pau Ferro won't cut it how about ebony? I know Warmoth won't touch cocobolo. Maybe I need to find a builder with better access to exotics. I know you use a fairly thin neck do you think a thicker neck would help?

14. Jim Soloway

We do use a thin neck, but our 7-string is a three piece laminate with a pair of graphite rods for re-inforcement. So it's fairly stiff. I've also owned over 30 7-string guitars built by other builders, so it's not just our guitars that I'm using as a frame of reference. And yes, I think ebony would probably be a bit stiffer.

15. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

Thanks for all your help Jim, I do appreciate it.

I knew I would get option anxeity. Back to the research.

16. Jim Soloway

No problem. I love talking guitars and 7-string is my obsession. Feel free to call or e-mail anytime if you get stuck. I can turn you on to a mess of cool 7-string pickup options as well.

17. OhioEric

OhioEric Member

Actually pickups are one of the few areas I have confidence in. I'm going with Bare Knuckles. Hand made and no upcharge for 7 string pickups! Sure they're a bit pricey compared to Duncan and such but the quality is amazing.

Back to the drawing board.

18. flexshock55

flexshock55 Guest

Warmoth makes decent stuff, but they do throw a lot of red tape up when it comes to customizing. Can't say I blame them though.

HEY JIM SOLOWAY... do you think wenge or bubinga would be robust enough to use for a 7-string neck? Thanks.

19. Jim Soloway

Neither would be my choice.

Bubinga may be robust enough, but it's VERY heavy and it would be likely end up being neck heavy.

I've had a 7-string with a wenge neck and I didn't like it at all. I thought it was really dead sounding.