Hipshot Baby Grand

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Aardvark, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

I would love to hear some feedback from people who have used this bridge. I see Chapin using them but not many others. How does it compare to a TOM or wrap bridge in tone and otherwise? Thanks.

2. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

My Chapin Hawk has this type of bridge. I don't know how it compares to other bridges but the guitar is killer and Bill Chapin is very fond of the Baby Grand.

3. phantasm

phantasm Member

I have one on a guitar Scott French built for me. Very light weight and sounds great. Can't really compare it since this is the only baby grand i've ever played and it's the only bridge this guitar has ever had on it.

I do like it a whole lot and i'm planning on using one on a guitar i'm putting together over the summer.

4. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I have one on a Scott French SF3 and I'm very happy with it (well-made, doesn't get in the way of my picking hand). It's hard to compare with other bridges as I would have had to play a similar SF3 with a TOM.

5. peedenmark7

peedenmark7 Member

I plan on using one on my next custom build...
    very cool idea !

6. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses so far. Anybody else care to report?

7. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I think I'll probably avoid the Baby Grand personally. I like their Hardtail Strat bridges though.

I can't find anywhere on Hipshot's website saying what material the Baby Grand is made out of, but Stewmac says it's milled from aluminum.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges...n-trem_bridges/Hipshot_Baby_Grand_Bridge.html

I suppose it has to depend on what you're after as far as sound goes, but when I put a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece on my '82 Les Paul, it started sounding cheap. And it's even worse when I play it unplugged. I don't like the resonance that aluminum it gave my guitar.

I've started kicking around the idea of a Tele with a wraparound style bridge, so what's available in that field sort of interests me. I've used the Schaller bridge a couple times, and IMO that should be better than it is (but it has decent sustain).

The Wilkinson/Gotoh bridge is pretty high on the list of bridges I'd like to try:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges...kinson_Gotoh_Adjustable_Bridge_Tailpiece.html

The LeoQuan Badasz is very good IMO, but people take it for granted.

I might just go with an old fashioned compensated Jr. type bridge. It's not like that'd throw Tele intonation off much worse than a 3-saddle ashtray bridge.