Hipshot tuners into a Classic Vibe Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johntoste, Feb 7, 2012.

1. johntoste

johntoste Member

2. wilder

wilder Member

The tuners on mine are fine. Any vintage Kluson safe-t-post style should drop right in if you're having an issue. The hipshots would likely require drilling.

3. johntoste

johntoste Member

Thanks Wilder. I suspect that the Gotoh Kluson style locking tuners are a safe bet, but I'm intrigued by the apparant mega-build and ease of use of the Hipshot Grip-Locks. I would like someone to comment definitively on the need of drilling or not.

Whenever I use the whammy, the tuning goes bad. I've replaced the nut with a Tusq XL without any improvement. This leads me to suspect the tuners don't hold as well as I'd like them to.

4. faithman2k

faithman2k Member

The hipshots were designed as direct replacements for Klusons. The screws go into the same places, you won't have to drill new screw holes. I've also been researching these tuners. The 18:1 ratio is attractive, but the exposed gears are something I am not particularly fond of.

5. jaycee

jaycee Member

Those are great tuners and work very well for me.

6. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I have some. Not the lockers, just the regular ones, but those are the smoothest, tightest holding tuners I've ever used. You can't go wrong with those.

7. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

One question I can't seem to get an answer for is whether the various dealers who stock these tuners (locking variety) have the staggered post height set. The staggered heights work very well on my Suhr, T-style guitar, and I'm interested in the Hipshots for the same reason (on another guitar).

Cheers,
    Thom

8. Fred132

Fred132 Member

I have some that came installed on a partscaster I bought. They work great!

9. johntoste

johntoste Member

I gave in and ordered a set today. Music 123 offered 15% off "today only". I would have contacted Hipshot directly and inquired about the availability of staggered pole heights but they cost more from the manufacturer. This may seem short-sighted of me but it's not that I'm cheap, it's that I'm broke.

Thanks all for chiming in; I'll resusitate this thread when I get them into the guitar.

10. football

football Silver Supporting Member

Did you end up installing the Hipshots? If so, how do you like them?

11. johntoste

johntoste Member

They are beautiful tuners and I like them very much. They are heavier than the Kluson style and I did need to drill to mount them.

On the other hand, the original tuners were not the cause of my tuning problems. After first replacing the nut and then the tuners to no avail, I replaced the trem plate. The holes for the mounting screws on the original trem plate were out of round and therefore unable to return to pitch. I installed new screws and trem plate (from Killer Guitar Components) and now my tuning problems are over.

I advise anyone who may be experiencing tuning issues with their Classic Vibe Strat to check the trem plate first. My original nut and tuners were fine. Live and learn.