Hired Guns on Amazon

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Traintrack, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Anyone catch this?

Cannot (as per the Rules here) say what I want to say about Billy Joel...

scotth, Lt Dak, RoryGfan and 9 others like this.
  2. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

My friend picked up the dvd, very informative stuff. Liberty got shafted but in some sense he had to see the writing on the wall or at least what was coming down the road. Those guys are the next level players, especially Kenny A.

3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I saw this on DVD. Great doc if you like anything music related. Goes to remind us
    all that nothing ever lasts forever. :cool:

4. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

It's on Netflix. I dug it. The Billy Joel stuff surprised me, had no idea. Personally I really enjoyed all the Jay Graydon stuff. That's a doc in itself as far as I'm concerned.

5. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

Will check it out for sure

6. TheDropout

TheDropout Member

I will check this out on netflix tonight. Really hoping i dont get bad news about the piano man.

7. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 Member

Just added it to my Netflix queue. Thanks for the heads up:beer

8. 80tiger

80tiger Gold Supporting Member

Oh, this is a movie. I see. Never heard of it but I'll be sure and check it out. If it's about music I'm usually all in. :)

9. monty

monty Member

Tnx for the heads up. gonna watch it on Netflix.

gtrdave likes this.
  10. TheDropout

TheDropout Member

Billy Joel is dead to me

PaulE, lifeson1, Lt Dak and 12 others like this.
  11. Sunburst71

Sunburst71 Silver Supporting Member

Just saw this on Netflix. Great movie, really enjoyed it.

JiveJust, Anthony Gring and +NRG like this.
  12. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Rolling Stone had an article that was an "introduction" to the way Joel treated his
    band a couple of years ago.

It was done from the angle that he had hired the cover band "Big Shot" to be his
    actual backup band, and how unusual that was within the industry.

But reading between the lines, you could tell how his current band had gotten the
    shaft.

+NRG and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  13. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

saw it last night, definitely worth watching! It's a good accompany piece to Twenty Feet From Stardom

yeah Billy kinda douched it there, I definitely look at him in a different light now. I get it that maybe you wanna try something new, go in a new direction - that's fine. But be a man and have a sit down about it with the guys that helped you get where you are.

14. drewl

drewl Member

Kinda' the Wrecking Crew of the 70's and 80's.

How did Liberty get shafted? He had to know he was just a backing musician. Though I agree he is responsible for a good deal of Billy's early sound.
    Saw a concert film from the early 80's I think where he came down front and played a smaller drum kit for "You May Be Right" and just bashed the hell out of that kit.

15. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I watched this yesterday... Man, if you’re looking for something to affirm your your decision not to go into the music business, this is it. I guess none of it was necessarily surprising, but I guess the thing that stuck out to me was how many of these people are living paycheck to paycheck essentially and kind of barely scraping by.

Lt Dak, Hamer95USA, agbiggs and 5 others like this.
  16. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

I was up really late last night watching this so my recollection may be hazy but besides Billy Joel didn't Richard Patrick (Filter) come of as a huge d-bag too?

Basically reveling in the fact he paid his band next to nothing?

Oh yeah and Billy Joel was/is a douche if that's how it all went down but we never heard his side of the story either so we should keep that in mind. The show did seem to zero in on him a lot and maybe since we never heard from Joel that there was an axe to grind? Just playing devils advocate.

Richard Patrick though was interviewed and seemed to me to actually be relishing in the fact he paid the guys helping him next to nothing. If I understood that correctly he needs someone to tune him up.

scotth, lifeson1, Lt Dak and 9 others like this.
  17. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

That part reminded my of someone who was raised by an abusive parent turning around and abusing his own kids or something... It was kind of odd because it started off with him complaining how he hated working with Trent Reznor, but then he turned around an treated his band the exact same way. On one hand, I think it's because the guys playing for that sort of group are really kind of expendable. But on the other hand, I don't think it excuses being a horrible band leader.

18. bdonnelly

bdonnelly Supporting Member

Watched it last night on Netflix. Really enjoyed it. My wife got tix to see Billy Joel on the 20th here in NYC and now I just kinda want to burn them.

CJrocks, woodylong, conanb and 3 others like this.
  19. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Exactly. I took it as "well I've been treated like sh*t (by Reznor) now it's my turn to be the as*hole" Then actually enjoying treating others who are helping you like crap.

That is by my standards the definition of a sh*tty human being. I can't sign off on someone like that.

el capitan and +NRG like this.
  20. sahhas

sahhas Member

it's on Netflix, i saw most of it last night. a good doc, sort of eye opening in a way. the interesting thing is I still have a hard time seeing Randy Rhoads as the "hired gun" b/c he just seems to be the main part of Ozzy's 1st 2 albums....interesting stuff about Jason Newstead with Metallica, didn't know he was on weekly payroll for his first year with the band.

+NRG likes this.