Hired Guns on Amazon

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Traintrack, Dec 3, 2017.

1. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I've gotten that same vibe from him as well.

NB_Terry likes this.
  2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

How do you make "proper" studio coffee?

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Make it Irish?

CJReaper likes this.
  4. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Lordy Mama light my fuse Silver Supporting Member

Make it hurt.

Tony and A-Bone like this.
  5. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

It was interesting to watch. But I felt like they sifted through a ton of interviews and footage just to edit together the worst, most juicy 10% of it all, with the purpose of painting some nasty pictures. That's the point, I get it, but I still didn't like that about it. And I can't stick up for Billy Joel, but I'd still like to hear his side of it, if he even has one. I had a friend in college in the late 90's who was nuts for Joel, and she went to his spoken word tour and said Lib came out and joined in for part of it, so they couldn't have been TOO nasty, right? I'll have to ask her about that.

scotth likes this.
  6. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

The band didn't become Night Ranger until 1982 and Brad was established with them, but they were hardly a name at all. He was definitely a hired gun for Ozzy...as all of his guitarists are...and might have gone farther with him had he not chosen to return to NR. No one knew that NR would become so huge until after the fact, but that doesn't take away from Brad's short stint as a hired gun.
    Lukather is with the massively popular Toto, but his role as a hired gun isn't diminished at all by it.

SnidelyWhiplash and +NRG like this.
  7. JK47

JK47 Member

eh, judging by his personality, I'm not sure I would have ever hired him full time...

amstrtatnut likes this.
  8. JK47

JK47 Member

Yep. A lot of great players have their feet firmly glued in one spot and stare at the neck of their guitar all night. That doesn't get a crowd off.

9. AL30

AL30 Member

It was a fun, interesting movie. But, it seemed a little "thin". A few people had a sentence or two to say and then we never heard from them again. I'd like to see some of the things that got edited.

Tony likes this.
  10. somecafone

somecafone Member

I watched it last night.
    I would agree with this.
    It did seem a bit too metal/rawk-centric.

Alice Cooper seems to have his head screwed on straight and appreciates what he has, and his place.

Instead of so much Ozzy/QR from Rudy, I would have preferred more Kenny A and yeah, guys like Vinnie C and Omar Hakim.

Billy Joel?
    There was a quick reference to points on the records being eliminated. That was a hell of a thing.
    And yeah, he handled it very, very badly.
    I liked Lib’s comment that you’re never fired, you’re just not asked to do the next thing.

Posts here have likened it to 20 Feet or The Wrecking Crew.
    I think a closer parallel would be Standing In the Shadows of Motown.

80tiger and tribalfusion like this.
  11. Omega

Omega Member

I just took it to portray a more extreme situation of a sideman - one that has to step in to fill a very well known and beloved player, and on top of that, one that had just tragically died. Showing the additional pressure of big time show, no time to learn the songs and gel with the band, and negative attitude from the fans initially. Very tough, I'd imagine.

12. jtexasflood

jtexasflood Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing. He's a phenomenal guitar player and has played with Chris Cornell and Melissa Ethridge. Yet, most average music listeners probably have no clue who he is.

MattC and +NRG like this.
  13. somecafone

somecafone Member

I have the utmost respect and admiration for Pete aka @sinasl1

But the more interesting story to me would be John Shanks.
    He went from ME-sideman to songwriter for some pop acts to producing the last VH record.

And I seem to recall he has an R9/Historic burst named after him.
    That’s gotta earn him some real points here.

14. jtexasflood

jtexasflood Supporting Member

Good point. Maybe they didn't want to have 2 current Bon Jovi guitar players? Not sure. Fantastic player though as well. I guess they could have picked a bunch of players but had to narrow it down somehow.

15. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I was very put off by him. He painted Cliff as this genius and then went on to talk about how he replaced him. Maybe he meant it as humble but, it came off like bragging. Plus, no offence to the metal guys here but, I dont see playing bass in metallica as the same pinnacle of basshood that Newsted seems to think it is.

stratohiker and JK47 like this.
  16. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Joel seemed to be badly portrayed in general. Even the interview clips seemed to be carefully chosen to make him look sleazey. Not defending him but, it didnt seem unbiased.

Arent you guys all glad you got "real" jobs?

Tom Gross likes this.
  17. JK47

JK47 Member

I mean, in a way I am, but I had a couple shots that I do wish would have worked out. It wouldn't have been fame or glory or any of that, but there are two bands I had a shot at joining almost 10 years ago that are still playing music for a living to this day.

amstrtatnut likes this.
  18. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I was never really "good enough". But my family life is really good. I could not imagine what the turmoil and chaos of road life mixed with massive job insecurity would have done to my family.

Tony, SnidelyWhiplash and stratohiker like this.
  19. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I think it was a bigger deal to Newstead because he was a massive fan of the band before getting the opportunity to join.

amstrtatnut likes this.
  20. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Lordy Mama light my fuse Silver Supporting Member

Yeah - I thought he seemed OK considering the mess when he left, rehab, wanting to do his own project, yadda yadda.
    Seems like they are cool with each other - the rnr hall induction, playing a few shows.
    I guess what I'm saying is it definitely could be a lot worse.

Custom50 likes this.