Hired Guns on Amazon

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Traintrack, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Neenja

Neenja Member

It did make Jason Newsted's story fit a little better IMHO.

Gasp100 likes this.
  2. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Brew it once, run it through the coffee grounds a second time, take it outside and hold it up to the brutal Southern California sun and if you can't see any light through the coffee it's ready. ;)

Pixies2005, Tony, BarryE and 4 others like this.
  3. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Ha! I used to just mix it w/ hot chocolate and that would be enough to keep me buzzed into the wee hours.
    And then we'd run over to Tommy's Burgers on Roscoe for food, usually chili dogs, at 3am or so.
    Shivaun would always give us excellent late-night rates, so we took advantage of it every chance we got.

CJReaper likes this.
  4. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

I have now high regards for Alice Cooper. And Pink!

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

LOL...got it!

CJReaper likes this.
  6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Thanks, watched it yesterday very cool. I admire all of those guys and when I was younger I envisioned myself being a studio musician... oh well.
    Something about Phil X, I just don't get it really. Seems like a cool guy, just not my speed.
    It's so cool to have all of these outlets to learn more about the music business these days. When I was growing up (80's) you would never see a documentary on studio musicians. Really neat look into that world, although almost everyone interviewed had some years behind them... imagine how hard it is to break into that now!
    Oh, and the chick guitar player for Alice Cooper is really good and super hot!

Baminated likes this.
  7. jtexasflood

jtexasflood Supporting Member

The first video I watched with Phil X was the Friedman Brown Eye 100 demo. I was interested in that amp at one time, until I saw the sticker price. Anyway, this dude in the video seemed like a coked up douche nozzle. Over time, he grew on me like a fungus. I watched more of his videos and talked to other people who had seen them and even someone who had met him. I started to realize quickly that he's just a really jazzed up guy about music and a goofball. Not to mention, a great guitar player. And a really nice guy to meet in person, apparently. Fittingly, the guy I talked to that met him is pretty similar to Phil. Just a music junkie who gets really excited about it. No chemical enhancement needed. I realize he's not everyone's cup of tea. All I'm saying is that his talent is undeniable and everyone can learn a thing or two from him.

lifeson1, Baminated, CJrocks and 3 others like this.
  8. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

When I was growing up all we had was Tommy Tedesco's column in Guitar Player.

Brooks, silky_sam, MrSteve and 6 others like this.
  9. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

I watched half of this last night. Didn't like it at all. These people are nothing like the Wrecking Crew.

Did that Steve what's-his-face really say he played all the guitar on 'Beat It'?

Baminated and neastguy like this.
  10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I so miss those. Back in the day when GP was worth subscribing to. :cool:

11. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Member

Yea..but i think in his head he was thinking more about the track than the solo. Cause he did play all the guitar and bass parts minus the solo.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Brooks, Baxtercat and CRBMoA like this.
  12. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

Watched this a few nights ago - the advice that Trent Reznor gave to the guy from Filter was perfect.

But overall, I didn't really like the movie - it seemed to go out of its way to bash on Billy Joel.

13. river_jetties

river_jetties Member

I noticed that too but figured it was a slip of the tongue regarding the solo.

gtrdave likes this.
  14. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Oh yes, I made many a late night run to Tommy's Burgers as well, also Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ and the liquor store next door. I remember working 19 hour shifts and it got to the point where we were supplementing our coffee with chips and hot sauce to keep us awake. Joe B. ordered a bunch of "boutique" hot sauce and it actually helped keep us alert. ;)

gtrdave likes this.
  15. mrMix

mrMix Supporting Member

I prefer to give my $ to Big Shot - $20 goes a much longer way!

16. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I think points 2 & 3 can be hard to reconcile. You want someone who is always "ON" for the crowd but not necessarily on the bus etc.

17. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..." Silver Supporting Member

Watched it on Netflix.
    Great documentary.
    Everyone who thinks they want to be a professional musician should watch it.

Also, something they very briefly touch on but I think is very important point most people miss:
    Moreso than any other field you always have to hustle. For the gig, for the next gig, etc...
    And you've got to have a "side hustle" as well so when you aren't touring so you are still making money.

Pixies2005 and gtrdave like this.
  18. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

This. Make noise, rattle cages, be annoyingly persistent, network, etc...but you have to put yourself out there in order to even get a chance to try for the gig.
    And a big thing to remember, especially in this age of instant and constant information and digital retention of EVERYTHING: be careful what you say and who you say it to because friends-of-friends are everywhere and people talk and ticking-off the wrong person could make the difference between working and sitting at home.

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Phil X can play AND sing. His hyperactive shtick gets old though and Hes not my favorite gun for hire. That would go to Doug Rappaport who is amazing. The thing that gets me is that these 30 something top guns playing for legacy acts would have been absolute rock stars in the 80's and now their just another guy with a guitar.

lifeson1 and Gasp100 like this.
  20. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Not to mention the level of talent you need just to be considered for the job.