• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Hired Guns on Amazon

loudboy

Yeah, I see your point but, Im thinking Tom could have "gone a different direction" at any time.
He did a few times, but other than the Wilburys, Campbell and Benmont were always there.

Blair quit of his own accord, and then came back. Howie died. Lynch made it very clear that he wasn't happy, so who knows what happened there?

Chris Scott

No from public high school. He did grow up right by Oakwood though and may have gone there earlier. Also at same high school same year was Mike Landau (a year younger), Steve Porcaro, John Pierce (year older), Kevin McCormick (year younger), Kevin DuBrow, Johnette Napolitano and a few others. Google some of the names you don't know and I'm sure you'll see some credits you do.

Kind of made getting up at lunch time in the quad with your band a little more stress related...
I had some good friends that went there, and I thought all the Porcaro bros. and SL went as well...guess I was wrong.

You mentioned John Hanlon in an earlier post...he's been a close friend for over 40 years, and actually lived with my mom and I in Malibu when he first moved out from Manchester, New Hampshire...the guy actually rode his HARDTAIL Harley chopper all the way to L.A....I still cringe when I think of it...

The guy's got a huge work ethic, and has done well for himself...still works for Neil Young, still in Malibu...just spoke with him Sunday, he's fine and dealing with the Santa Ana fueled fire madness like everyone else.

AndyZ

I had some good friends that went there, and I thought all the Porcaro bros. and SL went as well...guess I was wrong.

You mentioned John Hanlon in an earlier post...he's been a close friend for over 40 years, and actually lived with my mom and I in Malibu when he first moved out from Manchester, New Hampshire...the guy actually rode his HARDTAIL Harley chopper all the way to L.A....I still cringe when I think of it...

The guy's got a huge work ethic, and has done well for himself...still works for Neil Young, still in Malibu...just spoke with him Sunday, he's fine and dealing with the Santa Ana fueled fire madness like everyone else.
I think the Porcaros and Luke went to Oakwood at some point, but they all went to Grant High as well. I've got pics from high school coming out in Luke's book soon of their band Still Life which eventually morphed in some ways into what would become Toto. At both 17 Steve is playing his 59 LP and Landau his early 60s Strat they were known for. Steve P playing keys of course. I first met Steve Porcaro in Jr High. First time I saw him play there he was pounding away at a Farfisa. He lived about 2-3 blocks from me.

Yea Hanlon! Just ran into him couple of weeks ago getting gas. Too funny! It always ending up in gear geek talk! I'm just north of him a few miles. I know the Chopper story. I've told him a few times to get a bike again and come riding with me.

Chris Scott

I think the Porcaros and Luke went to Oakwood at some point, but they all went to Grant High as well. I've got pics from high school coming out in Luke's book soon of their band Still Life which eventually morphed in some ways into what would become Toto. At both 17 Steve is playing his 59 LP and Landau his early 60s Strat they were known for. Steve P playing keys of course. I first met Steve Porcaro in Jr High. First time I saw him play there he was pounding away at a Farfisa. He lived about 2-3 blocks from me.

Yea Hanlon! Just ran into him couple of weeks ago getting gas. Too funny! It always ending up in gear geek talk! I'm just north of him a few miles. I know the Chopper story. I've told him a few times to get a bike again and come riding with me.
Small world bro...may be a long-shot, but I don't suppose you know Doug Messenger?...

At any rate, hope you dodged all the fire bullets up there, and maybe I'll see you up at the Rock Store (or any of the myriad of cool rides to be had in L.A. county) next time I'm up there.:cool:

AndyZ

Small world bro...may be a long-shot, but I don't suppose you know Doug Messenger?...

At any rate, hope you dodged all the fire bullets up there, and maybe I'll see you up at the Rock Store (or any of the myriad of cool rides to be had in L.A. county) next time I'm up there.:cool:
No kidding! Don't know Doug though. So far safe from fires this time... Yea next time you're in town PM me! Rock Store or Neptunes. Don't have to twist my arm for that!

wahfreak

Silver Supporting Member
Makes you wonder.....Would you rather be the broke nice guy or the rich assh*le? Apparently many have taken the latter route.

pfrischmann

I watched half of this last night. Didn't like it at all. These people are nothing like the Wrecking Crew.

Did that Steve what's-his-face really say he played all the guitar on 'Beat It'?
Steve Lukather. he meant the track, not the solo. Check out his discography when you get a chance. It's pretty ridiculous. I think he's played on more albums than I own. You would be hard pressed to find very many pop albums recorded between '82- '95 that didn't have at least one member of Toto playing on it.

sws1

Steve Lukather. he meant the track, not the solo. Check out his discography when you get a chance. It's pretty ridiculous. I think he's played on more albums than I own. You would be hard pressed to find very many pop albums recorded between '82- '95 that didn't have at least one member of Toto playing on it.
I think he was being intentionally vague, while not technically wrong. People do it all the time.

BadAssBill

southofnash.com
Gold Supporting Member
I haven’t seen the doc yet. Missed the one-off theatrical showing, and have not streamed it yet.

But this sort of thing has been going on for years.
I know Sammy Hagar left his band hanging when he joined VH.
It was so bad for at least one member he was mowing lawns.
And an ex-member of Wings told me about some issues he had with McCartney.

What’s worse, IMO, is former “bands” who become a singer plus somebody, financially speaking.
Live did it.
Counting Crows did it.

The Tom Petty bio recounted the day of reckoning in that band.
Mike Campbell summed it up as rich, richer, richest.
But Stan Lynch left as he said it felt more and more like he was a sideman.

One counter to all this is Brad Paisley.
He’s said as he became more successful, he paid the road band better.
I don’t know if they play in the studio, too.
But I appreciate that about him.
I had a chance to meet Brad's rhythm guitarist, Gary Hooker, at a guitar show in Nashville while at Bill Crook's booth....GREAT guy. I got to talk to him about his experiences traveling the world, playing guitar. What a life he has led. He talks as though the band is family. He's been playing with Brad for a crazy amount of time...I think it was over 20 years.

I know we take these things personally, as a lot of sports folks do, but at the end of the day this is a business. That doesn't mean you crap on people or screw them over....but side men, like in any business, bring a skill set to complete a job. We would all hope that they get treated with respect as musicians, human beings and family providers...but as with any "contractor" there are great times and there are slim times. The music business just as a weekend warrior cover band has changed so much in 10 years....I can't imagine how much it's changed in the big boy music biz.

Also, Lukather used to write a column in one of the guitar mags on how to be a great studio musician. I'm no studio musician, but they were always insightful and honest. He would explain why he did what he did to get a certain gig and why it did or didn't work out. Fascinating.

Last edited:

27sauce

It’s kind of interesting, the studio guys and the road band divide.

It’s cool when the artist uses their road band in the studio, imo.

Same guys playing on all the hits across the board for 15 years...

Seems to be an underlying “us and them” vibe.

MattC

Sad to hear some especially clueless people here continuing to crap on the likes of Lukather. The guy has played on every type of record you can imagine over a four+ decade career, and his chops and songwriting skills are beyond reproach. That's okay though, just keep believing he's just that guy who plays on Africa, Hold the Line, and some random 80s shlock. Now, back to your regularly scheduled lawyer/dentist blooze.

Watched it last night on Netflix. Really enjoyed it. My wife got tix to see Billy Joel on the 20th here in NYC and now I just kinda want to burn them.
We saw him at Suntrust Park last April... was super excited leading up to it. Couldn’t wait for that show to be over. It just went on way to long and he played a few odd songs and partial versions of great songs as impressions... which aggravates me. You don’t have to cut Georgia on my Mind to 90 seconds - it’s a 2:30 minutes song!?:messedup

I’d rank it about 4 from the bottom given the 75-100 shows I’ve been to in the last 6 years: so jimmy bufffet cover band, local bar band, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel :dunno

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I saw him last year in MSG (great seats) and it was one of the best live shows I have ever been to in my entire life. Sorry you did not enjoy it!

Baminated

I watched half of this last night. Didn't like it at all. These people are nothing like the Wrecking Crew.

Did that Steve what's-his-face really say he played all the guitar on 'Beat It'?
He may have said "guitar parts" , not "guitar tracks" . In studio lingo, a solo is NOT a "part"

Trending Topics