Hissing coming from my Boss OS-2

SamiB

Alright, this is my first post but I have read some stuff on here before. I'm not very knowledgeable about pedals and stuff so help me out here.. I've had this pedal for about 2 and a half years, and it had worked fine pretty much the whole time. Around Christmas, I got a Nano Big Muff and I didn't have enough patch cables, and I was too lazy to get one, nor did i need it, so I took the OS-2 out and replaced it with the Nano Big Muff. Recently I plugged it back in because I finally got some patch cables, and noticed this slight hiss, even when it's not on. Of course, when I turn it on, it gets way louder, and when I turn my Big Muff on, it makes it louder too. So matter what, I get this hiss I've tried changing the settings on the pedal, and it will reduce it some, but not enough. I've tested, it is definitely this pedal. I've tried using a battery instead of a 9v adapter, didn't work. What is this, and what can I do about it?

I know it might sound stupid, but i recently had a similar issue qith my od-3... Try removing any buffers before or after, or even put it up first just for the sake of testing. A lot of buffers, especially placed nearby, can amplify hiss.

Of course, i assume you re using an isolated supply and no daisy chains. What are the other pedals in your chain and how are you powering them up?

And try a battery so as to exclude the power supply noise in case you re daisy-chaining :) Please report back with your findings :)

SamiB

I know it might sound stupid, but i recently had a similar issue qith my od-3... Try removing any buffers before or after, or even put it up first just for the sake of testing. A lot of buffers, especially placed nearby, can amplify hiss.

Of course, i assume you re using an isolated supply and no daisy chains. What are the other pedals in your chain and how are you powering them up?
:( I am using a daisy chain to power all of my pedals. I'm pretty new to all of this pedal stuff sorry. It goes from guitar, Wah, Nano Big Muff, Nux Mod Core, Boss OS-2, then amp. I keep the OS-2 at the end simply for convinience because I take it off so often. And I have tried a battery, but only in the OS-2.

No worries, just try what was suggested above and come back with the details so that we can troubleshoot this - the more specific you are, the more people will chime in to help you :)

Good luck and don t despair :) :)

based on info provided id assume its a bad patch cable. remove the OS2 from the chain and see if its still hissing. if not try putting it back in but with another patch cable, remove another pedal if you need to for the sake of this test.

ironman28

Gold Supporting Member
Just to clarify you are hearing a hissing noise and not a hum or buzz?
Hissing sounds like this:

A cable cannot add hiss to your signal but an active gain circuit like a overdrive/distortion or fuzz can. Multiple pedals in series can amplify the noise as the gain is increased. Try re-ordering your pedals with the gain pedals first. It is possible a bad cable is attenuating your signal and you are compensating by turning up the gain on the Boss

Then the power supply can be the issue, what is it? Only regulated power supplies are guaranteed to work without excessive noise issues.

Tried with a battery?

Trending Topics