Historic 335 Score!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by No Code 5, Mar 7, 2006.

1. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I picked up a used Historic 59 ES-335 this past weekend. Oh yes, my two month gear whore binge can finally end as I really found what I was looking for.

Here is what I went through:
    (almost bought a historic 335 online)
    '52 Tele Relic
    R4 Les Paul
    Gretsch Setzer SSLVO
    Gretsch Black Phoenix
    Martin D-18VE
    Martin D-28 Marquis

So I guess the 335 is the culmination of all of these (and I should have gone with my first instinct). It has the attitude and rock ability of the tele and les paul, the acoustic nature of the Martins (not really, but in the confines of this analogy), and the bigger body of the gretschs. :D :NUTS :confused: :AOK

The best part... the price. At GC, tagged for $2899 (the price I see these going for)... but I worked the price down and it was mine for $2250 out the door.

the guitar is an 05 and has been played, but is in good condition. Wonderfully broken in and just a monster of a guitar.

my email address finally makes sense again (I established it over 4 years ago when I had a 335). lol

2. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Congrats! Finding a 335 (or any guitar) that's just right for you is always a great thing. Enjoy

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I don't mean to deflate your bubble, they are fabulous guitars, but what you bought may have been a 'reissue 335', but it's unlikely that it's a custom shop 'historic reissue', COA and all. If it has a 'dot' fretboard, and is a historic, it would have the extended pickguard that goes beyond the bridge, and, of course, the COA and custom shop case. I only mention this because the $2800 price is the street price for reissues, but I've never seen a historic (new) anywhere near that. It's a slick bit of semantic marketing Gibson does with these...calling it a reissue, but not a (CS) historic reissue. OTOH, if it truely is the historic, you got a steal! In any case, it's still an awesome guitar. Enjoy! AC

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

I own a 59 Historic Reissue and can tell you that its the nicest guitar I've ever owned. Gibson definitely got this one right!

Congrats!

-KD

5. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

It is most definitely a Historic (albeit used)... it has the orange sticker inside the body with the serial A 95XXX, no serial on the headstock, fat 59 profile neck, Klusons, COA, Custom Shop case, more thin finish, plain wood, extended pg... I knew what I had as soon as I picked it up.

:dude :dude :dude

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Then congrats my friend. You did indeed steal that bugger! Play the hell out of it! AC :AOK

7. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

pics???

8. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

What do you care?!?!? :mad::BITCH

9. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I am working on that part.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Ya know, I've sold over 25 guitars over the years, and the ONLY one I truely regret selling is my (former) historic 335. Only a 335 has THAT sound, and I miss it. I'm sure I'll end up with another eventually, especially if I find a deal like yours. AC

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i am deeply hurt by that comment, im a guitarplayer of course i f**king care!:mad: :BITCH

12. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

in other guitarplayer's-not-caring news:mad: i ordered my Weber speakers today, theyll be here in 2 weeks. also dont care about the bulk of GE 5751's im getting. and couldnt care less about getting a new BJF pedal.:rolleyes:

13. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Well I definitely don't care about any of that... :D

14. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

congrats! i've been wanting a 335 myself. i also negotiate with gc everytime i buy used gear. my strategy is to time my purchase towards the end of the month or if possible towards the end of the quarter when the sales people are encouraged to meet revenue targets. on gear $2K and above, i've been able to "save" $400-$600 off the sale sticker price. you sure are lucky with that deal of yours.

15. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

With places like GC timing is everything. You have to catch one that hasn't sold and has been hanging up a while. I want a regular old production model 335.

16. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

Is it a blondie? (you said plain wood)

I've got a 05 Historic 335 59 RI, Blonde, it's awesome! Congrats on yours, enjoy!

17. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Not a Blondie... it is a Redhead... I feel like Marty McFly from Back to the Future... only I am quite a bit taller than Michael J Fox... LOL...

18. KLB

KLB Member

What is the normal price for a new CS Historic 335?

19. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I see them with a Retail price of around $3800 (I am not sure on the street price, maybe $3200-$3300). They are expensive fiddles.

That is part of the reason I am so excited about the deal. I didn't think I would be able to afford one.

I cleaned it up and put on some new strings. I will need to check the intonation and setup now (no idea what the size the old strings were, good old GC had some ANCIENT strings on the guitar.
    One of them broke in my hand when trying to take them off last night :jo just completely rotted away.

20. SLG

SLG Member

Wow, that's a very good price even for a used Historic. I've spent the last few years looking for a great sounding ES335. The Gibson Historics are the best of the bunch, but they are pricey. I gave up on finding a good sounding, well built standard Gibson ES335. In the end, I bought a pair of the Epiphone Elite series ES335's. They played and sounded better than all the standard Gibsons I had tried over the past couple of years. I'd still like to get a Historic someday. At $2250 I wouldn't hesitate to snap one up.