Historic 54 Gold Top

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Wrap around bridge, p90's, 2x4 neck and that Gold finish. Oh my!

I want one. I need one.

2. sinner

sinner Supporting Member

Since you're GASing, here's a look at my 04 R4 to get the fire hot under you:

[​IMG]
    2004 Historic 1954 RI (with RS aging, electronics, parts; TonePros locking tailpiece studs; RS Fralin P-90s)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

Yes! You do! :Devil

Can't even really "gush" about specifically why I like mine so much. They are just great, GREAT guitars. Unique, vibrant, expressive voice.

I don't know why P-90s aren't more popular. It's like being caught up in a cult of tone freaks, or something. :crazyguy

[​IMG]

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Had one on order until my dream guitar presented itself (86 PRS Standard), and I had to cancel.

I plan to get one. Cool stuff.

5. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Thats a fabulous pic. Unusual angle on the guitar, and it just looks dead sexy :AOK
    Theres a little section on the Carl Verheyen DVD where he plays some ancient LP, with P90's, thru a drive into a little Fender. It sounds like having a velvet milkshake poured into your ears. :)

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

A variation on the theme.....'03 TQ R4 Braz:

[​IMG]

7. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

Great pic of a great guitar :AOK

Just checking out that blue velvet backing - do you by chance work as a baby photographer? :)

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have one, it doesn't suck.

[​IMG]

9. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

I don't see the R4 on Gibson's website anymore. I had a chance to buy a 2003 R4 w/ Braz board but couldn't pull the trigger :jo

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Oh man, that's the one. I like P-90s, but I get along so much better with humbuckers. I've got an Oxblood R4 that's basically like this goldtop. She needs a sister...

11. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I own 12 electric guitars. My favorite, out of 4 other historics, is a 1986 54 reissue. It has an acoustic growl to it that is hard to describe. Totally stock, it sounds amazing and can cover country, jazz, rock, blues, funk---anything. So versatile, so alive. I've been playing on gigs for 10 years, and it always exceeds my expectations. A wonderful instrument. I have the pickguard on mine---just looks and feels right, IMO. I rest my pinky there as well.

The wraparaound is such a huge element in the tone. I bought an early 54 Oxblood that also has the wraparound mojo.

12. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

My buddy had one at his store.I was too broke at the time to buy it.Fantastic guitar.

13. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

I really want a Gold Top with P-90's! Has anyone compared the 54 to the 56 RI? I've never played a wrap-around bridge like that. HOw do they compare to the usual Gibson bridge?

14. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Sweet looking stuff. I saw Duke Robilard live one summer at the Portland blues festival with one and I've been in love with gold tops ever since. Gotta get me one some day. I got my first LP about a year ago, and one good LP just deserves another!

Steve

15. HHB

HHB Member

stoptail bridge is really calling my name, I've finally grabbed an old LPjr and this may be the next Gibby I snag, coolest pauls going

16. mainsale

mainsale Member

More love here for the R4. Mine is a Cloud 9 in Brockburst....something a little different but with maximum TONE!:crazy

17. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I'd be interested in knowing the difference too. Had a '56 Goldtop for a couple of weeks way back in the late '60s. Sustained like a bell. Unfortunately, i couldn't come up with the $110 buy it :(

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Another variation of the '54....a '72 "58 reissue", converted to buckers, probably directly as a result of Jeff Beck and Blow by Blow. Pre-dates the TQ version of the same thing by 30 years and is one of the best sounding LP's I've heard.

[​IMG]

19. WordMan

WordMan Member

A wrap-tail one piece bolts more solidly into the body than a TOM, which is anchored with a couple of thinner posts. More vibrations are send directly into the body with a stop-tail. If the wood is good - i.e., resonant - you can hear the difference with a little more 3-D clarity and ring...

The feel is different, too for muting and other picking...

20. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

The wrap tail is the bomb diggity!

Very different from a TOM, more sting, sustain, different attack.
    My R4 resonates so much it gives me vetigo.

If you never owned a wraptail, or lust after a goldtop P-90 axe, get the R4.
    It is still on the Gibson website under "custom" or something.

Shalbe really nailed the description too. The damn guitar is so stoopid simple yet does SO many different things so friggin well.
    Great guitar!