Historic LP . . .Again

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dankayaker, May 12, 2008.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Second time is a charm. I had one of these and sold it . . . . . .I think I had convinced myself it was uncomfortable to hold during a particularly bad time with my shoulder. Anyway !

Here is my new 2008 R8 in Sunrise (Sunset ?) Teaburst. Bought site-unseen.
    A hair over 9lbs. Really nice grain in the neck, I was able to dial the action down to where I like in 5 minutes . . .and she holds tune pretty well. I'll
    still be sending her up to Phil Jacoby for a bone nut, stainless steel bridge posts and a Toneppros bridge . . . .but I'm in no hurry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Nice! Congrats.

Is it a 1-pc top, or just a really good join?

Edit, I think I can see the different grains of a 2-pc. But they did a good job with that.

3. hank

hank Member

Gorgeous. I just acquired a wonderful '06 R7 from a forum member. Good stuff.

4. dankayaker

It's a two piece top Dave. It's just a nice match . . I added the bottoom picture which shows a bit more warmth and richness.

5. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

6. dankayaker

Excellent . .I'm glad to hear that. I do notice that the high-E is pretty close to the bridge pickup ring . . . . but it causes no problems.

7. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

I agree, it took a good 10-15 seconds or so to spot the grain line. Excellent bookmatching to say the least.

8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Gotta say, you have a winner there, Dan!

:cool:

S.
    j

9. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Big-time R08 Sunburst jones here, I mean HUGE
    She's beautiful....:drool

jb

10. lp johnny

lp johnny Member

looks great...love those plain tops!

11. planetal

planetal Member

I keep telling myself that I don't need another guitar, especially another les paul, yet I really do want an R8. I'm less concerned about look and proper historic stuff, I'm more concerned about feel and tone. I have an R7 and it's a wonderful instrument in terms of tone, feel and playability.
    Anyway.. really nice guitar.. I hope it sounds and plays as good as it looks.

12. HeeBGB

HeeBGB Member

Gibson QC suxx so you should just send that thing to me for proper disposal! ;)

Just curious as to why you are going to replace the nut and hardware on a new guitar? I have a 99 R7 and aside from electronics it is still stock. Do you have previous experience with these upgrades? AND do they make THAT much of a difference? Just wondering why you wouldn't want to play the guitar for a bit before making these changes.

13. dankayaker

I had those mods done to my last R8. The Bone nut helped with tuning stability. There was a very noticable change in the guitars vibe with the new bridge and posts. Check the LP forum . . .they talk about this stuff in detail.

14. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Great Guitar. I lover my R8 in Tobacco, I did the RS guitar works volume and tone pot upgrades, Kluson Tuners, and Tonepros bridge and tailpiece.

Congrats!

[​IMG]

15. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I have an R7 and an R8. I bought these during the last year. Initially, in my excitement to enter the Les Paul world, I developed option anxiety regarding all the mods I could make. After living with the guitars, though, for a year, my perspective has changed a lot.

First, the Burstbuckers absolutely kill in the R7. I haven't been able to adjust them in the R8 to get quite as good so it could be the interaction between those pickups and that guitar. If I shop for replacements, it will just be for the R8.

With both guitars, I was initially frustrated with the loss of high end when I turned the volume down. Coming from a tele world, I am used to running no effects and having usable sounds at all volumes. However, with Gibsons much more than Fenders, I've learned that blend is a lot more of a factor. Fenders sit on top of a mix, Gibsons tend to become part of a cohesive sound (I know, just a generalization). The point is, that when I lose some high end and it remains unpleasantly gritty when I turn the volume on the guitar down, it doesn't sound so great by itself in my living room. However, when other instruments are playing, it blends real nicely. Therefore, I will likely pass on any componant upgrade.

Finally, I've owned a PRS in the past and currently have a Collings acoustic. Tuning is an absolute pleasure on those instruments. More of a challenge on the Les Pauls. I will have both of them looked at and upgraded tuners might be an option. However, I also know that as I get more playing time on them, the tuning problems seem to be going away. Maybe that is part of the breaking in process.

Hope this helps.