Historic Makeovers vs MCI

gearlovin

Platinum Supporting Member
Hi guys,
I've got to get one or the other without trying it.
Anything to say about one or the other.

Thanks

Herb Utsmelz

'Tis what 'tis
Silver Supporting Member
What's MCI?

Bonamassa's tech claims HM are the closest you can get to the real deal and they tour with one as a back up. There's a Rig Rundown video somewhere. That should speak volumes more than anything else you'd find here.

gearlovin

What's MCI?

Bonamassa's tech claims HM are the closest you can get to the real deal and they tour with one as a back up. There's a Rig Rundown video somewhere. That should speak volumes more than anything else you'd find here.

Thanks
MCI is Scott Sheldon take on les Paul
Supposely amazing also

Tim Plains

If construction and wood-to-wood contact matters to you, and you feel the neck joint is very important, get the replica. I have seen a few historic Les Pauls with the neck removed and the surface area where the neck/body touch is not always 100% flush. Any gaps are filled by glue. Then again, this is cork sniffery at its finest and it's impossible to tell if that has any effect overall. Don't get me wrong, I love historic Les Pauls, but it's just comparing good workmanship vs. not so good.

This thread will likely get squashed. I also suggest you lads delete any builder names mentioned so far.

gearlovin

If construction and wood-to-wood contact matters to you, and you feel the neck joint is very important, get the replica. I have seen a few historic Les Pauls with the neck removed and the surface area where the neck/body touch is not always 100% flush. Any gaps are filled by glue. Then again, this is cork sniffery at its finest and it's impossible to tell if that has any effect overall. Don't get me wrong, I love historic Les Pauls, but it's just comparing good workmanship vs. not so good.

This thread will likely get squashed. I also suggest you lads delete any builder names mentioned so far.

Are you talking about regular historic or work from Kim at HM

sws1

HM does finishes...not replicas. MCI does replicas. (It's been suggested elsewhere that some of those have been passed off as original bursts to unsuspecting buyers.)

I always fall on the side of buying from the people who own a brand...not those that are using it illegally.

gearlovin

HM does finishes...not replicas. MCI does replicas. (It's been suggested elsewhere that some of those have been passed off as original bursts to unsuspecting buyers.)

I always fall on the side of buying from the people who own a brand...not those that are using it illegally.

I'm looking to find as close as my burst so I can keep her home.

guitarnut_1

Try one of the replicas you intend to drop a substantial amount of cash BEFORE buying it. A bud of mine has 2 replicas from a rather unknow builder which cost 6K each thou. Supposedly old growth wood, "true" nitro.... etc. etc. , I tried them both and both sucked equally. A Gibson USA Std is a better guitar. Not saying other replicas are like that, but that was my experience.

Tim Plains

Are you talking about regular historic or work from Kim at HM
Both. Not knocking Kim's work, they do a great job, but he can only work on what Gibson provides.

Resale is another thing you might want to take into account. HM has a pretty good following/reputation and it will likely be easier to sell down the line. Replica values are highly dependent on who built them and it's harder to sell them now, even on the forums, as the listing often get deleted. Having said all that, I love my replica dearly.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking to find as close as my burst so I can keep her home.

Man, I would say if that's your goal, go shopping, play every Gibson Historic you can find, and pick your favorite. They are great guitars, and certainly more than good enough, and close enough, for any out-of-the-home playing experience. Would probably be worth flying to Colorado to spend half a day at Wildwood.

And if you eventually decide that it's not old enough looking for you, then send it to HM.

Good luck!

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Yes. I've had lot of the custom shop but it's far...

If they are that "far," do you think that putting a new (aged) finish and fretboard on a current (2013+) Reissue will get it much closer? I can't imagine it makes that much of a difference, especially if you're comparing an aged Reissue.

Sounds like you'll need to buy a clone to make yourself happy (Find a Gil Yaron clone. Put out a WTB post for one of those).

Last edited:

guru

I have 2 MCI's. A LP and an ES335. They are truly amazing. I have about 15 Les Pauls and most are historic, murphy's,etc. The MCI moved to the top of the pick list instantly. The ES335 has such a unique voice and personality. It may be the OG and the new finish combo that makes these unique, but I know in reality it has everything to do with the way they are handmade and put together.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
Hi guys,
I've got to get one or the other without trying it.
Anything to say about one or the other.

Thanks
Here's another option. How about a conversion? I have what started life as a 57 Jr.: Routs filled, Added Eastern maple carved top, '50s hardware and plastic (except pickup rungs), real PAFs. The guy even dissolved and reused the original finish scraped from the guitar. The closest you can get to a '50's burst without spending a fortune. Still looking at ~$10k, but an amazing guitar. PM me for builder's info if you like. (no affiliation)

Edit: mine has a (correct) Gibson logo and headstock, and is legit since it IS a Gibson. Its modified, but not a fake or copy.

gearlovin

I actually had one conversion for about 10 years. Amazing guit.
Put it in a sale as I was mainly playing my gustavsson.

It's really close to the real deal with the old Gibson mahogany and rosewood

Here's another option. How about a conversion? I have what started life as a 57 Jr.: Routs filled, Added Eastern maple carved top, '50s hardware and plastic (except pickup rungs), real PAFs. The guy even dissolved and reused the original finish scraped from the guitar. The closest you can get to a '50's burst without spending a fortune. Still looking at ~$10k, but an amazing guitar. PM me for builder's info if you like. (no affiliation)

Edit: mine has a (correct) Gibson logo and headstock, and is legit since it IS a Gibson. Its modified, but not a fake or copy.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom