Historic reissue Les Paul Juniors

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by goodtone, Oct 6, 2005.

1. goodtone

goodtone Member

Just like the previous Junior thread I too am addicted . Since the real deal is beyond my reach. I'm curious if anyone who has a Historic reissue can tell me what they like about it and how it sounds through their current rig ? May have to get one.

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I don't own one but can say that I've recently played one and was blown away, everything was right about the guitar, nothing was wrong. It had the huge neck, the mahogany was very tonefull and the P90 was so dialed in I wouldn't even think of "upgrading" it. I played it through a Marshall handwired 2061X, those two seemed to be made for eachother. I wish I had the bucks to buy it.

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I LOVE that antique white finish.
    It is on my hit list, that or an R4.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

OK. That's it! I'm gettin one! If anyone knows where there is good buy on one (Historics only), please reply.

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'm not tellin'! I may still spring for the one I played. It was the cherry finish. It's haunting me I tell ya, it's haunting me! Sheesh, I need a bib from drooling over it.

6. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Agree. I've bought several from them, through Bruce and Steve. Good straight shooters. Already called Steve (earlier today!), but he had none to my liking. I'll keep trying...

8. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have a tv yellow historic, and a real 57 sunburst junior. No the historic is not as good, but its REAL good despite it not being vintage. I could not spring for the ridiculous amount of money for a vintage tv yellow jr., so I picked up the historic.

I absolutely love this guitar, big neck, fat p90 sound, and sustain forever. A great sounding guitar for rhythm, and ripping leads. It sounds good through every amp, my favorite being a 69 super lead.

Every guitar must be judged on its own, I dont know if the next guy to buy a junior will be as lucky as I have been, but with the escalating prices of vintage jr.'s, its a pretty easy call.

This guitar is a keeper, of course that is what I say about all of them. Keep an eye out, I dont see them around as much as I would like.

9. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

these threads are killing me

10. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Okay, so I have an Historic '57 Jr. from the Custom Shop. This guitar is incredible! I use the volume knob from 2 to 10 and the tone control hovers around 7.5 or 8. I can get these beautiful sparkly arpeggios to fully raging, milkshake thick singing lead tones that have this incredible edge! This guitar is never harsh or thin. It is by far, the best sounding current production instrument that I have played. The neck is a beast that fits so well in my hands.
    I tried a few of the Jr.'s that Guitar Showcase in San Jose had and this one was the most open and woody sounding, while still retaining this punch and grind that is so infectous.

I have a handbuilt Zemaitis copy and a really great Strat as well. I can get a multitude of tones from those guitars and I love them dearly. But this guitar is my no. 1 and do not see that changing in the future. Everything that I need is in this guitar, especially for gigs. Huge range of quality tones, with less to deal with.

I play a pair of single channel amps and this guitar just rips with both of them!

The new Jr.'s at Showcase are going for around $1,900.00. Very nice guitars, but like with all others, I think that you need to play them first. They are so very different! I dug all of the guitars that I demoed when looking for a Jr., but this one that I got just kicked me in the a$$. It was a used piece that was about 3 mos. old. The orig. owner needed a neck pickup and traded this minty guitar in. For the price that I got it for, I scored! M.E.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sears

sears Member

I posted a pic of my historic on the "other" thread. I picked it up used a couple of years ago.

I played a lot of vintage juniors in the $1000-2000 price range and only one was flat-out better than the one I ended up getting (and at $2000 it was too rich for me). Old wood feels good, but what's it worth? And the old ones that are available aren't necessarily that great sounding.

SG Juniors can still be had for a fairly decent price. These give it up in a big way. I didn't like the neck joint.

The regular production Junior is a fine guitar and a bargain. I preferred the thick neck of the historic but if I needed quick money I would downgrade and live happily.

My historic can be heard on the second track of the myspace link in my sig. The song is strange but the guitar's right there. A Korg AC-15.

12. SimonBSinister

SimonBSinister Silver Supporting Member

I purchased a 05-57 LP JR in Vintage Burst from Dave Carpenter. The guitar kicks ass. The beauty of this guitar is it's simplicity.... Mine was in the $1500 range w/case. THe finish is way cooler than I expected. Great bargain.....

SBS

13. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

when i was looking for a jr i tried a ton of the historics, but then decided to order one from musiciansfried due to the free shipping and return policy. that way i couldn't lose if i didn't like it, right? well i got it and it sounded really great. i put in the RS electronics kit, pigtail bridge, and a lollar p-90 and it smokes so hard for a lot less than the historics. try ordering one from MF and if you don't like it for whatever reasons then send it back. you might save a few hundred. good luck on whatever you decide.

14. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I bought a les paul junior!!!! It's not a historic though. Just one of the newer vintage sunburst models from Gibson.